Nov.6th Canadian DAT

Started by pbure
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pbure

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Whats up fellow canucks? So how'd everyone find it?
Personally..

1. Carving was a biatch. Those fluted ends coming off the square were very annoying..
2. Bio had a few weird questions but overall I think it was fine.
3. Chem wasn't too bad at all except for about 2 or 3 esotheric theory questions..
4. PAT was not easy..as expected. Top right end was tricky, angles were not that bad but still fairly difficult. Keyholes were ok. They put so many cube diagrams..like 1 entire picture for just 1 question that was annoying. I had to rush by the last few pattern folding ones because of that.
5. I destroyed reading comprehension. Found the questions very straightforward. Had time to burn at the end but others complained about the length. ?? I don't know..

* Does anyone know how we are graded? I heard its in relation to everyone else who took the test that day. So does that mean a 37/40 on Bio might equal only a 20 if everyone else did really well? I'm not sure how that all works..
 
i took the test today as well. I was surprised that one weird keyhole question was taken straight from the prep manual.
the carving was quite difficult, and i ran out of time🙁 I couldnt totally straighten out the last flute.

the schools i am applying for do not look at science so i did not study it. I sitll found it quite strightforward...nothing too tricky. The PAT was pretty rushed for time and the last cube counting one was confusing!! i thought a rule was that cubes must be supported by other base cubes?? but this did not seem to be the case (unless i misinterpretted). The angle ranking wasnt as bad as i thought it would be, same goes for the paper folding.

I agree with pbure in that the reading was a lot easier than expected. There were only a few interpretation questions but the rest asked WORD FOR WORD from the text. There was ample time, which was very surprising. Hopefully the curve isnt too harsh...37/40 seems crazy for a 20!
 
sdubz said:
i took the test today as well. I was surprised that one weird keyhole question was taken straight from the prep manual.
the carving was quite difficult, and i ran out of time🙁 I couldnt totally straighten out the last flute.

the schools i am applying for do not look at science so i did not study it. I sitll found it quite strightforward...nothing too tricky. The PAT was pretty rushed for time and the last cube counting one was confusing!! i thought a rule was that cubes must be supported by other base cubes?? but this did not seem to be the case (unless i misinterpretted). The angle ranking wasnt as bad as i thought it would be, same goes for the paper folding.

I agree with pbure in that the reading was a lot easier than expected. There were only a few interpretation questions but the rest asked WORD FOR WORD from the text. There was ample time, which was very surprising. Hopefully the curve isnt too harsh...37/40 seems crazy for a 20!

which schools are you applying to? i hear mcgill u is one of the only schools to really take the soap carving part into consideration. does anyone know of any other canadian schools that put a lot of emphasis on the carving part? personally i think its full of you know what. waste of time. manual dexterity skills grow over years of schooling, not 4-6 weeks of practising before some test.
 
im applying to uofa
most schools dont care too much about the carving but it is still a factor. UofA looks at carving perceptual and reading. Interestingly, uofa favors reading, as 50% of your score is based on it (with 25% percept and 25% carving).

does anyone know how withdrawls from courses are looked upon by canadian schools?