NOVA and PCO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OatsHelp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have interviews scheduled for both NOVA and PCO for this week and the following. I was wondering if anyone can give me advice about the interviews. I am freaking out and will really appreciate anything. Also, is it too late in the cycle to have interviews?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

My PCO interview was very relaxed. They asked the basic questions: why I wanted to do optometry, what I liked when I shadowed, whether I was more interested in private practice or commercial (something like that), what I liked about the school, etc. But mostly I just talked with the interviewer about the kinds of films and books I like and about my hobbies. I thought that it was important to show my actual personality and give her the sense that I can connect with people. I felt really confident after the interview. So...just be yourself. Make eye contact, joke a little bit, and talk about current events if possible (show that you're not just in a study bubble). Be natural.

thank you! =)... Anyone from NOVA? would really appreciate it =)

Members don't see this ad :)
Nova is very relaxed. If you were offered an interview, your chances of acceptance are good. The day is divided into two sections: morning interviewees and afternoon interviewees. I was a morning and there were 4 of us who took turns interviewing. There was an information session and lunch - all very relaxed. The interview was conducted by two optometrists and they ask general questions about your history and what you plan for the future. Good luck!

I have an interview with NOVA this week and am very nervous - its my first interview! I sent in my application late (Feb 15th-ish) and was offered an interview less than a week later - I was pretty surprised at how quick that was!

Any questions I should focus on? And how long did you interview last? Mine is at 830 am

The questions are very conversational at Nova. Tell us a little about yourself, etc. My interview lasted 45 minutes. The other interviewer that day was only in there about 25 minutes. I think mine went long because I like to talk. Here's my best advice...don't do any last minute preparations. I was thinking that I might go over some eye anatomy, or how I would answer specific questions, but I chose not to because I thought it would just increase my anxiety. I went in very relaxed and absolutely nailed the interview the next day, and am now part of the class of '16. Good Luck!

Congrats! I hope to join you!

So the questions you were asked were more about your personality? Not like ethics or things like that? If the questions are just like why optometry, why nova, hobbies, etc. then I think I'll do great - I'm just a little worried that they will throw in something about current events or complex ethics questions!

For my interview, the questions were very straight fwd, nothing ethical or complex. But do prepare for everything on SDN. But the interview was very relaxed and simple... Almost a conversation.

For my interview, the questions were very straight fwd, nothing ethical or complex. But do prepare for everything on SDN. But the interview was very relaxed and simple... Almost a conversation.
What do you mean know SDN?

I have an interview with NOVA this week and am very nervous - its my first interview! I sent in my application late (Feb 15th-ish) and was offered an interview less than a week later - I was pretty surprised at how quick that was!

Any questions I should focus on? And how long did you interview last? Mine is at 830 am

What were your stats?