NOVA and PCOM Students - any regrets?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roger2004

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am tremendously impressed with both these schools and am somewhat stymied as to which might be a better choice for me. EVERYTHING I've heard about each is GREAT - just about zero negatgives!
I wonder if any current students find anything about their school that they wish was different in regard to course work, daily class schedules, test schedules, grading system, access to professors, help with course material if needed, computerization of course material/notes/,available rotations & sites of rotations, housing options, friendliness of students/community,etc - anything? ANYTHING WHICH YOU DIDN'T EXPECT OR WISH WAS DIFFERENT? Anything that has you concerned regarding the program and or the residency match results?
I'm sure you're happy where you are attending, but things seldom go exactly as planned and I guess that's what I'd like to hear about.
Thanks

------------------

rog

Members don't see this ad.

Roger,
People you have talked to may hide things from you. No negative feedback at all? How strange!! Are those schools that good?

------------------
The Kingdom of the Dragon is here

One othing I can tell you about Nova is that the residencies opportunities are very limited. By far the clinical exposure of PCOM is much better and they have more variety when comes to residencies.

------------------
siul

Members don't see this ad :)
siul,

Curious, where did you come up with Nova residency opportunities being limited? I talked to their director of GME, and it sounded like their students went pretty much everywhere.

One thing to keep in mind is that many of Nova's students are Florida residents to begin with, and many (I think ~50%--maybe a little more) choose to stay in state for their residency. This is typical of any public/semi-private school (Nova falls into this category, since it is partially subsidized for FL residents and it's admissions stats are similar to most public MD programs--~80% in state).

Just something else to consider......

Boomer:
I am a Florida resident and I was accepted to the school. I know very well the school bcz many of its professor taught me in graduate school. But you don't have to go very far to find this information just look in the Nova web page and you will see that most of the opportunities are in the family prectice field. Other fields are very limited for example: Internal medicine the have only to sites Miami Heart Institute (non teaching facility- private hospital) and Sun Coast small teaching hospital in the Keys. oyu can even check the AOA page for residencies opportunities under the south east and in the state of florida aren't that many. It just state wise the aren't that many positions available.

------------------
siul