Notifying Alt. List School of Your Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Wyldstyle

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone can give me any feedback on this topic. If you are accepted to a school off the waitlist, would you advise telling your first choice school that you are also waitlisted that you had just received an acceptance with the hope that maybe they will review your application again for their school? Do you think this can hurt your application to your first choice school since they may think you have a spot for the fall?

Thanks. I feel like this is a no brainer question, but any feedback is greatly appreciated.

wyldstyle2000

Members don't see this ad.

i've actually heard that notifying your first choice school of another acceptance can HELP you because it shows that you're not pestering them simply because you have no other options and just want to be accepted somewhere--you actually have a chance to go somewhere else and you still want your first choice badly enough to gamble for an acceptance from them.

i'd say to go for it.

What about tact? I was going to call them, but maybe I'll write. It's just sounds weird when you tell them on the phone your situation.

i think you should either email or call the admissions office, preferably the dean or director. Writing may slow down the process, and you really don't have time to waste at this point. They may consider reviewing your application earlier based on the fact that you may have to matriculate elsewhere.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Neel