Nova Southeastern PsyD program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych101

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has any knowledge or experience about the Nova Southeastern PsyD program. Good? Bad? I'm encountering a colleague trained through that program and I'm trying to understand where he's coming from as far as training background. I tried to look it up and just got more confused. They offer both a PsyD and PhD program and it's hard to understand what distinguishes one from the other -- maybe just more practical experience vs. a dissertation/more research ? And they offer numerous specialties such as child/adol, forensic, health psych, clinical neuropsych, multicultural track, psychodynamic psychology, psych of long-term mental illness -- so many things!!!. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi

I will be starting at Nova this month and although I haven't started I hope I can help you somewhat. They offer the Psy.D. and Ph.D. and the main difference is in the amount of research, stats, and dissertation. Ph.D. students take lots of research courses and are paired up with a mentor from the beginning while Psy.D. students are not required although we do take a few courses in research and stats. The "dissertation" for a Psy.D. student is called a "directed study" and is more clinical in nature- more like a case study or program study- and is shorter in length.

Both programs allow students to chose a concentration like forensic or health or a "track" such as child/adolescents that suggests which electives you should take. A limited number of students are accepted into concentrations whereas tracks can be chosen in the second year and are less "concentrated". Dr. Levant is the current APA president and he teaches at the university and was dean for a while.

Also, another plus to our program is the wide range of faculty interests such as eating and anxiety disorders, children with ADHD, forensics...etc. I applied to several PsyD programs and I was amazed at the amount of faculty that students have access to when selecting research interests.

Hope this helps...

Yes - that helps a lot. Thanks! And good luck to you this fall -- sounds like you'll have a lot of exciting opportunities!

Maddy325 said:
Hi

I will be starting at Nova this month and although I haven't started I hope I can help you somewhat. They offer the Psy.D. and Ph.D. and the main difference is in the amount of research, stats, and dissertation. Ph.D. students take lots of research courses and are paired up with a mentor from the beginning while Psy.D. students are not required although we do take a few courses in research and stats. The "dissertation" for a Psy.D. student is called a "directed study" and is more clinical in nature- more like a case study or program study- and is shorter in length.

Both programs allow students to chose a concentration like forensic or health or a "track" such as child/adolescents that suggests which electives you should take. A limited number of students are accepted into concentrations whereas tracks can be chosen in the second year and are less "concentrated". Dr. Levant is the current APA president and he teaches at the university and was dean for a while.

Also, another plus to our program is the wide range of faculty interests such as eating and anxiety disorders, children with ADHD, forensics...etc. I applied to several PsyD programs and I was amazed at the amount of faculty that students have access to when selecting research interests.

Hope this helps...

Maddy Hi,

Read your msg Here and thought I would ask you a few questions myself.
Nova is one of the PsyD Programs I am applying to for fall 06. I have spoken to the reps. there and looked over the web site. All looks well. I was wondering about the competition about getting in? How tough was it? Also are you going for the PhD or PsyD Program? And would it be advisable to contact the chair person to develop a relationship so they will know me?
Thanks in advance for any and all responses.
Danny