notify of dat???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentalstu02

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All
I am thinking about retaking the dat, am not sure yet. But if I do, I wanted to know if i should put in the application that i am retaking it, or if i should just fax the scores when i am done. I cannot retake it until november, and i dont want them to hold my app. Does anyone know how this works?? I am turning my app in this week....please let me know what i should do?? I am applying to about 15 schools now, and i need to know which is the better option...

Members don't see this ad.

Tell the schools the anticipated date of your retake! Now, as a caveat: only put this on the application if you are 100% sure you are going to retake it.

If your scores are low enough to warrant a retake, then most schools will hold onto your application (rather than denying you) to see what your new scores are. Bottom line is that telling the schools about the retake is a hugely positive thing, whereas telling them and NOT taking it is a negative thing.

If you aren't 100% sure, then don't put it on the application. If you decide to take it after the app. is sent out, call the schools personally and update them with your planned retake date. Good luck!

Thanks GavinC,
So that means that if you note it on the application, then they will wait to see your new scores unless they would have admitted you anyways with your 1st scores? Will they hold it regardless of if they would admit you with the first scores? That is my main concern in not putting it on my application, because the earliest i can take it is in mid-november, and my chances will suffer if they keep it on hold that long, correct??
Thanks