Nova vs CUSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TurtleyReady4Med

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dear Humans,

I have been lucky enough to be accepted to two schools that I am very interested in attending and would like your input. For some background, I am a VA native who is currently interested in specializing in psychiatry.
Nova:
Pros:
>Great location
>Super Friendly Vibe
>Well-established school
>OMM program well-developed
Cons:
>Really expensive (estimated 100k all together)
> Very packed class schedule with little freedom 9-5pm
CUSOM:
Pros:
>Extremely technological up-to-date SIM lab
>Love North Carolina
>Tuition is 30K Cheaper
>Has possibility of 3rd/4th year near coast
> Would be interested in permanently living here
Cons:
> Suit/tie dress code
> All mandatory classes
> Middle of no-where
> Newer School

Thoughts? I would love to hear some of your opinions on how to choose between the two because I think they are both excellent programs!
 
I think the consensus is usually NOVA is the better school, but what do you mean by "very packed schedule with little freedom 9-5"? Is that mandatory classes?

A typical week for CUSOM has mandatory classes 9-5 M-W with 2 1-hr breaks and then Th/F are half days. Some weeks have less class than this. CUSOM is also not in the middle of nowhere as it's 30 minutes outside of Raleigh but I get what you mean.

As a future psychiatrist, start getting used to suit/tie. SDN is full of young pre-meds who seems to berate schools that require this but it's about time we grow up and look like adults as we'll be handling people's lives.
 
Thanks @harkas . The packed class schedule is 9-5pm M-F at Nova with 10 minute breaks every two hours, and lunch breaks. Lectures are not mandatory, but if few people show up the lecturers shut off the recording devices. I am also used to suit and tie from doing a research position, it is just nice to wear non-formal clothes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad