Nova omfs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hapappy41

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone applying to NOVAs OMFS program? I have tried to contact them via several different emails and have never heard back.

Their webpage says to fill out the online application but there isnt an oral surgery option on the drop down menu. Has anyone figured this out or have reliable contact information? I swear these programs couldn't make applying more frustrating if they tried.

Members don't see this ad.

I called them and they said they want nothing else other than PASS.

I was just told I have incomplete items because I have not submitted a supplementary application.

I left a message with Tanya Gress ext: 21926

The program started in 2002 . There are two outpatient centers one at the NSU Dental school and one at Broward General Medical center. The NSU dental clinic is similar to a private practice OMFS clinic. (impactions, simple and complex implants, sedation, bone grafting, soft tissue work, trauma follow up and minor cosmetic (fillers/botox)). This clinic is fed from dental school referrals and outside referrals. It is a cash pay clinic. Dental students receive 6 free implants to give to patients, which is primary source of implants. The other outpatient center is a Broward Health Medical Center it primarily treats uninsured, under insured and cancer patient follow ups of Dr. McClure. (impactions, sedation, trauma follow up and pathology follow up)

The program covers three hospitals two tertiary care Level I trauma centers Memorial Regional Hospital (MRH) and Broward General Medical Center (BGMC) and a Level two Memorial Hospital West (MHW). The program takes call 365 days/year at MRH, 273/year at BGMC (3 out of 4 weeks) and 91 days/year at MHW. At all hospitals the OMFS resident service is the only service covering facial trauma. MRH is affiliated with Joe Dimaggio Children's Hospital (JDCH) and residents work there as well (365/year)

The program has a clinic in the dental school the provides a steady flow of orthognathic referrals. Oral pathology is completed in house.

The program was started by the Chair Dr. Kaltman (university of Pittsburgh) who has Chaired three other programs (Pitt, Allegheny, MCP/Hahmemann), The Program Director Dr. McClure (Suny Downstate and Univ. Of Maryland) is fellowship trained in Head and Neck Surgery and Microvascular Surgery), Dr. Jason Portnof (Cornell, Wellington Centre for Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery) is fellowship trained in craniofacial anomalies. These are the faculty residents spend the bulk of their residency with. There is currently a search underway for a 4th attending position.

Dr. Ana Ospina oversees the the predoctoral clinic.

Residents rotate with the following individuals:

1. Dr. TJ Tejera. Spend one day per month in the OMFS Nova clinic. Primarily directing residents on cosmetic procedures as well as practice management.
  2. Dr. Curtis Schalit. Chief residents rotate for one month in Dr. Schalit’s private office. Focused solely on cosmetic procedures.
  3. Dr. John Clarke. Takes one week of call per month at BGMC
  4. Dr. Anthony Sclar. Third year residents rotate for two weeks at his private office. Focused solely on dental implants/soft tissue procedures/hard tissue augmentation/ and All on four procedures.
  5. Dr. Michael A. Pikos. Residents attend his 2 to 3 day lectures and hands on course at the Pikos Institute on Complex bone grafting, implant reconstruction, soft tissue management, and sinus augmentation.

The program’s Yearly schedule is the following:
Year one: 4 Months adult anesthesia (BGMC), 1 Month pediatric anesthesia (JDCH), 2 Months internal medicine, 5 months OMFS Service.
Year Two: 6 Month OMFS on service, 3 Months MRH Trauma resident, 3 Months BGMC Trauma resident
Year Three: 12 Months on OMFS service. (less 2 weeks at Dr. Sclar rotation)
Year Four: 4 Months OMFS Chief BGMC, 4 Months OMFS Chief MRH, 3 Months float chief, and 1 Month Cosmetic rotation with Dr. Schalit.

Chiefs attend yearly AAOMS meeting and 3rd years go to review course at LSU or Denver.

Call is covered by 1st, 2nd and 3rd year residents. Depending on the number of on service residents ranges from q2 to q5 call. BGMC is in house call, while MRH is home call with 20 minute response time.

There is a publication requirement to graduate. The program accepts three resident's/year.

I hope that helps anyone out there looking at Nova OMFS. For externship requests contact program director Dr. McClure: [email protected]