• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

munch22

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
6 members so far....who else out there is going to NOVA???? If you sign up leave a message here so that we can keep this page towards the front!!!

About the Ads

nickole

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Did you guys send your pre-registration fee's yet?

butterfly1985

10+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Mine is due on hte 22nd, but i m waiting to get accepted to a better school- if I don't , i ll stay at Nova

munch22

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
a "better" school.....I am very excited that I was accepted and cannot wait to get to Florida!!!

nickole

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Nova is not good for specialize:rolleyes: what?? I though as long as you have the GPA & board score you are set....& i heard Nova is pretty kick back, so GPA is not a problem:p

munch22

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
It is just like any other level of school. Of course if you go to a big name school and you do extremly well that helps. But if you go to a smaller school and get the grades/scores/experience neccessary you will be fine. I am from a small undergrad that no one has ever heard of. Because of that other people kept saying it would be hard for me to get into dental school. And yes I agree that it may have made my path somewhat harder, but here I am getting ready to start in the fall. It is not where you go, but how hard you are willing to work that will determine you success.

About the Ads

butterfly1985

10+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Just a quick question: how long does it take for Nova to cash the 1000 $ check? and where should I send mine? the usual admission office?
I guess we all be together next year :p

nickole

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I sended my deposit on mid december to office of admission and called them a week later to confirm they recieved it..Ms. Zarret told me it may take some time before they cash the checks. i guess they want wait till they recieve a=deposit from every body and then cash it once

acara003

10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2006
Miami
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Hello everyone. I sent my check on the 7th, but it hasn't been cashed yet. I live in Miami and I'm still debating whether to move closer to school or to commute everyday. :/

nickole

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Did you guys send your pre-registration fee yet? it's due by april 15

geometric-pain

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Did you guys send your pre-registration fee yet? it's due by april 15

what is this? I sent my deposit it already but haven't heard about a pre-registration fee. On another note - does anybody know if NOVA has a gym or if there is a gold's or 24 close by?

munch22

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Nova has a very nice work-out facility. It is free to students as part of their tution. I am assuming that includes the professional and graudate students as well.

If you read your letter that talked about the $1000 deposit, you will see a second payment of $1000 is due in April. That is what she is talking about.

nickole

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Nice facility to work out.....:cool: but how can we work out with 24 science credit in fall:confused: i guess we pay for the gym but wont have time to go though

About the Ads

ChronarchB

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 25, 2005
Status (Visible)
man you guys are newbies, just because it says 24 credit hours first semester it isn't the same as undergrad. its not like taking 8 classes all at once. you take a few a time and they only last a few months, so yes its 24 credit hours but you only take a few classes at a time. Trust me you will have plenty of time partying or in your guy's worry working out haha. newbs and welcome to south florida.

Simiam

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2007
Philly
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I thought NOVA was ok with sending off it's grads into residency programs? How do they compare to say UF?

munch22

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Again, it doesn't matter where you go if you don't work hard and turn out the grades and boards scores. And on the flip side, nomatter where you go if you do turn them out you can achieve your goals. Sometimes you just have to work harder than others to get to where you want to be. It comes down to you and how much you want something and if you are willing to do what it takes to do it.

Simiam

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2007
Philly
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Are most people planning on taking out loans to get through NOVA?? I know it is something like 44k for tuition and fees the first year and about 700 a month in rent.. So about 250k in loans for 4 years right?? Does NOVA give scholarships?

munch22

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
700 a month for rent? My boyfriend and I went down this past week and looked at apartments. Most all were a the very least $900, that does not include utilities. We are going to rent a room in a private home...that is what we found to be the most cost effective. That will run us $850 with everything included.

They do offer some scholarships; from what I read they all require you to come from an underprivlaged background or be a minority. Of couse I may have missed some. Let me know if you find any others.

g1xxer750

10+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Hey munch22,
I was wondering how you found a room for rent down there. Did you use a realty agent? Did you just look at ads in the newspaper? I am looking for a similar living situation to you, but how do you know what the people you are living with are like. Having difficult roomates would make school all the more stressful. Thanks for your help in advance and I am also in the facebook group, so if you rather post your response there I'll see it.

munch22

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I looked on the nova housing website. You can find it from the dental.nova site. I went to housing, off campus, apartment search......and then you can look at all of the houses/apartments people have to rent. Then I contacted all of the ones I was interested in. I let them know that both my boyfriend and I would be coming to make sure they didn't have a problem with that and then I went to visit last week and talk to those I had narrowed it down to. That is how I found the house. There are several people posting on there and every time I went on, there were new posts.

While we were there we also went around and looked at about 15 different apartment complexes. Ultimatly we decided those were out of our price range. But there is one, in hollywood....it is kind of like state housing. There was an income max on it. They are brand new....not even open yet, but will be open when school starts. It was $650 for a 1 bedroom and $800 for a 2 bedroom (no one bedrooms left). The complex was gated and looked as nice as others we had seen (from the outside, we did not tour the inside b/c it was not open to public yet_). But once outside the gates, the neighborhood was not the greatest. We looked it up on the police website. (Lyberia was the neighborhood within hollywood if you are interested). It was called Crystal Lake apartments and it was about 10 mi from campus. If you are looking for the cheapest apartment, this is def. it. If you are interested in it, you have to act fast though b/c you can imagine with such a price difference, they are filling up fast.

g1xxer750

10+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Great post munch22, it was very helpful. I'm going down to NOVA this week so maybe I can determine where I will live this early the way you did.

Anyway, thanks for the help again.

munch22

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
does anyone know what type of computer they give us? Just curious.

About the Ads

acara003

10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2006
Miami
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I have a question about fafsa. I haven't submitted the application yet b/c I was waiting for my parents to file their taxes. I know that they said you don't need your parents information, but I wasn't sure if you need it for scholarship purposes. Of course, my parents STILL have not filed their taxes, so I've been pretty much stuck. Do I submit it with only my information, or wait for them? The thing is I am not filing my taxes this year, so I'm not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

PhysEd

10+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2007
Toronto
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I have a question about fafsa. I haven't submitted the application yet b/c I was waiting for my parents to file their taxes. I know that they said you don't need your parents information, but I wasn't sure if you need it for scholarship purposes. Of course, my parents STILL have not filed their taxes, so I've been pretty much stuck. Do I submit it with only my information, or wait for them? The thing is I am not filing my taxes this year, so I'm not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

I'm in the same boat and would also like to know. I dont understand the logic of having your parents info in order to be eligible for scholarships. Can someone clarify? Thanks

munch22

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
It is really annoying, but I guess I kind of understand. Without our parents info, prob. 99% of us would qualify for these scholarships. A lot of us are just out of college with alot of debt and not alot of working. That doesn't prove that we come from the "disadvantaged: background the scholarships are targeting. what doesn't make sense to me is the unconventianal 35 year old student with a husband/wife and family that has to ask mom and dad for their tax report!!! There should be some kind of line. From what I read, unless your parents are deceased everyone is required to provide it to be eligable for the scholarships. If you don't want to apply for the scholarships and you just want the loans, you don't have to provide their returns.

acara003

10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2006
Miami
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
To the other person wondering, I called today and spoke to a financial aid person and they told me to just provide an estimate based on last years income and that I could leave everything else blank. They told me that if they needed any other information they would let me know when the time came. I submitted mine earlier today. Good luck :)

DDYESS

10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
To the other person wondering, I called today and spoke to a financial aid person and they told me to just provide an estimate based on last years income and that I could leave everything else blank. They told me that if they needed any other information they would let me know when the time came. I submitted mine earlier today. Good luck :)

Just out of curiosity, where did you guys find the papers to fill out for scholarships and stuff?? I already filled out the FAFSA, is there some different stuff you have to fill out for scholarships too?

acara003

10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2006
Miami
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Not that I know of. I just filled out the fafsa too. I think that once Nova receives your information they see if you are eligible for any scholarships and then they contact you and let you know if they need any other information. That's what I think, I'm not 100% sure on that. Hope it helps.

choucjen

choucjen
10+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2006
Los Angeles
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Around August 20th. I called the admission office about 2 months ago, and the lady gave me the estimated date. The academic calendar for Fall 2007 was not out at the time.

geometric-pain

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Which dental website? Nova's? Try www.dental.nova.edu

I didn't put www. in front and I guess that is what did it. By the way I emailed Su-Ann and she said that orientation starts on July 31st and last a week. Classes start after that on the 6th. She just sent out that information yesterday.

munch22

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
geo you beat me to it. I was about to post the information about orientation. As soon as I get the packet and info, I will post all of the dates on our facebook group. I am even more excited (and a bit nervous) now that I know the dates!!! It is all becoming very real!!!!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.