Nova Southeastern University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bioshawn

bioshawn
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would you please give me any comments about NOVA Dental school?
Is there enough patients? good clinic? Tough to survive? Most of seniors graduate on time? are their professors nice? rank of national board exam?
any pros and cons?
easy to find apartments? How much... I have a family.. need 2-bedroom.
It would be very appreciated if you can answer me.

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Here is a long discussion in the OD forum. It does somewhat relate to dentistry because the two degrees share classes, like the bio-chems and stuff. My wife got her PA degree at nova and hated the school due to the lack of tranining. But she did find an awesome job, the doc took her under his wing and she is a very competent practioner now. So it makes you wonder, does it really matter if the school sucks or is awesome, because when you get out the real learning starts. Just go where ever you are accepted and pick the cheapest school. I wish now I took this advice and went the cheap route. So long story short, you get accepted to Nova, go there, but if you get accepted to a cheaper school, your better off going to the cheaper school.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=175175

^^^

Just wanted to correct something. We only have one and a half classes with the ODs, and its not biochem, its Physio and half of Gross. Thats it for your entire 4 years. I think you might be compairing apples and oranges when compairing the OD or PA progarams to the dental, they are entirely seperate colleges. You did make a good point though, cheaper is always better.

Members don't see this ad :)
JRogoff said:
^^^
You did make a good point though, cheaper is always better.

Yeah man, I had all this smoke blown up my rear end that I should go Ivy. I just paid almost $700 in accrued interest and I'm only a first year in 2nd semester :(

I wish I could turn the clock back and go to my state school.

To all that read this. IF YOU GET ACCEPTED TO A PUBLIC DENTAL SCHOOL, JUST ATTEND. WHO CARES ABOUT THE REPUTATION OR CLINICAL TRAINING. IN THE END IT DOESN'T MATTER!!!

I went out to a bar one night and met a dentist there. Do you know what he said about a DDS/DMD degree? He said all it means is that you are trainable. It doesn't matter where you go or how good the training is. In the end all that matters is that you get your degree.

DAMN IT!!!

dental2008 said:
Yeah man, I had all this smoke blown up my rear end that I should go Ivy. I just paid almost $700 in accrued interest and I'm only a first year in 2nd semester :(

I wish I could turn the clock back and go to my state school.

To all that read this. IF YOU GET ACCEPTED TO A PUBLIC DENTAL SCHOOL, JUST ATTEND. WHO CARES ABOUT THE REPUTATION OR CLINICAL TRAINING. IN THE END IT DOESN'T MATTER!!!

I went out to a bar one night and met a dentist there. Do you know what he said about a DDS/DMD degree? He said all it means is that you are trainable. It doesn't matter where you go or how good the training is. In the end all that matters is that you get your degree.

DAMN IT!!!

I don't want to sound to wishy-washy but there's some truth to it doesn't matter where you go because you still end up with a degree. But that's about where it ends. I think to a large degree what your pre-doctoral training is like will in measure determine what your career will be like. Yes you'll probably (and hopefully) do most of your learning once you leave school, you're only going to be able to build your knowledge and skills upon your current base. It is like trying to build a multi-million dollar house on the foundation prepared for a cottage. Choosing a dental school is a big decision.

I am a second year at Nova and as far as the cost of school goes, yes I've paid out more than a lot of people, but there was no state school for me to go to in my home state. I was accepted as a non-resident at some statet schools but the state school's didn't hold a candle to the facilities and faculty at Nova.

When I was applying to dental school I was really concerned about the cost of school. An orthodontist who I spent a lot of time with gave me some great advice. The cost of dental school is not an expense it is an investment. I do not come from a wealthy family, I am using student loans to complete my education, I have friends with families who are in the same boat. You can do it.

Don't get me wrong, cost should be a factor in your decision. But don't let it be THE deciding factor.

There's my 2 cents, and that's about all I had left. ;)

Thank you for your good informs.
Can you give me about looking-for-apartment tips?

bioshawn said:
Thank you for your good informs.
Can you give me about looking-for-apartment tips?

This post does not directly relate to NOVA, but when looking for an apartment I have found it most helpful to speak with current tenants. Trust me, if there is something wrong at an apartment complex, they usually are more than willing to speak up and vent. That's how I avoided a bad apartment complex that eventually caught fire and half of it burned down due to improper fire resistance material and lack of sprinklers. Research, my friend. It does the wallet good! Bueno suerte!