Nova Southeastern University interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dreamer131

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was contacted for a phone interview from Nova SE University in FL. Has anyone heard much about their interview process or how many applicants they interview? Its my first interview so I'm really nervous. Has anyone ever interviewed there before or have had a phone interview elsewhere and can give me some tips. I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I was contacted for a phone interview from Nova SE University in FL. Has anyone heard much about their interview process or how many applicants they interview? Its my first interview so I'm really nervous. Has anyone ever interviewed there before or have had a phone interview elsewhere and can give me some tips. I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Yeah,

I applied there the first time and was waitlisted but never got accepted. They interview all of their qualified applicants over the phone. The person that interviewed me was a Physical Therapist who worked for NOVA part time. The only two questions I remember are:

Why NOVA?
What would you do if you had class but had a social obligation to attend which means you had to miss class?

Sorry for not remembering more, this was about 1.5 years ago.

Sorry I can't answer your question, but I got an email today from NOVA asking me if I would consider the part-time program in tampa in addition to the full time program since the full time received over 700 apps for 50 seats.
They just got my application last week and I'm wondering if everyone gets this message or just some people. Did you receive this? When did you apply?

I'm not sure what to say because if I say no, that might seem like I'm not interested in the school - but I don't think I would really want to do a part time program
If I say yes, I don't want them to throw my application over to the part time program and not even consider me for the full time

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure what to say because if I say no, that might seem like I'm not interested in the school - but I don't think I would really want to do a part time program
If I say yes, I don't want them to throw my application over to the part time program and not even consider me for the full time
Man what a predicament. Ummm....reply with something like, I would really like to be considered for the full time program in the fort lauderdale campus, and will strongly consider attending the part time campus in Tampa. IDK, you have better stats than me so you probably would get into the fulltime program.

I actually had an interview there by phone a few weeks ago. I forgot to ask them how many people they interview but the professor that interviewed me did say they get over 700 applicants and only accept 50 students. I'll let you know that it was really chill. I thought it would be a lot more intense but it wasn't. He just asked me the basic questions, why Nova, why PT, hobbies, etc. They also asked me how many schools I applied to and which ones I did, which I think is unnecessary. Also, what you are looking for in a physical therapy program. One question that got me was if I knew anything in physical therapy legislation. Hopefully that helps. Good luck!

Thanks for all of the input! Just a day or two ago I got the email about the school having received over 700 applications. That made my day a little bit sour. I don't want to do the part-time DPT unless I have absolutely no other options. I'm not sure what I'll say. :/

I had an phone interview on 12/13 and I was accepted by a phone call on 12/17 for the MOT program.

I am not sure if you had your interview already... but if you haven't here are a few questions they asked me.

1) Why Nova?
2) What made you want to do OT (in your case w/e it is you are planning on doing)?
3) GRE verbal score vs. quantitative... verbal is much lower than quantitative so does that mean you are bad at reading and writing?
4) You have a lot of extra curricular activities so how do you balance your time/ how do you keep up with school work?
5) Do you know anyone at NSU?
6) What is your strength?
7) What is your weakness?
8) Why should we choose you?

What I noticed about this interview was that they really ask personal questions and want to get to know you as a person. They have your resume/personal statement in front of you and basically form questions from all the things you did. You just have to show them that you really are perfect for NSU.

During my interview, I started babbling and in the middle I was like, "I am going to start all over, I'm sorry." And then towards the end I said, "Can I add something more to a question you had asked already?" And they were open to it so I thought I did so horrible... on top of that my GRE score is only 1000 and my cumulative GPA is 3.01. I still got accepted, remember to be yourself and be able to express that you love whatever it is that you are trying to become in life.

Hope this helps and good luck if you hadn't had the interview yet! :)

Is Novasoutheastern still accepting students for the next class? I tried calling them and they never returned my call.

Did anyone else get in for the 2013 centering class? They are the first school to accept me and I am going!!

I got accepted for the 2013 entering class as well. I plan on attending as well

I was accepted and am almost positive I will be attending! Where are you guys from?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from Charlotte, NC. I'm going to the PT VIP access tomorrow at NOVA. If you have any specific questions about the program, feel free to let me know.

I got accepted and will most likely be attending as well.. paid my deposit yesterday! I'm from NY and am planning on taking a trip down in January to visit the campus. AKwolf let us know how you like it!

When you get the phone interview, do they just call you anytime?
or they contact you beforehand and let you know when they will call you for the interview?

Really enjoyed meeting with a professor and students currently in the PT program. I got an overall feel for the program and location. The program starts end of May for those your interested. Also they did mention you will have a life besides studying so thats always good to hear.

Sounds great! I am going to the January PT VIP access.. looking forward to seeing the campus and meeting with faculty and current students. Did they talk about housing at all? I'm wondering if I should try to find an apartment when I go down in January..

I just got an acceptance in email without any interview. Is this normal?

I just got an acceptance in email without any interview. Is this normal?
Yea, I got the same and then they'll send you the official letter in the mail.. they told me they don't interview for the 3-year Ft. Lauderdale program, only for the Tampa hybrid program.

What were your stats saltyload? I don't understand how you can get an acceptance without an email, isn't it required?

JD

For those of you that got accepted, I was just curious when you e-submitted and turned in the supp application. Thanks

I have a few questions for those that have visited nova or know about the school.

How much of the faculty are actually physical therapists?
Should I be worried that they accept people without interviewing them?

What were your stats saltyload? I don't understand how you can get an acceptance without an email, isn't it required?

JD

3.5-3.6 gpa mid 320's gre

I guess they only interview for the hybrid program according to allidpt

For those of you that got accepted, I was just curious when you e-submitted and turned in the supp application. Thanks

Submitted late august.

I am going down to visit Nova for their January PT VIP access so I am not sure about their faculty.. I do have a ton of questions for them that I will ask then. I already submitted my deposit so I have time to figure this all out but if you are not sure you should send the PT admissions or director of the program an email. I was thinking maybe they don't interview because more than half of their students are out of state? Not sure though..

gatorgrad87 my PTCAS was sent out on Oct 2nd and my supplemental was submitted Oct 12. They may be waiting to see who accepts their spots to send out another round of acceptances?

I am going down to visit Nova for their January PT VIP access so I am not sure about their faculty.. I do have a ton of questions for them that I will ask then. I already submitted my deposit so I have time to figure this all out but if you are not sure you should send the PT admissions or director of the program an email. I was thinking maybe they don't interview because more than half of their students are out of state? Not sure though..

gatorgrad87 my PTCAS was sent out on Oct 2nd and my supplemental was submitted Oct 12. They may be waiting to see who accepts their spots to send out another round of acceptances?

Figure what out? Isn't the deposit $1000 non-refundable? Putting down a deposit pretty much tells them you are definitely going there.

Yea, I got the same and then they'll send you the official letter in the mail.. they told me they don't interview for the 3-year Ft. Lauderdale program, only for the Tampa hybrid program.

What's the difference between the Ft. Lauderdale program and Tampa hybrid program? Nova offers both of these? I'm a little confused, could someone straighten this out please?

JD

Yes the deposit is non-refundable but a lot of people will put down multiple deposits to hold their spots bc you have such a short window to decide and then withdraw from whichever school you choose to not attend. I am set on Nova but I would like to actually see the school and be able to picture myself there for the next 3 years.

Nova offers both of these entry-level programs. The Ft. Lauderdale is 3 years and like a regular full-time DPT program where you are on their campus for all classes every day of the week. The hybrid in Tampa takes 4 years to complete and is mostly online and you have to go to the actual campus I think like a few times a month or something like that..

Last edited:
So you're saying they don't interview people on campus for the regular 3 year program that most people go for? =/ Seems to good to be true for me, especially since my travel is limited because of basketball season.

JD

Hey Guys! for those who just got into NSU please join me on a DPT class of 2013 group on Facebook. I figured we could communicate on there. onhttp://www.facebook.com/groups/391127737629728/

I visited NOVA on a PT VIP Access tour in early October. I learned a lot about the program, so if you have specific questions, I may be able to help! But yes, I was accepted a couple weeks ago. THERE IS NO INTERVIEW FOR THE FT. LAUDERDALE CAMPUS. They informed us that they only do phone interviews if a scenario such as the following occurs: they look at a student, and they have good grades, good GRE scores, and good letters of rec, except for one that is subpar. They said in this case, they may call an applicant to try and get a feel for what the situation is if that makes sense.

spartangal, could you please clarify whether or not the Ft Lauderdale campus is the main campus for NOVA? I have a ton of questions as it is one of my top schools.

JD

That's really surprising but after re-reading their website it does say "A phone or in-person interview when all other requirements are met." So the question now is what determines whether it's a phone or in-person interview? Whether or not the person is able to travel etc?

JD

When I visited NOVA for a PT VIP access pass tour, they informed us that they only did phone interviews and only did so if there was some discrepancy as far as an individual's application. AKA everything looks good BUT _________. They said in cases such as these, they may call the applicant to try and get a better feel for the person. Otherwise, they do not do interviews. I was accepted with no interview of any sort.

Wow alrighty then, i'm not complaining, but can anyone tell me if NOVA is CAPTE certified yet?

JD

Can those accepted to the Nova Ft. Lauderdale campus post stats if you don't mind? I'm debating on if I should try to make the deadline.