SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

notify of dat???

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Dentalstu02, Aug 22, 2002.

  1. Dentalstu02

    Dentalstu02 Member 7+ Year Member

    68
    0
    Jun 24, 2002
    Hey All
    I am thinking about retaking the dat, am not sure yet. But if I do, I wanted to know if i should put in the application that i am retaking it, or if i should just fax the scores when i am done. I cannot retake it until november, and i dont want them to hold my app. Does anyone know how this works?? I am turning my app in this week....please let me know what i should do?? I am applying to about 15 schools now, and i need to know which is the better option...
     
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. ItsGavinC

    ItsGavinC Dentist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

    11,749
    10
    Oct 7, 2001
    Arizona
    Tell the schools the anticipated date of your retake! Now, as a caveat: only put this on the application if you are 100% sure you are going to retake it.

    If your scores are low enough to warrant a retake, then most schools will hold onto your application (rather than denying you) to see what your new scores are. Bottom line is that telling the schools about the retake is a hugely positive thing, whereas telling them and NOT taking it is a negative thing.

    If you aren't 100% sure, then don't put it on the application. If you decide to take it after the app. is sent out, call the schools personally and update them with your planned retake date. Good luck!
     
  4. Dentalstu02

    Dentalstu02 Member 7+ Year Member

    68
    0
    Jun 24, 2002
    Thanks GavinC,
    So that means that if you note it on the application, then they will wait to see your new scores unless they would have admitted you anyways with your 1st scores? Will they hold it regardless of if they would admit you with the first scores? That is my main concern in not putting it on my application, because the earliest i can take it is in mid-november, and my chances will suffer if they keep it on hold that long, correct??
    Thanks
     

Share This Page