NOVA & Applying early a good idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Funkdoctor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are the questions:

1. Does anybody know much about NOVA's osteopathic program? Does anyone know if NOVA is as anal about being a Florida resident like all of the allopathic Florida schools are? I would like to know as much as possible.

2. I plan on taking the MCAT next april (2006), and I would like to know if there is any advantage by applying to a D.O. program early (over the summer, after MCAT has been taken)?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Members don't see this ad.

Funkdoctor said:
Here are the questions:

1. Does anybody know much about NOVA's osteopathic program? Does anyone know if NOVA is as anal about being a Florida resident like all of the allopathic Florida schools are? I would like to know as much as possible.

2. I plan on taking the MCAT next april (2006), and I would like to know if there is any advantage by applying to a D.O. program early (over the summer, after MCAT has been taken)?

I was accepted there but live in Texas. I declined eventually, due to family related fit with the area. They are NSU (Nova Southeastern Univ) and seem to take some offense to being called NOVA. They take a lot of out of staters, only giving about $8K break for in staters. If you interview there, you statistically have >75% chance of acceptance based on USNews numbers.

I think that if you apply early, you have a better chance and less competition. NSU has rolling admissions. They interviewed me and others before receiving my LORs. No admission decision is made prior to LOR receipt.

If I was single, I would really like the environment. I think NSU is a great school. Be sure and check out the NSU 2008 and 2009 threads in Osteo. Good luck. :luck:

Funkdoctor said:
Here are the questions:

I think applying early defiantely has an advantage. I found out that I was accepted on October 1st. It is great knowing that you can pull other apps bc you already got into your top (or one of your top) choices.

As stated before; they dont' care about your state of residency.

I liked the school; I can only speak from the perspective of an incoming MS-1. I am happy with my choice; and am quite sure it won't be one I regret.

Good Luck; Apply Early; and get your LORS together early (cuz they will interveiw you w/o the LORS but they won't decide on your app til they are there).

Members don't see this ad :)
Live in TN, applied in June, accepted in August. Applying early is GREAT!

kaikai128 said:
Good Luck; Apply Early; and get your LORS together early (cuz they will interveiw you w/o the LORS but they won't decide on your app til they are there).

I'll ditto Kai and add that you should apply early if for no other reason than that their admissions office is generally not easy to get in touch with once the admissions' year ramps up.

Thank you everyone for replying to my post. I'm sorry I haven't posted back until now but I have been extremely busy with school. I am taking 19.5 credit hours and working full time. I just got done with 3 tests, 1 presentation, and 1 quiz all within a 24 hour period. To top it off I had one of the best workouts that I've had all year tonight!

NSUCOM is definitely #1 on my list because my father is getting ready to retire and he wants to move down there (Boca/Fort Lauderdale area) in January of 2007 which will be perfect for me. If I take the MCAT next spring and apply summer 2006 for admissions in fall 2007 I will already be down there for 6 months. Besides from what my dad tells me there is an abundance of good looking women down there that have a propensity toward hooking up with muscular good looking guys like myself :D (not to toot my own horn). Besides the weather will be a nice break coming from NY, I would rather go through 5 hurricanes than 7 months of dark, cold, snowy days!

Does anyone know how long it takes to establish Florida residency for purposes of tuition?

Funkdoctor said:
from what my dad tells me there is an abundance of good looking women down there that have a propensity toward hooking up with muscular good looking guys like myself :D

:rolleyes:

Howdy junior. There is also an abundance of STDs and douchebags with over-the-top egos (not to let the wind out of your sails).

Apply early and do lots of research on the school from every source possible, ESPECIALLY these forums. NSU is currently evaluating major modifications to the curriculum, but no details are official. If you arrive in Fall '07, you'll be the first or second class to benefit(suffer?) from these changes.

Keep an eye on this place, but I'd also recommend that you at least consider LECOM Bradenton on the West Coast. Getting the best educational fit is just slightly more important than location (both issues are important).

Make sure to pace yourself. Heavy class and work loads are good preparation, but you've got a while to go. Enjoy life a little too.

I think it takes something like 2 years to establish residency. Any chance of convincing your dad to buy a beach house here now? Could save you $, and earn him quite a bit in the process.

NS

Not Shorty, all options are on the table when it comes to which school I am going to attend. However NSUCOM is my number 1 choice if I can get it, so of course I am going to apply to Bradenton.

As far as my father goes he doesn't have the funds to buy waterfront real estate, and from what I understand there isn't all that many beach houses. Just condo's and hotels on the beach. From what I here there are many houses on the intercoastal though, but I have never been down there to visit so I don't know for sure. I just go by what my dad tells me and he goes down there every chance he gets and seems to meet an abundance of hot woman (yeah he gets around at 50 years young, he don't look 50 though). He hasn't caught any STD's yet but I don't get around like that though so I'm not too worried.

By the way thanks for the advice :thumbup:

I shouldn't have exclusively said "beach front." Some of the hottest property in Palm Beach County is 20 min inland. In the right area, some nice property could be picked up for a fair price. Those of us who live here for a little while are just as happy with an in-ground pool. The beach is nice, but it gets old. Plus inland is a smart choice for a homeowner because hurricanes are less of a threat.

NS