1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Nova clinical calendar

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by Clovers, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Clovers

Clovers Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    For current Nova students or graduates, can you guys please tell me how does clinical at Nova work? I hear that starting first year you can start observing at clinics but you can't perform anything just yet. So when can you start doing exams? Is it at the start of your 3rd year? For some schools I know that they let their students do rotations in another state or even country, is that the same for Nova? What is Nova known for?

2. carizma12

2+ Year Member

i am interested in knowing as well.

3. OP
    OP
    Clovers

Clovers Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
  4. Agape

Optometry Student
    Nova allows their students to observe in different clinics at the school in first and second year. Working in the clinics starts in the third year. Rotation sites are based on GPA for your own pick. They allow out of states rotation....I know at least China is one of the choice.

5. alohaknight1

alohaknight1 UCFKnightro
    5+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    just wanted to clarify that at Nova, although you don't do exams on patients in our clinic untill after spring of 2nd year, we start "doing exams" on each other in the first semester. We put more and more parts into the puzzle and are pretty much at a full exam by the end of first year. We're waiting on our BIOs to come in to start the posterior exam in 2nd year. Maybe that was obvious to you, but I just wanted to make sure you knew that we start early so when we do start seeing the clinic patients, we're more than ready. My Optometry blog has a lot more details about some of this kind of info too (if you're interested). Best of luck on your choice, Amanda :)