Nova interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Subiedubie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,
I just recieved an invitation from Nova Southeastern for an interview. I'm so excited but this is my first interview so I'm a bit worried and have no idea what to expect. Can you guys help me out on what I can expect for this interview? I checked the interview thread but couldn't find anything specific to Nova.

For those of you guys that have either visited or attend Nova, what are your impressions of the program? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I actually had the first interview for the year so mine might be a little different compared to other people's experiences. I was the only one at my interview so things went quickly. The actual interview was more of a conversation. I had two interviewers and they started out with "tell me about yourself" and that's when i had mostly said why i wanted to do optometry but I added some extra info that I had not put in my essay. I talked about an interest in pediatric optometry and one of the interviewers was head of the pediatrics program so she kept telling me what they have to offer me. They asked me to name a negative quality about myself. They also asked me if they had talked to my friends what would my friends say about me. I think it was the least stressful interview out of all the other interviews I've had. Just be prepared to talk about good and bad characteristics about yourself and how you can fit those characteristics in optometry. The interviewers were very friendly and you'll meet Fran. Fran is just so nice and makes u feel less nervous. GOODLUCK!

thanks optisforme:) I spoke with Fran on the phone and she is super friendly. When did you interview and what were your impressions of the program itself in terms of facilities, staff, curricullum? As a program, what is Nova known for?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed Sept 20th...around that time. The faculty is very nice. Their program is not bad...I can't give you a strong answer because it was my first interview so I wasn't experienced in asking them questions. They do have a good pediatrics program if you're interested in that. They mix up dental, DO, and opt students in some classes such as anatomy and physio. That might make the classes more competitive, but one of the students there said he didnt mind it that way. I heard their board scores were low one year but last year they improved it. Sorry I'm not much help...but goodluck!

Hi there,

I interviewed at NOVA last year, in february. I remember my interview being prety generic. They asked questions like what are your best and worst qualities, and some bogus situational questions about "what would you do if you saw someone cheating on a test"....So, just be on your toes, prepare answers for who YOU are etc.

But, I will be honest, NOVA was the school that I liked the least out of the 6 schools I have visited. I felt that there was a lack of community at the school, other schools seemed to have much more of a positive feeling. I was honestly at the interview for 30 minutes and I knew it wasnt my first choice. I was offered a position there, but i turned it down and i attend SCCO now. Also, Florida is very humid and for me I saw it as a place i would vacation, but I couldnt live. I know that is weird since i know live in SoCal, but honestly you could never compare the two.

No Offense to anyone attending NOVA, that is just my 2 cents.

I interviewed yesterday and I think it went pretty well. The interview itself was very laid back and it seemed more like a casual conversation rather than an interview. I have nothing but good things to say about the school and the staff there. Fran the admissions counselor is one of the friendliest person I know and very helpful.

I also think that there is a very positive atmosphere and sense of community at Nova. The weather is beautiful and every student there seems to love the program. I can't wait til the 23rd to hear back!

Hi Subiedubie,

I read some of your previous post and you'd mentioned that you took your OAT twice? How long did you study the second time around? How was your study different? Your OAT scores look awesome the 2nd time. I think you have a very high chance of getting into NOVA! When did you submit your application to NOVA?

Thanks longlashes. I appreciate your comments.

Let's see...I first took the OAT on 10/15/05 and it was the last paper version. Got my score in late November and decided to retake the test. I couldn't retake it utill mid January cuz of the 90 day rule between tests. I ended up taking the test again early Feb. '06.

I was taking Autumn and Winter Quarter so time management was crucial for me. One of the most difficult thing about studying for the OAT again was having to do it all throughout the Winter Break. I took the Kaplan Review course earlier so I went back and reread the entire Kaplan Review book. Then I went through all, and I mean all of the subject tests and practice tests that Kaplan provided. But more importantly I made sure to go over the answers of questions that I had missed.

You ask how my studying was different the second time around. I think my attitude was different and I studied for this test with a vengence.:mad: I was extremely disappointed at myself after my first OAT cuz I knew I was abled to do a lot better. And in a way...I had to do better for any chance of getting accepted into optometry program.

So my improvement on the OAT was driven by anger, fear and little bit of anxiety. Not necessarily the best recipe for success but it worked nonetheless.:laugh: