1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

notocord

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by arpitpatel86, May 15, 2008.

1. arpitpatel86

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    is the notocord made from the ectoderm or mesoderm layer......in the gastrulation section of the shaum's bio it says it is from ectoderm but when u go to the muscle section it says from mesdoerm?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. userah

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    umm i'm pretty sure the notochord is derived from the mesoderm. it's the neural tube that's derived from the ectoderm. i'm looking at the embryology section from schaum's now. where does it say that notochord comes from ectoderm? Is it under "Primary Germ Layers and Organ Formation" heading? or somewhere else...

under ectoderm, it just says that the nerve tube which is induced by the notochord, the ectoderm also produces the entire nervous system. It doesn't mention anything about the notochord actually being derived from the ectoderm though...

EDIT:
    the nervous system is derived from the ectoderm. The development of the nervous system is induced by the effects of the notochord on the nerve tube. i'm pretty sure that's how it works. the actual notochord is derived from mesodermal germ layer

4. arpitpatel86

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    my bad...i read it wrong thanks tho

5. Cofo

Cofo Super Cool Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    the notochord is first made from the mesoderm layer. its a part of the neural tube. then the notochord becomes cartilige, which becomes a vertebrae.