SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by arpitpatel86, May 15, 2008.

1. arpitpatel86

arpitpatel86 2+ Year Member

May 9, 2008
    is the notocord made from the ectoderm or mesoderm the gastrulation section of the shaum's bio it says it is from ectoderm but when u go to the muscle section it says from mesdoerm?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. userah

userah 7+ Year Member

Aug 9, 2007
    umm i'm pretty sure the notochord is derived from the mesoderm. it's the neural tube that's derived from the ectoderm. i'm looking at the embryology section from schaum's now. where does it say that notochord comes from ectoderm? Is it under "Primary Germ Layers and Organ Formation" heading? or somewhere else...

under ectoderm, it just says that the nerve tube which is induced by the notochord, the ectoderm also produces the entire nervous system. It doesn't mention anything about the notochord actually being derived from the ectoderm though...

the nervous system is derived from the ectoderm. The development of the nervous system is induced by the effects of the notochord on the nerve tube. i'm pretty sure that's how it works. the actual notochord is derived from mesodermal germ layer
  4. arpitpatel86

arpitpatel86 2+ Year Member

May 9, 2008
    my bad...i read it wrong thanks tho
  5. Cofo

Cofo Super Cool Member 5+ Year Member

Dec 18, 2006
    the notochord is first made from the mesoderm layer. its a part of the neural tube. then the notochord becomes cartilige, which becomes a vertebrae.