NOVA vs. ICO

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rani82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hope everyone is doing well with interviews and/or decisions!

Those of you that were (or are!) choosing between NOVA and ICO -- what pushed you one way or another? Was there something glaringly wrong that you didn't like that made you choose NOVA or ICO.

The April 15th deadline for NOVA is quickly approaching and I still can't decide between the two schools. Everyone says "Go where you will be happy". But the dilemma arises when the answer is - "What if I will be happy at BOTH!"

Any help you can offer will be great! :luck: to everyone

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The obvious things come into to play. Look at the board pass rates. Many people will say that you can learn what you want at any school, and that does have some truth, but the schools with the highest pass rates may prepare the students more. Then, look at price. Go to the cheapest one. Many people don't look at that when paying the debt back is 4 years away, but from someone graduating in 52 days...the debt is very real no matter how low the interest rate. In my class, if you took out full loans every year, you will owe about $900 per month for 30 years. Do the math, less debt is a very important issue.

rpames hit pretty much what I was going to say. If you'll be happy at both schools weigh board rates and cost. Going to a state school I owe HALF of what my NOVA grad colleagues do, which becomes very important for things like mortgage applications, car loans, and small business loans. your debt to income ratio IS looked at.

It's definitely not an easy decision.. good luck with your choice !

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for your advice and input!

rpames or anyone that can help: when does ICO get you into the clinic? Also, are there restrictions on what kind of externships you have to do? I thought at ICO you have to do an externship at the Illinois Eye Institute and one at a VA hospital and you have 2 elective sites - is this correct?

Can anyone tell me exactly when NOVA gets their students into the clinic? I think Nova requires 2 sites affiliated with NOVA in South Florida, 1 ocular disease site and 1 elective - please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks everyone - believe it or not - this is actually helping :) I have some very important points to add to my pro/con list!

Thanks so much for your advice and input!

rpames or anyone that can help: when does ICO get you into the clinic? Also, are there restrictions on what kind of externships you have to do? I thought at ICO you have to do an externship at the Illinois Eye Institute and one at a VA hospital and you have 2 elective sites - is this correct?

Can anyone tell me exactly when NOVA gets their students into the clinic? I think Nova requires 2 sites affiliated with NOVA in South Florida, 1 ocular disease site and 1 elective - please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks everyone - believe it or not - this is actually helping :) I have some very important points to add to my pro/con list!

clinic starts with observations in first and second years and then you go to clinc at the end of second year. externships are all over the place, we just picked, we have even one in china!! all over - one has to be medical or surgical and the other can be anything. hope this helps!!!

Wow this is my EXACT dilemma, I need to decide between ICO and NOVA-the only 2 schools I applied to. I'm just not sure where I'll be more happy. Did you make a decision?

For current ICO and and NOVA students, is there anything you wish you knew before you started?

What's the social environment like? I got slightly different vibes from both schools, not necessarily positive or negative, just different.