Nova Southeastern BS/DO Class of 2019/2020

aklohia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I was just accepted to the 7 year BS/DO program at Nova Southeastern University. I was wondering if anybody else here was accepted to either the 7 or 8 year program.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a junior at NSU in the 4+4 BS/DO and if anyone has questions feel free to ask, if I haven't gotten back to you promptly feel free to PM me, I'm busy and sometimes forget to check on here.

In case there are other sdn'ers who are interested in this program feel free to PM me or just reply back here as well. I was in the 3+4 program.

Pro's about the program:
- It's pretty easy to stay in the program since only a low gpa (3.3-3.4?) & MCAT (26) is required.
-The med school itself is well known, they have great teachers, new equipment, the location is amazing & you'll have a big class to give your support
- The medical school + clinics are right on campus
- If you decide medical school is not right for you, you can switch into other dual degree programs such as dental, pharmacy, P.A..etc This is pretty popular and easy to do as just in my first year 5/6 of my friends changed from being B.S/D.O to other tracts.
- Full ride scholarships are offered & are not as competitive as most schools
- At max there will be 32 people in your class so the quality of your learning is better & teachers are pretty willing to take on research assistants if you're interested in their projects. You also have the option of doing research with the graduate school, which I recommend since grad schools PI's are more interested in getting published

Tips for those accepted:
- There are relatively uncompetitive full ride options for undergrad. Apply for them
- Make sure to sign up for the honors program. I cannot stress this enough. You get to sign up early for classes which is well worth it to get the good organic chem & physics teachers. You do not have to complete the honors program, and thus do not have to take out of the way classes. You will get a $100 scholarship, and get to go for a lot of events for free like horseback riding, canoeing, theater shows..etc
-if out of state, try to get florida residency as soon as possible. All the institutional scholarships offered by NSU-COM require Fl residency. I just made sure to get a Florida driver's license & that's all the finaid office needed to process me as in state. It's not a bad investment to buy a condo or house if you can afford it either.
- Do Not do the CEP program. Take time to find doctors you can shadow on your own or ask your professors or the pre med faculty advisors (Such as Dr. Roopnarine, Dr.Loomis or Dr. Jaffe) if they know any doctors who are taking students to shadow. You'll get a better experience, be able to shadow for a year or more & ultimately form a better relationship + letter of rec
- There's also a leadership program which gives you money for books as long as you attend certain workshops called super sharks. You'll be able to cover most of your book costs. There is also a facebook NSU textbook exchange group where you can buy and sell books to other students. I would link it, but I already deleted it from my facebook groups

Finally, this program is amazing in the amount of flexibility it gives you. You can apply to different medical schools and are not restricted to only coming to NSU-COM, can change into another medical program if you wish, the scholarships are very good, and it's a respectable school (just check their match list). It offers you all the chance to succeed, but most students do fail to meet the MCAT requirement. Being a guaranteed program does offer security, but I think this sense of security hurt most of the people in B.S/D.O program

If you plan to apply out, try to keep being a competitive student. If you are out of state, in some case it might be better not to do this program. It's easier and less expensive to get into your state school & if you were a strong enough student in high school to get at least interviewed at other B.S/M.D or D.O schools, you should still have a good chance at getting into another med school.

:luck:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What were ur SAT scores and GPA. All of you!

+1 would also like to know!

also, thanks for the tips. It's always awesome to hear from someone who's gone through the process

Also do you have to still take the MCAT?

yeah, they said they need a 26 to stay in the program.

In case there are other sdn'ers who are interested in this program feel free to PM me or just reply back here as well. I was in the 3+4 program.

Pro's about the program:
- It's pretty easy to stay in the program since only a low gpa (3.3-3.4?) & MCAT (26) is required.
-The med school itself is well known, they have great teachers, new equipment, the location is amazing & you'll have a big class to give your support
- If you decide medical school is not right for you, you can switch into other dual degree programs such as dental, pharmacy, P.A..etc This is pretty popular and easy to do as just in my first year 5/6 of my friends changed from being B.S/D.O to other tracts.
- At max there will be 32 people in your class so the quality of your learning is better & teachers are pretty willing to take on research assistants if you're interested in their projects. You also have the option of doing research with the graduate school, which I recommend since grad schools PI's are more interested in getting published

Tips for those accepted:
- There are relatively uncompetitive full ride options for undergrad. Apply for them
- Make sure to sign up for the honors program. I cannot stress this enough. You get to sign up early for classes which is well worth it to get the good organic chem & physics teachers. You do not have to complete the honors program, and thus do not have to take out of the way classes. You will get a $100 scholarship, and get to go for a lot of events for free like horseback riding, canoeing, theater shows..etc
-if out of state, try to get florida residency as soon as possible. All the institutional scholarships offered by NSU-COM require Fl residency. I just made sure to get a Florida driver's license & that's all the finaid office needed to process me as in state. It's not a bad investment to buy a condo or house if you can afford it either.
- Do Not do the CEP program. Take time to find doctors you can shadow on your own or ask your professors or the pre med faculty advisors (Such as Dr. Roopnarine, Dr.Loomis or Dr. Jaffe) if they know any doctors who are taking students to shadow. You'll get a better experience, be able to shadow for a year or more & ultimately form a better relationship + letter of rec
- There's also a leadership program which gives you money for books as long as you attend certain workshops called super sharks. You'll be able to cover most of your book costs. There is also a facebook NSU textbook exchange group where you can buy and sell books to other students. I would link it, but I already deleted it from my facebook groups

Finally, this program is amazing in the amount of flexibility it gives you. You can apply to different medical schools and are not restricted to only coming to NSU-COM, can change into another medical program if you wish, the scholarships are very good, and it's a respectable school (just check their match list). It offers you all the chance to succeed, but most students do fail to meet the MCAT requirement. Being a guaranteed program does offer security, but I think this sense of security hurt most of the people in B.S/D.O program

If you plan to apply out, try to keep being a competitive student. If you are out of state, in some case it might be better not to do this program. It's easier and less expensive to get into your state school & if you were a strong enough student in high school to get at least interviewed at other B.S/M.D or D.O schools, you should still have a good chance at getting into another med school.

Did you say that most students fail to meet the MCAT requirement? Is there an MCAT requirement to apply out because if you were referred to just staying in the program then 26 MCAT should be pretty easy to achieve for someone accepted to a dual degree program...

I don't remember my exact gpa or SAT. From the stats of fellows B.S/D.O'ers, I believe that as long as you meet the req's of a 3.5 gpa & 1300/1600 on your SAT you will likely get an interview. Most people who interview also get accepted. Also the 3.5 gpa can be either your weighted or unweighted gpa.

Did you say that most students fail to meet the MCAT requirement? Is there an MCAT requirement to apply out because if you were referred to just staying in the program then 26 MCAT should be pretty easy to achieve for someone accepted to a dual degree program...

Yes, most students fail to meet the MCAT requirement. You are free to apply to anywhere you want. The dual contract is not binding you to NSU-COM. In fact you may switch to the dual dent program if you meet the DAT req.

Last edited:
this is for sure going to seem rude but why would you opt to be a D.O versus MD?

Well if you could wouldn't you try for MD?
I don't have a lot of knowledge as it pertains to the MD / DO difference

Members don't see this ad :)
Well if you could wouldn't you try for MD?
I don't have a lot of knowledge as it pertains to the MD / DO difference

You have a pretty common question. There's a sticky about the M.D or D.O question. It will have a more comprehensive answer than what I can give you. I'll link two other threads as well

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=133066

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=820374

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=901386

Do these links help clarify your concerns?

Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with applying for an allopathic school, and alot of students did or at least a lot of students went into the program with the intention of applying out, so you'd be in the majority thinking like that. People applying out was a large part of the reason why the people accepted into the program increased from ~20 to ~60. There can be definite benefits to allopathic school (easier to get into competitive specialties, possibly lower tuition...etc) . For some people, osteopathic school seems to fit better for them. Nova is pretty strong among all the D.O schools, the student body is really supportive of one another, and again you are 5-10 minutes away from the beach. So those are some reasons to go into the program. I've heard the national osteopathic leaders say the real difference btwn M.D and D.O was the training you receive, and they weren't just talking about OMM. For example: MD + OMM = still different than D.O.

***edit: with the AOA/ACGME merger, it SHOULD be easier than it was before to get into harder specialties

There are some older SDN'rs who would be amazing at pointing out what they really enjoyed about osteopathic school (i like jaggerplate's posts, and whoever has that dancing milk carton), although there really isn't much difference.

Last edited:
Hi,
I hope someone will reply to my post, but I am a senior in high school. I sent in my application for NSU's BS/DO program in December. Does anyone know when interview notifications are out? I am a bit nervous that I won't get in or even offered an interview. I heard that out of 1900 applicants, only 75 are offered admission. Is that true?

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi LadyPikachuu,

I got in last week. Also I'm not sure about the applicants/offered admission number.

Pediado,

Wow! Congratulations.
I still have not gotten an interview.
Could you tell me when you submitted your application and when was your interview?

Also, can I PM you?

Thanks for replying to me.

Hi,
I hope someone will reply to my post, but I am a senior in high school. I sent in my application for NSU's BS/DO program in December. Does anyone know when interview notifications are out? I am a bit nervous that I won't get in or even offered an interview. I heard that out of 1900 applicants, only 75 are offered admission. Is that true?

Thanks!

As long as you have the required scores, you have a very good chance of getting an interview. I remember seeing the full list of people who were in the BS/DO program when I started. Combined, it was more than 60 people who had been accepted, so there were way more interviews than 75 as some students rejected their acceptance.

Very motivating and insightful. Just wondering if you have graduated. If not, are you still in the DO program or moved on to MD.

Pro's about the program:

Tips for those accepted:

Very motivating and insightful. Just wondering if you have graduated. If not, are you still in the DO program or moved on to MD.
Hi LadyPikachuu,

I got in last week. Also I'm not sure about the applicants/offered admission number.

Hi!
I have shark preview interview scheduled this week for dual admission bs/do program. Any suggestions what to expect during the Med interview. I really appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

Hi!
I have shark preview interview scheduled this week for dual admission bs/do program. Any suggestions what to expect during the Med interview. I really appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.
Hey! I am currently a junior who is interested in the program. Can you tell me what your stats were in order for you to get an interview for the program? Thanks!

Hey! I am currently a junior who is interested in the program. Can you tell me what your stats were in order for you to get an interview for the program? Thanks!

Hey I was just accepted into this program and I had a 29 on my act with 4.3 gpa and a lot of volunteer hours (550) , leadership positions (4) , and sports (3). I got the chance to talk to a lot of the other that applied to this program in the same cycle as me. When we compared our stats mine were incredibly lower and I was very surprised to have been selected for an interview. So I realized I had to kill it to get into the program so during the interview I tried to be as charming, funny, and interesting as I could and it worked haha because I got into the 7 year program!

Pro's about the program:

Tips for those accepted:

After you meet GPA and MCAT any chance they reject you.

I am a junior at NSU in the 4+4 BS/DO and if anyone has questions feel free to ask, if I haven't gotten back to you promptly feel free to PM me, I'm busy and sometimes forget to check on here.
I am seriously looking for information on once Dual student meet the GPA and MCAT requirement when they get grant interview after submitting secondary and if the reject any one after meeting GPA and MCAT req.

I am seriously looking for information on once Dual student meet the GPA and MCAT requirement when they get grant interview after submitting secondary and if the reject any one after meeting GPA and MCAT req.
FutureCTDoc and I are both 8-9 years out of when we applied for interviews, and the whole process has changed. I left the program after 3 years. We don't know how they accept people anymore or much about the current application/interview/selection process. You should ask current people in the program by searching for their facebook groups. They might be able to give better insight. I hope you get in Tulsi :)

Hi! I have Dual Admissions B.S./O.D and I will let you all know something to help now. It is not only the GPA/scores/etc. If you want to "stand out", shadow! I can't stress that enough. I have seen many come to shark preview interview and hear many of the applicants have not shadowed or have not done enough shadowing. I made bare minimum but had over 100hrs shadowing compared to someone coming in with her AA from dual enrollment with little or no shadowing.

Hi! I have Dual Admissions B.S./O.D and I will let you all know something to help now. It is not only the GPA/scores/etc. If you want to "stand out", shadow! I can't stress that enough. I have seen many come to shark preview interview and hear many of the applicants have not shadowed or have not done enough shadowing. I made bare minimum but had over 100hrs shadowing compared to someone coming in with her AA from dual enrollment with little or no shadowing.
Thanks for information. Once you are in dual program and you have shadow, volu, research, scribe etc. what else is important.

Last edited:
Thanks for information. Once you are in dual program and you have shadow, volu, research, scribe etc. what else is important.
Tbh, your sanity is important. I've met some who wanted to finish undergrad in 2 years (instead of 3 or 4 years) and they crack from the pressure later on and did poorly on the MCAT. So, bad GPA and poor MCAT scores, they lost their seat. Don't do that. If you have college credit coming in, a high enough SAT score to skip "prerequisites", and money to afford Summer courses, then you can do the 3 years. If you don't have 4,000 to cover one summer course, then there is no shame to do 4+4. These are things that Saul isn't telling the applicants that I was told back when someone else was in charge of Dual.

Tbh, your sanity is important. I've met some who wanted to finish undergrad in 2 years (instead of 3 or 4 years) and they crack from the pressure later on and did poorly on the MCAT. So, bad GPA and poor MCAT scores, they lost their seat. Don't do that. If you have college credit coming in, a high enough SAT score to skip "prerequisites", and money to afford Summer courses, then you can do the 3 years. If you don't have 4,000 to cover one summer course, then there is no shame to do 4+4. These are things that Saul isn't telling the applicants that I was told back when someone else was in charge of Dual.
This is great information. please update us if you come across any other information. Once you have GPA and MCAT any other factor where you lost seat.

Congratulations on your acceptance. Just want to talk to you and need to know what they look at? What was you gpa and Sat/Act scores?

Hey guys,
I was just accepted to the 7 year BS/DO program at Nova Southeastern University. I was wondering if anybody else here was accepted to either the 7 or 8 year program.

Congratulations on your acceptance. Just want to talk to you and need to know what they look at? What was you gpa and Sat/Act scores?

Hey, my gpa was around a 4.35 and my act score was a 31. We just had to a submit in another application for the dual admission program along with another essay. After that we got invited for an interview and during the interview they asked us questions like why we wanted to become a doctor and other types of questions about healthcare and healthcare reform. I also remember them splitting us up into groups and giving each group about 10 minutes to prepare a small presentation based on the question that your group was assigned. My group was assigned the question about what we thought was wrong with healthcare and what we would do to reform it. That was pretty much it! I think if you just be yourself and show them that you truly want to become a doctor for the right reasons you will get in no doubt!

Did any one try to do DO 7 year program from Nova ?

Pro's about the program:

Tips for those accepted:

Just wondering are you still in the DO program or moved on to MD. When you graduating from undergrad

Just wondering are you still in the DO program or moved on to MD. When you graduating from undergrad

Hey I'm in my second year of undergrad and plan on taking my MCAT this summer. I'm still in the DO program but I plan on applying out to MD schools.