1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Nova (freaking out)

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by hopefullyrx, May 29, 2008.

1. hopefullyrx

2+ Year Member

Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone that has been accepted to Nova was in my same positon. I was accepted in November, I applied to for Fasfa in February. As of yet they still have me out of state for tuition purposes, and it does not show as though my financial aid has been processed. Every time I call, they tell me they are updating this little by little and to keep checking. But it's been a while and I want to make sure I am going to get enough loans to pay for my schooling. Is anyone still waiting for financial aid to process their application or listed as out of state when they are in-state students? Your responses would be greatly appreciated as getting in contact with NSU staff is impossible.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pharmstudent12

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hey! yes! Since the other programs start during the summer/before ours they do ours last... I wouldn't worry about it ;)

4. DoctorRx1986

10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student

Don't worry. You're not alone. I'm in the same position, submitted my FAFSA in early March and have yet to hear a word about my financial aid award. It's worrisome for me because like you say, I don't know if i'm going to receive enough loan funds to cover all of my expenses. As a result, I've done some reading about alternative loans (private loans) just in case I don't receive enough from the stafford loans to cover my academic and living expenses. I don't want to be surprised two or three weeks before the beginning of the semester to realize the loan money is not enough and that I need to take out additional loans as soon as possible. Feeling rushed is not a pleasant feeling. I am also listed as out-of-state.

5. monsterbrain

monsterbrain Drinking for sanity.
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Wow, I'm really fortunate. I just filled out my fafsa last week and received my award letter from the college this week. I thought it was this fast for everyone - sorry :(

6. aniline

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I just checked my financial aid status and it says out of state and no financial aid. I don't understand I have been living in Miami for 7 years. I called them today and nobody knows anything, they say they will call me back:confused:

7. DoctorRx1986

10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I just called today and explained I submitted my FAFSA and other pertinent forms back in March. The woman I spoke to told me my award file was in the process of being completed on May 2nd and would take four to six weeks from that date to be fully completed. She told me my award for the entire year was about $40,000.

8. hopefullyrx

2+ Year Member

Thank you to everyone that replied. I am glad that we are all at least in the same situation. I was worried b/c like one of you mentioned, I don't even know if I'll get enough loan money from financial aid to cover school and my cost of living. I was told the same thing as Doctorrx1986, that my financial aid was processed May 2nd and it would take 4-6 weeks. But it's already been 4 weeks since May 2nd. The out of state thing is driving me crazy since I was born in Florida and have lived here my whole life but w/e. I hope it all works out for all of us, thanks again for replying I was going crazy thinking it was just me.

9. pezdispenser

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    The cost of attendance is set around $45,000. Graduate health care students can get Stafford loans up to around $40,500.

It does take them a while to get you financial aid package sorted out. I didn't get my disbursement until mid August. I hope you have some money to hold you over, for stuff like renting an apartment, etc.

10. DoctorRx1986

10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student

That wait is excessive and may put certain students at a disadvantage. I spoke to someone and was told I would need to wait about 4 to 6 weeks from early May to receive my award. I don't really need to worry about renting an apartment, as I plan to live on campus.