Eyed

10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2009
Status
i was actually accepted to the POP program but declined it because of offers from other schools. Its basically like a trial first year. YOu have to meet certain requirements such as <80 or even <90 in certain classes. If you meet those requirements u can contiue to matriculate into the second year. if not, you just lost your first years tuition and time.

Apr 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Optometry
What does POP stand for? I couldn't find anything with that acronym on their website.

Is this kind of like an SMP for Optometry?

Mar 12, 2010
Status
Pre-Optometry
i was actually accepted to the POP program but declined it because of offers from other schools. Its basically like a trial first year. YOu have to meet certain requirements such as <80 or even <90 in certain classes. If you meet those requirements u can contiue to matriculate into the second year. if not, you just lost your first years tuition and time.
My friend was accepted to the POP program as well..its a year of classes that comprises of the tough classes from the first year curriculum and three other ones.

Actually, you do not go from POP to second year. You go from POP to first year optometry.

The requirements say you have to keep a GPA over 3.0 to be accepted, and for every class you make an A you don't have to repeat when you're taking your first year classes.

Hope that helps.

DawgOD

SCO C/o 2014
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Status
Optometry Student
is that the 5 year program they offer for optometry students? I thought it was pretty cool of NOVA to come up with that.

Jan 24, 2010
Status
Optometry Student
the 5 years program = extended program= less classes than regular students maybe 2 less per semester.
POP program= pre-trial.. have to pass all classes to continue into first year; however, if pass with all As then they can go to 2nd year I think..not sure on that...

Mar 12, 2010
Status
Pre-Optometry
is that the 5 year program they offer for optometry students? I thought it was pretty cool of NOVA to come up with that.
No the POP program is actually an undergraduate program - you're not technically accepted to the optometry program until you complete the POPS program succesfully with a 3.0 GPA.

The 5 yr program is just an extended program after you have been accepted to the optometry course. The only difference is that the classes in the first two years (the hardest years) are split into three years. Its for students with families and other obligations. Kinda nice...

Last edited:

Taven7755

10+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2008
Nova Southeastern U
Status
Optometry Student
As a student here at Nova, I can tell you that a 3.0 is VERY feasible....and I personally know a lot of students that matriculated in that way. With that said, it is not the "E-student" program, or a 5 year program whereupon you are a full-fledged student, only your classes are more spaced out, at least the first 3 years...you become an OD3 in what is your 4th year at the school w a normal schedule.

And one more thing....there is ZERO, sub-zero, chances of someone getting all A's and just moving into 2nd year. Anyone that goes here would tell you that....