Nova Dental Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashelita

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Pre-dents,

This is my first time posting here. I met with an advisor for the Nova dental program and thought I would share some information.

For those of you that are concerned about community college credits, Nova accepts prerequisite courses from community colleges with the exception of biochemistry and organic chemistry. I was actually encouraged to take the remaining prerequisites at a community college to save money.

Although the website says microbiology requires 3 semester hours, you need to take 4 (for the lab portion). Nova offers a micro class online, but they said they would take it.

The average overall GPA is about 3.5 to 3.6 and is considered competitive however, I spoke to a current student who said that he was admitted with an overall 3.3 GPA with stellar DAT scores (21+).

For the DAT they look for an averge academic and science score of 21. No scores under 18.

All coursework must be completed prior to application except for physics. The advisor said taking physics 2 during the application process is acceptable because physics is not a part of the DAT and admissions can see that you are enrolled and taking that class.

Nova is very out of state friendly. I'm currently attending Nova for my bachelors as an out of state student, so if anyone has questions about the campus and whatnot, feel free to ask!

I'm going to meet with the advisor again in a couple of weeks, so if there are additional questions you might have, let me know and I will ask!

I hope this somewhat helps. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This information helped me a lot! Also, if it is okay, could you ask about how many quarter hours of microbiology that I need to take? I'm taking a general microbiology class but it's just a 5 credit course including lab. Also, I'm planning on taking biochem and organic chemistry lab on summer, then are they not going to review my application or just reject me?

Reactions: 1 user
Hello Pre-dents,
For those of you that are concerned about community college credits, Nova accepts prerequisite courses from community colleges with the exception of biochemistry and organic chemistry. I was actually encouraged to take the remaining prerequisites at a community college to save money.

Thank you for sharing this.

Members don't see this ad :)
This information helped me a lot! Also, if it is okay, could you ask about how many quarter hours of microbiology that I need to take? I'm taking a general microbiology class but it's just a 5 credit course including lab. Also, I'm planning on taking biochem and organic chemistry lab on summer, then are they not going to review my application or just reject me?

Hi Mariojoa,

I'm glad it helped! The microbiology class you're in now is perfect. As long as it's over 3 credit hours and includes the lab then you're set!

I'm not entirely sure of the second half of your question. I can ask for you though. I know it can vary with other schools too. I will ask for you.

I'm planning on applying this upcoming cycle, but I do not have English completed. I was planning on doing it fourth year. would that be a problem?

Organic chemistry, really? It's a 200 level course... Is this a hard rule or something they'll let slide given the right circumstances?
All coursework must be completed prior to application except for physics. The advisor said taking physics 2 during the application process is acceptable because physics is not a part of the DAT and admissions can see that you are enrolled and taking that class.
Even Biochemistry? It's not tested on the DAT either (not specifically anyway).

Reactions: 1 user
No way this is serious, so if I took orgo 2 at CC they will just deny my application??