NOVA Acceptance....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1hotdoctor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received my acceptance package from NOVA!!! I am so excited!!

I had my interview on Feb 6th.

-GPA: 3.8
-PCAT: 78
-No direct pharmacy experience
-Have an MD degree - Changing careers!
-Good recomm letters
-B.S. in Biology (graduated 1996)

Thank you for all the help you gave me on this site. I am ever grateful to SDN.

Good luck to all of you!!

Members don't see this ad.

I just received my acceptance package from NOVA!!! I am so excited!!

I had my interview on Feb 6th.

-GPA: 3.8
-PCAT: 78
-No direct pharmacy experience
-Have an MD degree - Changing careers!
-Good recomm letters
-B.S. in Biology (graduated 1996)

Thank you for all the help you gave me on this site. I am ever grateful to SDN.

Good luck to all of you!!

Hey, congratulations! I knew you were going to receive an acceptance package because of the pink slip from Nova requesting that you go to the post office. :thumbup: You're very lucky considering it hasn't been a month exactly since we went to the interviews. I figure if you received your letter already, mine and the other 3 people who interviewed should be receiving one soon...

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! I had my interview at the very end of January and still no word! I hope to hear from them soon. I am out of state and it seems that everyone announcing their acceptance lately has been an in state resident. I am growing very nervous.

congrats! see u in the fall.

Thanks everyone for your nice words and well wishes. I hope that all of you get accepted to the places you want to go and soon.

I am actually a Colorado resident right now and so will be paying 4 years of non-resident tuition at NOVA. I am actually not sure if the FL residents get their acceptances earlier than non-FL residents, but that is a possibility.

RxChick, congrats on your acceptance. I look forward to meeting you. Isn't it amazing to think that whoever gets accpeted at NOVA or any other school for 2008 that all of us will know eachother so well after 4 years of being together day in and day out. It's amazing to look back and read this thread we left right now on SDN in 4 years and say wow I had no idear who Rxchick was back then but now she is like my sister or best friend. That just amazes me!

So, to those who haven't heard yet, don't be nervous and don't worry. I am sure that it is just a matter of time before you get your acceptance. If you interviewed there or anywhere, there is then a very high possibility that you are in.

Best of luck to everyone.

Just got my acceptance package today! It was shipped home so my dad has to mail it to me. I'll be starting a facebook group for our class shortly!

Just declined my interview so some lucky person will be getting a call/email soon :) best of luck to all of you

I still haven't heard anything back. I interviewed January 7th at the WPB location of NOVA. Anyone accepted to that location here?

Just got my acceptance package today! It was shipped home so my dad has to mail it to me. I'll be starting a facebook group for our class shortly!

CONGRATS !!!!!!!!!! and way to go about the facebook group, I'll join.

congratulations on the acceptance! If you guys have any local questions send me a PM. I have lived in the davie area for 20 years. I look forward to meeting you all. Someone already started a facebook group.. this is the link i have
http://fsu.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6860738899

Congrats for the acceptance....I am still hoping for an interview since I submitted my document quite late. NSU just got my application in 30 jan and I have just submitted all supplemental document. I hope I can see you guys next Fall. I still prefer Nova than UF since I am international student. I hope Nova will consider my application....Overall GPA 3.87, Science GPA 4.0, PCAT 91%....and I am still trying to finish some last pre-courses. Hopefully, I can see you guys next Fall:D:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats for the acceptance....I am still hoping for an interview since I submitted my document quite late. NSU just got my application in 30 jan and I have just submitted all supplemental document. I hope I can see you guys next Fall. I still prefer Nova than UF since I am international student. I hope Nova will consider my application....Overall GPA 3.87, Science GPA 4.0, PCAT 91%....and I am still trying to finish some last pre-courses. Hopefully, I can see you guys next Fall:D:D

Your stats sound really good to me. I know people who got into nova with much lower stats so don't loose hope. Good luck!

NOVA is that competitive ? I thought with that stats, it's like a guarantee you get in. Can someone shed some light on this ?

NOVA is that competitive ? I thought with that stats, it's like a guarantee you get in. Can someone shed some light on this ?

I am not sure how competitive nova used to be in the past. But for the last two or three years it has gotten extremely competitive. There are like almost 2000 applicants for less than 200 seats. I applied last year as a college sophomore with a 4.0 and a 92 on my PCAT. I got waitlisted. I didn't apply anywhere else since as I said, I was 19 and a sophomore and only completed my prereqs for nova. Plus I was really late in my application as well. I applied this year thinking that it would be easy for me to get in. I had a tough time. I got in nonetheless but it was tough. I had a much easier time getting into UF than Nova. I don't know if it was just me or if everyone found it that competitive. But its defenitely tough these days.

I am not sure how competitive nova used to be in the past. But for the last two or three years it has gotten extremely competitive. There are like almost 2000 applicants for less than 200 seats. I applied last year as a college sophomore with a 4.0 and a 92 on my PCAT. I got waitlisted. I didn't apply anywhere else since as I said, I was 19 and a sophomore and only completed my prereqs for nova. Plus I was really late in my application as well. I applied this year thinking that it would be easy for me to get in. I had a tough time. I got in nonetheless but it was tough. I had a much easier time getting into UF than Nova. I don't know if it was just me or if everyone found it that competitive. But its defenitely tough these days.

Oh wow! So nova was tougher for your to get in that UF? Crazy world!

Then, what is the criteria for selecting the applicants? Does pharmacy experience matter more to NOVA than GPA/PCAT?

It seems like UF puts most emphasis on the PCAT and then the prereq the GPA and then everything else is more secondary.

There has to be rational criteria.

But in the past, NOVA DID used to be people's back-up school when their numbers were not high enough for UF in the state of Florida. So for those on the waiting list, you still have hope! UF is much cheaper school for an in-state Florida resident. So I think that out of the in-state residents in Florida getting into both, about 80-90% will choose UF, simply because of the cost, and 10-20% will indeed go to NOVA.

So let us say 50 in-state applicants are accepted, and 30 are accepted to both UF and NOVA. then maybe 24-27 people will not go, opening up those spots on the waiting list.

So I think that waitlisted applicants can still get in.

Alot of u here are smart but did any1 bother to look at onehotdoctor's previous post and how BS it is.

AND I QUOTE
"Anyway, I think I will be much happier as a Dentist than would have ever been as a medical doctor.

Hope this answers your question.

1hotdoctor"

well well well all i can say is no one should buy into ur words honestly. I think the whole profile is BS bc why the hell would a MD leave to take 4 more years to do a stressful job at retail if u chose to and make less money. i mean pharmacy is awesome but why do 8 years then do pharmD i know its been done but the whole profile is beyond shady. AS I SAID LOOK AT 1HOTDOCTOR'S PREVIOUS POSTS. :laugh:

Then, what is the criteria for selecting the applicants? Does pharmacy experience matter more to NOVA than GPA/PCAT?

It seems like UF puts most emphasis on the PCAT and then the prereq the GPA and then everything else is more secondary.

I agree. I am not sure about NOVA's criteria exactly. But grades and PCAT are not enough as I found out. I had some extracurriculars relating to pharmacy but not work experience so that was a big problem in my file I think regardless of my grades. Also I had no bachelors degree since I am a junior. Nova does like people with bachelors and I think pretty soon its going to be one of their requirements. I chose NOVA over UF because NOVA is a good school and cost wise they would both add up to about the same for me since I live five minutes away from NOVA's davie campus. So UF's $14,000 tuition plus living expenses would add up to about how much it would cost me to attend Nova. Also I got into UF's satellite campus at St. Petersburg. I am not sure I want to take a chance with a satellite school.

I agree. I am not sure about NOVA's criteria exactly. But grades and PCAT are not enough as I found out. I had some extracurriculars relating to pharmacy but not work experience so that was a big problem in my file I think regardless of my grades. Also I had no bachelors degree since I am a junior. Nova does like people with bachelors and I think pretty soon its going to be one of their requirements. I chose NOVA over UF because NOVA is a good school and cost wise they would both add up to about the same for me since I live five minutes away from NOVA's davie campus. So UF's $14,000 tuition plus living expenses would add up to about how much it would cost me to attend Nova. Also I got into UF's satellite campus at St. Petersburg. I am not sure I want to take a chance with a satellite school.

You know what....Your stat is same as mine...I am third year at my college. Also, it seems for me to get into UF easier than Nova since I know UF forcus on PCAT and GPA more...But still, I hope we are doing ok...The only thing we are missing for Nova is the BA...I still have one last class for pre-courses to take before I go there...Hope that everything will be ok...hic hic.....:cool::cool:

Alot of u here are smart but did any1 bother to look at onehotdoctor's previous post and how BS it is.

AND I QUOTE
"Anyway, I think I will be much happier as a Dentist than would have ever been as a medical doctor.

1hotdoctor"

well well well all i can say is no one should buy into ur words honestly. I think the whole profile is BS bc why the hell would a MD leave to take 4 more years to do a stressful job at retail if u chose to and make less money. i mean pharmacy is awesome but why do 8 years then do pharmD i know its been done but the whole profile is beyond shady. AS I SAID LOOK AT 1HOTDOCTOR'S PREVIOUS POSTS. :laugh:

There are a lot of fakers on here that just create profiles and go from forum to forum and try to mess with a lot of people's heads. I wish they would just go away, i am serious about becoming a pharmacist and would like to talk to others with the same goals. It just gets irritating sometimes. yaknow? :mad:

So for the ppl who were accepted to Nova ... any ideas about the intern license for florida? I know we can get the pdf from the state board, fill it out and we could send it to the dean so that we can have our license to work and make some money in the summer, but I wonder if they do that or if we have to wait to start classes. Any ideas? Thank you

Actually been wondering the same thing. Nova hasn't send us anything so far. I know others schools like UF for instance send u the paperwork for the intern license with the acceptance letter. I have no idea how to go about it otherwise and any input helps. Besides can u work as an intern before you start classes? I have been hearing yes you can as long as you have the acceptance letter but when i contacted walgreens they said i can work as an intern if i am currently enrolled in the program. I guess that means once we start classes?

AND I QUOTE

1hotdoctor"

The posting history is somewhat confusing, but he stopped posting in Pre-Dental in September and then went exclusively prepharm except for the post in DAT discussions about his acceptance to NOVA (which has thoroughly confused them as well.) The inconsistency in deciding careers does make one's spidey-sense tingle, but it doesn't have to be altogether false. At least he's not going back and forth every other week.

Actually been wondering the same thing. Nova hasn't send us anything so far. I know others schools like UF for instance send u the paperwork for the intern license with the acceptance letter. I have no idea how to go about it otherwise and any input helps. Besides can u work as an intern before you start classes? I have been hearing yes you can as long as you have the acceptance letter but when i contacted walgreens they said i can work as an intern if i am currently enrolled in the program. I guess that means once we start classes?

Oh wow ... that sucks ... we had some reps from walgreens speak at our school, and they said that they would hire you as an intern if you had your intern license, which again, we can get as long as the dean signs the paperwork, but I wonder if he'd do that before classes starts or not. But I also talked to someone who was working at walgreens when she got accepted, and they promoted her to intern with a retroactive raise and everything. This is the link for the intern license pdf for Florida:

http://www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/pharmacy/ap_intern.pdf

if anyone hears anything please let us know.

Everyone who was accepted, did you send in two $250 checks to Nova or one $500? I need to send in my payment tomorrow.

I made 2 $250 and took them personally cause I live close, but the they told me a $500 check would have been fine too.

Do anyone know how many people NSU accepted already? I heard that NSU often save a lot of spots in the ends....Is it true ???

Thanks! I am sending my check in tomorrow.

Hey, I haven't received my acceptance package yet, but I found out I was accepted. By when do you have to pay the $500 fee? I need to know because I don't have that kind of money right now, and need to start making student loans as soon as possible. By the way, how do you go about doing that? If I borrow, say $120,000, how does the process work? Do I get sent a check for that amount of what? I literally have no clue how this works and this is important considering the initial $500 payment probably has to be paid soon.

Total deposit was $1000 divided in two $500 deposits. I received my package last tuesday, and the first $500 are due 2 week of march, and the second $500 the second week of april. If I were you I wouldn't get into loans right now, the school will hopefully explain you everything, including how much you can get from federal loans and how much you would need from private sources. I've gotten private loans for 3 semesters now and it's NOT a good idea to get the whole sum the first time, because interest accumulates. Instead, apply every year or every semester for the amount you need if the loan company doesn't have an origination fee. But in conclusion, if you can get those $1000 somehow for now, I wouldn't get loans for now

Hey lokote, I searched in this website and I found out that we can apply for the intern this summer. We dont need to wait until next year.!!
But...what do we have to do once we get the license?? apply in a pharmacy as an intern?? Or....:rolleyes:

Hey lokote, I searched in this website and I found out that we can apply for the intern this summer. We dont need to wait until next year.!!
But...what do we have to do once we get the license?? apply in a pharmacy as an intern?? Or....:rolleyes:

That sounds more likely. Can you post the link please? Once you get your intern license you can get a job easier at a retail store and they'll pay u slightly more. At this point those hours won't count for the required hours for the pharmacy board, but you'll make some money and you'll certainly benefit from the experience.

That sounds more likely. Can you post the link please? Once you get your intern license you can get a job easier at a retail store and they'll pay u slightly more. At this point those hours won't count for the required hours for the pharmacy board, but you'll make some money and you'll certainly benefit from the experience.

Thank you very much!! I hope this help :)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=398251
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=6337546

I was recently interviewed at the West Palm Beach Program. Does anyone know how Nova decides which applicants are interviewed at which sites?

I was recently interviewed at the West Palm Beach Program. Does anyone know how Nova decides which applicants are interviewed at which sites?
Someone could definitely correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that they looked at your desired campuses (from the supplemental app) and if there are spots at your top choice, you interview there. If not, they will interview you at the other campus. I only marked Davie/Ft. Laud on the supp, but I also interviewed back in October, so I felt safe doing so. If you wanted to go to Ft Laud and you interviewed at WPB, they are "probably" full at Davie, but spots might open as some students withdraw their acceptance at Nova to attend another school.

Yes, that is the way they do it.

Hey guys, Congratulations to all who got in to Nova next year. And good luck to those who are still waiting on interview dates/acceptance letters. I got accepted back in November, so I'm super excited to meet each and every one of you guys in the class of 2012!

I'm facing a small dilemma with school myself. I'm currently an undergrad at the Univ of Florida, but I'm not going to be done with my bachelor's degree until August (summer commencement). I'll be finishing my remaining electives (speech and microeconomics) this semester, which is all I need for Nova. It may be an obvious decision to just go ahead and finish these classes and forget about the class in the summer, but I really want my B.S. in Microbiology.. I've been torn about it for the past several weeks because registration is right around the corner and I don't know what's the best thing to do. My parents say I can come back home to miami and work somewhere during the summer and make some money, but I'm like I'm going to be over $100,000 in loans anyway, so how is pocket money going to help.. Please guys help me make a smart choice. Should I stay back and get my degree or forget about it and just forward my speech and eco grades?

Hey guys, Congratulations to all who got in to Nova next year. And good luck to those who are still waiting on interview dates/acceptance letters. I got accepted back in November, so I'm super excited to meet each and every one of you guys in the class of 2012!

I'm facing a small dilemma with school myself. I'm currently an undergrad at the Univ of Florida, but I'm not going to be done with my bachelor's degree until August (summer commencement). I'll be finishing my remaining electives (speech and microeconomics) this semester, which is all I need for Nova. It may be an obvious decision to just go ahead and finish these classes and forget about the class in the summer, but I really want my B.S. in Microbiology.. I've been torn about it for the past several weeks because registration is right around the corner and I don't know what's the best thing to do. My parents say I can come back home to miami and work somewhere during the summer and make some money, but I'm like I'm going to be over $100,000 in loans anyway, so how is pocket money going to help.. Please guys help me make a smart choice. Should I stay back and get my degree or forget about it and just forward my speech and eco grades?

i say finish the degree..it wouldve taken me another yr to finish mine so i dropped all my classes this semester and im working full time at a pharmacy..ive been accepted to nova and have already done all the pre-reqs. but if you're so close just do it..then u can later say "i have a bs in micro bio AND a pharmD" your hard work will all show in the end with 2 degrees

Finish the degree. You worked ur butt of this far, might as well have something to show for it (other than the pharm school acceptance). I would have finished the degree if i was that close. Unfortunately for me, it would take another year. And I don't really feel like declining the offer of acceptance from nova to finish my bachelors. Good luck!

or maybe you can just transfer all your credits to Nova and complete your remaining classes there throughout the semesters ... like 1 class per semester or something like that.

What a coincidence! I have to take a microecon and speech class this summer for Nova. These classes won't finish until the very end of the July so I am cutting it very close. You should definitely finish your degree if you can this summer. What classes do you have left to take? I graduated with a B.S. in medical technology last spring, which gives me the option to work in a hospital lab making a decent salary during our breaks (if I need the money). My favorite subjet in med tech was microbiology too! You should go for it as long as you can still make it to orientation and start the program this fall.

Not to hijack this thread... but could someone shed some light on this for me? Our orientation is August 3-10 (Sunday to Sunday).

Two Questions:

1. Will we be on campus everyday or involved in some activity or obligation Sunday to Sunday?
2.How long are we on campus each day for the orientation week?

I was planning on having some friends down when they help me move into my place at the end of July, and I was hoping they would stay and hang out the week of orientation. We are driving down from PA so it would be a wasted trip for them if they could only stay a couple days.

Could any current Nova student answer these questions for me?

Thanks! I am glad that I will not be gone the whole day so I can spend some time with my friends before they return to PA.

Hello guys. Have any of you received an answer about the Florida residency tuition application?