NOVA students

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iEYEi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions hopefully you guys can answer fully....

Where do you live? About how much is rent?
Where else were you accept to and what made you ultimately decide on NOVA? Any regrets, surprises (pleasant/unpleassant)?
What advice can you give a potential 1st year student? What materials should I refresh myself on to better prepare myself?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I won't start NOVA til next year but maybe I can help in the housing department. When I went down there I saw rent range from around $650 to over $1600 a month (keeping in mind the $1600 could be split 2 or more ways). I think the average rent was around $1000 for a nice 1 bedroom in a complex that have ammenties like a pool, hottub, gym and well-maintained grounds. Many of these complexes are adjacent to the campus so you could just walk to class

You could also live on campus which is also convenient and fairly inexpensive, but there are a limited number of spots there.

Another thing to consider if you have some cash to front is to buy a condo. South FL has thousands of them and a lot of them are going pretty cheap. The mortgage payment would be very comparable to renting and you wouldn't be flushing money down the toilet. I know a girl who was a medical student down there that actually made a years worth of tuition when she sold it! I'm still looking but I think this is what I'll end up doing.

Sunforest across from school. Too much. ICO (too big), NEWENCO (too cold and expensive), UMSL (doesn't accept OAT scores after 3 years).

Nova, of course, is nice and warm, the admin staff is extremely friendly, the classes are pretty extensive, the fact work around other pre-professionals (and sometimes with them), and honestly, it is a very aesthetically appealing school.

Surprises? That all those aesthetics may not be all that functional :laugh: And that while there is a lot of course work, there are still plenty of times when you won't have a class or lab. Shock of course would be how expensive everything is!

As for studying to prepare, all I can tell you is my personal opinion. You don't need to study anything prior to coming here, you just need to study once you get here. I didn't have any problems and I had 4 years between my undergrad and here. But I know other people weren't as lucky. I guess it just depends on how you learn, and how important it is for you to learn as opposed to memorizing info. Personally, micro and biochem seemed like things you could only memorize, but anatomy, which was definitely the toughest course we took first year, might be easier if you work on it more before you get here.

Oh, and live in the dorms. I wouldn't definitely not advise a condo as the market here is a mess; but it is definitely true that it would probably be better than getting an apartment....

One other thing that I usually like to mention that most people don't truly understand how it can impact you...class size. If I could have, I would have gone to a school with smaller classes. I'm just grateful, though, that we don't have 150 students like some other school do.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a few questions hopefully you guys can answer fully....

Where do you live? About how much is rent?
Where else were you accept to and what made you ultimately decide on NOVA? Any regrets, surprises (pleasant/unpleassant)?
What advice can you give a potential 1st year student? What materials should I refresh myself on to better prepare myself?

Thank you.

I live at Sunforest across from school and I pay a little under 800 a month with utilities. I have a roommate who is a dental student at Nova.
I was accepted to PCO and got interviews at ICO and NECO, but decided not to go to them, because I was already accepted down here and new I wouldn't choose them (too expensive and cold)
No regrets and no big surprises- school is a lot of work, but it is awesome to have the beach 15 minutes away if you want a little break. Overall the teachers are pretty good and willing to help (with a couple exceptions as you'd expect).
Go into your program expecting to spend a lot of time studying, but don't overwork yourself. There will also be time to hang out with your classmates and get to know your new city. You don't need to study anything before you get here except maybe anatomy (it's pretty tough here). Like the other student said, just expect to work hard and you will be fine :).

thanks for the response.

i'm really looking into the condo market. i don't want to "waste" money on rent. any students out there bought a condo? how much did you down and how much is your monthly mortgage and HOA? any troubles whatsoever?

Lol, our anatomy course has become a thing of legend with its difficulty.

i have taken gross anatomy at the graduate level at Barry University, so you could say i could do gross with my eyes closed. i know you OD students dont do any cutting, where i went to school, everyone had to help take apart the body= its sooo freakin fun..

I believe Dr. Nicholas Lutfi DPM Teaches head and neck. i know him for a while myself.

I live at Sunforest across from school and I pay a little under 800 a month with utilities. I have a roommate who is a dental student at Nova.
I was accepted to PCO and got interviews at ICO and NECO, but decided not to go to them, because I was already accepted down here and new I wouldn't choose them (too expensive and cold)
No regrets and no big surprises- school is a lot of work, but it is awesome to have the beach 15 minutes away if you want a little break. Overall the teachers are pretty good and willing to help (with a couple exceptions as you'd expect).
Go into your program expecting to spend a lot of time studying, but don't overwork yourself. There will also be time to hang out with your classmates and get to know your new city. You don't need to study anything before you get here except maybe anatomy (it's pretty tough here). Like the other student said, just expect to work hard and you will be fine :).

nice points, but i would have taken an accptance to PCO over NOVA. 2 exams per week at PCO when NOVA is 5-6 exams crammed, now thats a price you cant pay....

I will have two rooms for rent available this summer.
My house is located 2 miles from the NSU campus.IS in a nice neighborhood on PEters and University. We have a nice pool in our backyard. I am 33 yrs old female, in a hiring process for a police officer, my roomate is 27 yrs old and is NOVA student .
The rent is $ 150 weekly, all (cable,internet,pool,washer,dryer) inclusive.
Please contact me by text to 954-330-4762 or email me at [email protected]
Sincerely,
Paula

I am a current student at nova, and I will try to answer your questions the best I can....

1) Living down here can be very expensive. I live in Sunforest across from the school alone, and I pay a lot, but I accept it in order to have a place to myself. Many people have roommates of course and that helps immensely with cost. I would also add that many of the other schools that I an option with (NECO, SoCal, Western, Pacific) are also in even higher rent areas....kind of goes with the territory with how most of the schools are in huge urban areas and you likely won't want to drive to far to find lower cost housing.

2) I picked NOVA because I disagree completely with the idea that the asthetic stuff doesn't matter. This is a huge campus, with countless athletic fields, a 3-story gym you have unlimited use of, many pools, intramural, campus social events, etc...the big thing I learned in my time since getting here is that having efficient outlets from school is just as important as getting study time. Being able to walk or have a 5 min drive to most anything I need or to meet with friends helps immensely. In addition to this, the fact that you aren't just some random students on campus studying amongst undergrads or the same 50 people matters. There is a very positive scholastic feel to the HPD building and surrounding, and when you don't feel like studying anymore, having hundreds of people around that are going through something similar is a benefit.

3) Regrets and surprises....ok, first of all, I went very low-rent housing when I first started here and that is a bad idea. I came from northern New Hampshire, and a bad neighborhoos down here is a really bad neighborhood....Also, don't go in acting as if you are going to be Mr/Ms super student and not ask for help. This place will humble you, guaranteed. The people that thought it was going to be a breeze or were too prideful to get help are either miserable or gone by now.

4) Anatomy is hard....ave of a 64 on the 1st test, but the last one on head and neck is much better. You basically get no narrowing down, no review, just about 600 pages of a textbook you're expected to know. Optics took out the most people this year anyway, so lookout for that as well. 1st semester classes are mostly gen-eds tought by a rotation of teachers, all will different styles, and notes in about 20 different places. 1st year is not representative of the rest of your time here, that I know for sure. 1st year is basically the memorization Olympics. 2nd year is almost all conceptual, actually think like a Dr stuff...some of our best 1st year students got hammered 2nd and 3rd, so keep that in mind.

5) Prep? My sincere advice is to get completely wild and insane for about 6 months before you come here. Get away from optometry. Run as far away from eyes as possible...I bartended the summer before I came here and stayed out until 6 am every night. This is an ultra-marathon, so when you can get away, get far far away....

6) Bad stuff....ok, in the interest of keeping it real, here goes: A lot of your 1st year classes you will basically be teaching yourself. You will get powerpoints you print up in EVERY class and you will try to learn from those, and in some classes going to lecture does almost no good for you at all. Also, there is an undeniably strong (and in my view, toxic) mentality here of what I call "being a hard-a** for the sake of being one"...Test are NOT 5-6 at a time (we used to be in blocks years ago, and for some reason people think we still have it). They are generally on Mondays at 8am for some (sadistic) reason. You will at times have 2-3 in a week, but that is rare in the beginning. My biggest complaint is this for my school: There are certain classes/profs/tests that EVERY YEAR the average is disasterously bad, and nothing is ever done about it. There is no concept that having 100 students, most of which will amaze you with their work ethic (another surprise), all getting a 65 on a test is no longer our fault....very frustrating.

7) 1st year = Tons of rote memorization, very frustrating teachers in some classes, and a lot of learning. 2nd year = hell. you can literally walk into the library and pick out the 2nd years....nothing I tell you will do it justice. 3rd year = amazing. Work in the gorgeous clinic, see real people, and have incredibly good instructors (they grade kinda biased, but no one cares, you learn A LOT!)

I really hope this helps, and that someone would have told me some of this when I started. See you in August....just say "this guy who wrote me a novel on the Opt forum" and people will know who you're talking about! Good luck....

Hey incoming or 1st/2nd year Nova optometry students--I'm getting rid of most of my study materials, notes, etc that I've accumulated during the first 3 years of the program. PM me if you are interested.