Nova MBS Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pgsoker12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else interviewed for Nova's Master's of Biomedical Science program? I interviewed March 19th and havent seen anyone else post anything about this program or their interview.

If anyone has interviewed, what did you think of the program? How was the interview? Did you meet the current students?

Members don't see this ad.

I have only applied. It's so frustrating! They sent me an email saying I'm missing a document and haven't met one of the prerequisites. I emailed them back asking about it and no one has answered. I try calling everyday and it always goes to voicemail. And deadline is Thursday...

An interview??? For some stepping stone program that isn't even respected outside of nova??? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
An interview??? For some stepping stone program that isn't even respected outside of nova??? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Mmm for DO SMPs, Nova would be the second program that I know of that do conduct interviews for their biomedical program. In their defense though, I attended my interview at KCOM MBS and fell in love with the school and had a great experience talking with the faculty and students. I think it's a good thing to do if you are genuinely serious about the school as these programs are as you said, a "stepping stone" into their medical school. From what I've heard, Nova MBS has virtually had almost a 100% success rate for their accepted successful students who complete the program to matriculate itno their medical/dental school.

Pgsoaker12, was the interview in person or can it be done over the phone?

and does anyone who has been accepted or interviewed mind sharing their stats

Hey everyone,
I applied this year and I have my interview tomorrow (April 16). It's from 12pm-4pm. We get a tour of the school as well. I'm anxious!

How long did you wait after applying and when do they start giving out acceptances?

They said they are not sending acceptances until mid-late May. They want to conduct all the interviews first then send out all the acceptances. I heard their last interviews were scheduled for next week...

They said they are not sending acceptances until mid-late May. They want to conduct all the interviews first then send out all the acceptances. I heard their last interviews were scheduled for next week...

Could you describe what the whole process was like? I have an interview next week

Got there around 8:45, 5 people interviewed the same day as me
Met the Associate Dean of Student Affairs at 9, Dr. Lori Dribin
Met 3 of the current students and they gave us a tour of the facilities
Met multiple other current students and all sorts of med, dent, pharm, etc students
Then the 5 of us waited our turn for our interview
i was last out of the 5
Average interview was about 30 minutes
4 people were in my interview, Dr Dribin and 3 anatomy professors
asked me to describe myself and then some specifics about my academic history, what type of medicine i want to practice...things like that
It ended about 12:30
I asked if I could attend the seminar that the MBS students have each friday and got to see a few presentations. The current students are awesome and they seem to be a very close group

Did the anatomy professors ask you questions too? I'm getting pretty nervous for this interview...a lot more ppl applied this year

hey, my interview is tommorow...from what Pgsoker12 posted, I shouldnt really be worried about the interview right?

I mean are there any specific questions that they ask such as the current healthcare reform, etc? I guess what I am asking is are there any questions that we should be warned so we can prepare better for the interview?

thank you for your replies

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing you need to study for...just have a good description of yourself and try to shed a positive light on anything in your past. Make it a learning experience or something.

So this program is 2 years long, and if you do well in it then they will all but guarentee you a seat in their medical school? Thanks in advance

They guarantee admission if you score above an 80 in all tests during your first year. If you score below an 80 you automatically have to complete the second year of the program.

dofl,

Have you applied/interviewed? If so, have you or anyone else reading this heard anything regarding acceptance/waitlist/rejection???

Thank you

im still waiting...havent heard anything and their communication sucks. they dont answer their phones and dont respond to emails.

anyone else here anything? or when we should here something?

Same here i haven't heard anything either and I applied the end of Feb.

I received an email yesterday stating that I was accepted to the program; I was interviewed in early march, just to let you guys know that they're sending acceptances through emails good luck to everybody

I received an email yesterday stating that I was accepted to the program; I was interviewed in early march, just to let you guys know that they're sending acceptances through emails good luck to everybody

First, congratulations!
When did you apply? I was wondering if I could gauge it off first come first serve.

Thank you, I was very pleased to hear the good news after the long waiting. I applied very early mid january I think so. What are everybody's plans ?? anybody on waiting list at another schools ? or just concentrating on the postbac ?

I am just concentrating on the post-bac...I dont wanna move. I have a condo here that I cant sell and my wife is in law school here.

I havent heard anything yet but we will see...

I also received an acceptance email Thursday, May 13.:) I interviewed May 5th, which I think was the last interview date. Good Luck to all those still waiting!

I received my acceptance letter yesterday! Xenopus, I think we interviewed on the same day. Glad to hear about your acceptance!

Last edited:
Kinda weird but I think I may have interviewed with you guys as well. I was hoping for a bit more in the acceptance packet they sent us (financial aid, schedule of when class starts, books/laptop/materials needed). Are we allowed the same grad plus loan as the regular medical school? If you guys have any info on the above it would be most appreciated.

Side note, where are you thinking of living?

That's pretty cool that a few of us from the same interview day were accepted. I was also hoping for a little bit more information, especially regarding start dates and such. I want to start looking up information for housing because I'm from out of state and need to get a jump on things. I know NSU has graduate housing available, but I'm assuming this will fill up fast. I'm hoping there will be some local housing that's affordable and maybe find some roommates in our program.

I received the packet today too. I was hoping for more info. as well; it was the same stuff attached to the email sent previously. I assume we have to return the intent to enroll form by May 28 right ?

yes, by May 28th. I just submitted the the full $500 (100 acceptance + 400 deposit) since they really didn't give us much time to break the payments up. I did it online which was very easy.

In the packet, it said they will email us about a link for orientation that will go live in July. Hopefully that's not when they begin clueing us in considering we start in the beginning of August.

Yeah, I'm hoping they send us a follow up packet that contains a little more information after they receive our deposits.

Congrats mchllrls and DoctorGator!!! I still haven't received my packet...guess I will be calling tomorrow? Any idea when the start date is??

no idea...i'm thinking middle or end of august?

hi i have a question, what MCAT scores do they accept for this program? does it have to be above 24 or it does not matter?

I just wanted to let you guys know that I declined my spot for the MBS program for this upcoming fall. Good luck to all of you on the waitlist hoping for a future acceptance.

I've been working on getting everything in order and looking into which loans I should apply for. Did they send you information about financial aid?? Also, did you get a confirmation email about your deposit? The money withdrawal appeared on my bank statement, but I still haven't heard anything from them except an update on my student ID number.

I haven't heard anything back from NOVA I interviewed back in March and they said that they would get back to me mid may thru late may. Ive tried calling and emailing and no one picks up or responded. The communication stinks, i hope that the school itself is better than the administration. It seems to me that NOVA is a bit arrogant and it is not even a great DO school to begin with.

I got an email yesterday giving me an ID and access to a Sharklink account. However, it didn't work . . .go figure. I have called a few times and it is an absolute crapshoot trying to get anyone who knows anything about what we need to do. I have checked over on the NOVA 1st yr med school thread and they are getting alot of stuff together and done (laptops, finances, books, supplies). Since we are taking the same classes as they are I am assuming we would need what they are talking about as well. Have to admit I am already a bit frustrated after these first impressions of NOVA.

Sorry forgot to answer your questions, but I have not received any financial aid or confirmation. Just the email I mentioned above.

I went onto the webstar account and clicked the financial aid tab. It listed sub and unsub loans. I received a packed in the mail yesterday with loan info from NOVA. To cover the rest, I applied for a Grad Plus loan from the Federal goverment.

It is difficult to get someone on the phone, but I was able to last week. He told me orientation is July 30th and classed begin Aug 2. Just a heads up because those dates are coming soon!

Where is everyone thinking of living?

Thanks for the info! I applied for grad housing through the school for the first year and I figure that will give me some time to look for a house or something while I'm down there since I'm from out of state. Did you already start filling out your loan information? I'm trying to figure out if I should get going on that

I am still not too sure on living, I want to be close but everything is so expensive down there. I have seen Sunforest apartments firsthand. They are right across the street from NOVA making them convenient. However, they are ridiculously expensive for what you actually get. Pretty much have to grab a roomate if that is where you want to live.

I just got my sub/unsub loan info as well online. It says I basically have 21,000 covered of the 31,000 to go to the school. Is that about normal? I thought they would cover more . . .did anyone else get around that? I am guessing that the 31,000 doesn't even include living expenses so I am looking at approximately a 30,000 dollar grad plus loan?

Any input is most appreciated.

( 10,000 for school and 20,000 for housing/living expenses)

I'm in the exact same boat as you, except that they gave me the option for work study (which I am hesitant about doing during the program). I figure I will have to use the GradPlus loan to cover the difference, even though the interest on that loan is higher than the rest.

Have you heard anything else in regards to orientation or classes yet? Are there health forms that we need to submit as well? I guess I'm just having a tough time finding all this information.

Supposedly they are sending us a packet of something shortly. I haven't received anything though. I am assuming any health stuff we will have to do must not take too long since they haven't alerted us about anything yet. Still waiting . . .anybody sign a lease yet?

Has anyone else received an email from financial aid saying that they were waiting on the completion of your admissions file (mine specifically said transcripts)? I thought it was weird because I sent my transcripts a couple months ago. Of course I can get no one on the phone about it in the admissions office

What is the MCAT min for this program?

I received something about that transcipt/financial aid thing awhile back. I am pretty sure it was a generic email sent out because they have had my transcript for a long time. I wouldn't worry too much yet. Has anyone gotten an email for the orientation website they said they were going to send out at the beginning of July? For starting in less then a month this process has been pretty uneasy. Any help would be appreciated

hey guys, I just saw this thread again! I was also accepted into the program and am very very disappointed with the lack of communication on the schools behalf. I read over on the NSU class of 2014 thread about how they are registering for classes, buying equipments, books, white coats, etc and I have not received anything besides my login in to sharklink and once i log into sharklink, its basically useless because no information is posted on this. Anybody have any further info? Feel free to add me on facebook (Vishall Patel) or email me at [email protected]. As of now, I have moved down here from Houston last week and am moving into my new place.

I wanted to ask if any of you were reviewing any material and if so, what are you guys using? So far, everybody says DO NOT buy books and just buy the Anatomy Atlas.

Again, contact me if you have some more information or want to touch basis.

Thanks

I received the orientation email today and found out that I won't be able to get into my housing until August 1 (I guess they like to make things difficult). It sounds like we don't have to start classes until that Wednesday, which will hopefully give us some time to get settled in and such. Look forward to seeing you all soon! If you want to get in touch, my name is Michelle Grisillo and you can look me up on facebook as well. I'd like to get in touch with some of my classmates!