Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Nova Alternate List?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by ddesatnik, Dec 5, 2005.

1. ddesatnik

ddesatnik New Member

Was anybody else placed on the alternate list for Nova? Does anybody know how many applicants they put on the alternate list?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kshah13

kshah13 Member
    5+ Year Member

How did you know that you got placed on an alternate list? Did you get a mail?

4. ddesatnik

ddesatnik New Member

Yeah, got a letter today. It wasn't a registered letter like those who have been accepted receive, just a single letter in a large Nova envelope. All it said was that I have been selected as an alternate, that there are no alternate rankings and that I will be notified of status change when appropriate. I heard that Nova maintains 2 alternate lists, a high list and a low list..... so I guess I just continue to wait and hope that those who have been accepted recognize that spending 4-years in a hurricane zone is not for them :)

5. DIRTIE

DIRTIE Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student

Last year, including myself, I knew half a dozen people that were put on the alt. list. None of them ended up getting in (including myself). Good luck I would move on though

6. drnpp

drnpp Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    i called nova on dec 1st and they told me i was in the high alt list...i dont know when i would find out though

7. DentalNerd

DentalNerd Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    So which is better? Does high or low refer to a # ranking (high=bad, low=good) or high meaning "higher" on the list?

8. savvysearch

savvysearch Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

If Nova already has an alternate list, does this mean they are no longer giving interviews out?

9. 3rdMolarRoller

3rdMolarRoller User Account Deleted
    7+ Year Member

Back when I was applying and for the cycle after mine (Class of 2007), Nova kept atleast 10-15 spots open until early April. By the end of April the class would be filled.

For the class of 2007 (or 2006 I don't remember anymore) they told me they called ~20 people from the alternate list and about 6 accepted.

So long story short, being on the alternate list is a nice way of giving a rejection.

10. ib6ub9

ib6ub9 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

hey guys, i read this thread and thought i would give all of you some feedback. i am currently a d-1 student at nova dental and i was placed on the alternate list at this time last year. i was completly bummed out and heard so many things about how nova dosent take pople off the list etc... but i insisted on bugging them for the next five months until i got accepted in may. because may is when they begin to take people off the list, and i tell u what su-ann (admissions director) told me when she accepeted me, that i would not have been considered at all if i never persisted and showed continued intrest. and by the way i have three of my other firends that got off the waitlist at nova doing what i did. so if any of you have any questions, let me know and i will do all i can to help.

11. ddesatnik

ddesatnik New Member

Hey thanks for the post ib6ub9. I called today and found out the wait list is 40 applicants and that none of us are ranked so far. As far as timeline, mid May seems to be the official word.

12. berryfremont

berryfremont Georgia
    5+ Year Member

How many people interviewed this year. Have most of the 100 spots (minus the 15 left open) been granted? Or did they already give out the waitlist to people before sending out their next round of acceptances?...This would mean that roughly 140 people have received acceptances and waitlists...seeing that there are only around 5 or so people that have said they have been accepted on SDN, it looks like they have not sent out all of the acceptances..?? any thoughts

13. kshah13

kshah13 Member
    5+ Year Member

I called today morning and found out that I'm on the high alternate list as well.....Su-Ann said that the deadline for deposits for accepted applicants is in May so the alternate list won't be used before Mid-may. She also said that they haven't ranked people on the list yet.

14. jhamer5

jhamer5 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Im sorry but I have bad news. I was placed on the alt list at NOVA last yr (2005 class). I didnt get in, and I presume it is a large list. I had the first interview (Sep 23, 2004) too. I didnt have the best grades or dat scores, so maybe that was the deal?? I donno?? good luck though

15. Dutchboy

Dutchboy Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Is there still anybody that interviewed at Nova that hasn't heard anything either way? I live out in the west so maybe the mail is just slow. I thought I saw some acceptences out this way already, but at this point I would have expected to hear at least something! I would call but I've seen posts that they won't tell you your status over the phone. Anybody in the same boat?

16. JMoney

JMoney Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I talked to Su-Ann today around 10:00am and she said that no information will be given out over the phone :confused:

And if the deadline for deposits is May then someone can take my spot if I get one. Who is going to wait until May if you have another spot somewhere else?? Not me.

Case 2010 someone can have my Tufts spot too :thumbdown:

17. jhamer5

jhamer5 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I am not sure how many people are on the list. I received a letter in the mail the friday after thanksgiving. I was waitlisted last yr at NOVA. All I know is that 99% of the list will get in either. They, as well as every school, have received around 40% more applications this year, and they are probably more competitive than last yr. I figured the fact that I was wait listed last year might help me this year...Well it hasn't, So far I have not heard sqat from them. My app is 'Under Review" still. My interview was the 1st one last yr (Sept 23, 2004), so I figured I was a sure-in. Well that didnt happen!!

18. Dutchboy

Dutchboy Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    bump

19. berryfremont

berryfremont Georgia
    5+ Year Member

I haven't heard anything and i live in georgia...I will call..but i'm guessing i'm not in

20. berryfremont

berryfremont Georgia
    5+ Year Member

I talked to su-ann today and she said over the phone that i made the high alternate list...i asked for the stats on that and she said 29 people make high and a total of 46 are on the total alternate list... 29 on high and 17 on the low list...aight people...start withdrawing your acceptances!!

21. ASU-devil

ASU-devil Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    that's gonna blow if we have to wait until May. 29 people on the high alternate list is a very long list. I guess that means we should start hoping another school takes a look at us.

22. Peterpan

Peterpan New Member

How did you get anybody on the phone? I have been trying for 3 weeks. I have left at least 2 messages so far. Nobody has returned my call. Does anyone have a different number I can try? Thanks.

23. kshah13

kshah13 Member
    5+ Year Member

954-262-1108......that's the one I used

24. Dutchboy

Dutchboy Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey I just got an acceptence letter in the mail. It took over a week to get here. For those that havn't heard anything from them yet there is still hope. :D :D :D :D

25. SunnyDay

SunnyDay Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

Congratulations. Is Nova your top choice? Where do you live?

26. Dutchboy

Dutchboy Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm in Salt Lake City. I would love to go Nova, but we will see what happens in the near future (i.e. USC) It's just a huge load off to know I will be at least going to a good dental school. Hell, for that matter a dental school at all!

27. Yah-E

Yah-E Toof Sniper
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Hang in there my friends....if you wish to move up the Alternate List, then feel free to bake me some brownies. I may be able to pump you up a spot or two. :D

All jokes aside, don't get discouraged, anything can happen. Like a previous poster said, the best thing you can do now is to keep showing interests and don't loose touch with Su-Ann. Update your grades with her (if they're A or Bs), update your new DAT scores if you have any, and simply just keep in touch.

By the end of this interviewing cycle, there will be over 200 applicants on the Alternate List, what will distinguish you from the other 199? Stay in touch!

28. DentalNerd

DentalNerd Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I just received an acceptance letter from Nova after interviewing mid Nov. The letter is dated Dec 2 but the envelope is postmarked Dec 6 and received via certified mail on Dec 10.

I thought for sure I would be rejected or waitlisted when I didn't receive anything until today.

There's still hope, as I learned today.

Good luck to everyone. I hope you receive a letter soon.

29. Dutchboy

Dutchboy Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Mine also is dated Dec 2nd, postmarked Dec 6th. I recieved mine yesterday. :love:

30. BabberSher

BabberSher an Army of Darkness fan
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I applied to Nova in Early October. I didn't get a secondary till, Dec. 2nd. If they allready have an Alt. List.... is there any point of me applying?

I'm guessing i don't have a chance because I sent my application kinda late - But I have a feeling i might cause of My MBA {it will be completed late July of 2006} ... how much weight does a masters hold for an applicant? Im sure, it's not as big as High DAT scores and a good GPA, but does having a master make a bit of a difference?