NOVA vs. NECO

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Notorious Desi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I recently heard the good word from NECO that I have been accepted for fall 2008. I applied to five schools: NECO, ICO, PCO, SUNY and NOVA Southeastern. I interviewed at NECO last friday and I have PCO coming up in two weeks. I haven't heard back from SUNY or ICO yet. Additionally, I just got an interview request from NOVA Southeastern but have yet to schedule it. My question to you all is: Other than the lower cost (approx. $5,000/year in tuition and maybe a few thousand a year on housing and living expenses/ year) and the beautiful campus and weather, is there really a reason why I should consider NOVA over NECO? I understand that $25,000 total more for NECO is nothing to sneeze at and I wouldn't mind basking in 75 degree weather all year ... but as I understand it, NECO is considered to be a stronger institution. How much does it matter where you get your degree from if at all? Tell me why I should or shouldn't consider NOVA over NECO or the other way around ... Pros and Cons of Both. Thanks for your input and good luck to all the applicants this year. :D

p.s. I posted this here and in pre-optometry because I wanted to hear from students that actually go to one of these schools too... also I guess you could considered me enrolled in NECO ... thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i don't know if I will be able to help you but I graduated from NECO almost 15 years ago. Boston is a great city with many young people and considered the meca of educational institutions. I spend 4 memorable years their which I will never forget. Loved Boston. I can't comment on sunny Florida NOVA other than been there for vacations and layovers to the Caribbean BUT anywhere you go just do well. Pass all your classes, pass your Optometry National Boards I II and I think III, pass your clinical/ state licensing exams and you are an optometrist.
NECO over the many decades has produced top notch optometrists, leaders/ experts in all aspects of Optometry. I can't tell you if they are better than X Y or Z academically or not; but you'll get a heck of a CLINICAL education while you are their.
All the BEST.

Thanks for the response hello07. I must agree... I loved Boston. Its definately young and they seem to have a great clinical set-up for rotations and what not. They start you with clinicals once a week now in your first year which is pretty progressive. From your answer and other posts on the forum it seems like it really doesnt matter all that much from where you graduated as long as you do well, pass everything, and get the most out of the experience. I'm originally from Montreal so the cold in Boston isnt an issue but why freeze when you can "short and t-shirt" it i guess.

In any case, I guess I'll fly down to Ft. Lauderdale and see what they have to offer ... in the end its more important that you fit well with the school than anything else. NECO is definately clearly established and is closer to home for me (I live in Baltimore now) but its not like I'm applying to law school where it kinda does matter where you get your degree from. I defiately should shop around and weigh my options.

If anyone else has any other opinions or comments please let me know... this is a decision that greatly affects the next 4 years of my life if not its entirety. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at NECO last year and was accepted, however, I decided to come to NOVA.

There were many reasons why I chose NOVA, but I guess the main ones were cost of living/tuition and the facilities of the school. Personally, I didnt like the building NECO was in, and it seemed like the school was kind of old. I also wasnt sure if I wanted to be in a congested city. I believe that the distance from the school to the clinic was also a factor for me too.

I immediately fell in love with NOVA the first time I saw it. You really have to come down here to see it to believe it. I also liked the atmosphere of NOVA - you are in a building with other health professions (dentistry, DO, pharmacy) and that really appealed to me.

I think that you get the same thing out of whichever optometry school you choose. The most important thing is where YOU can see yourself living. I had to do a lot of thinking and weigh the pros and cons of each school, but in the end I am glad I picked NOVA.

I really suggest you come down here and visit the school. It's an important decision to make and you want to be able to keep your options open. If you have any other questions about NOVA, feel free to PM me.

I too chose Nova over Newenco. However, I thought it was a lovely school and the people were very nice; I even stayed with some of the students and had a chance to go out around Boston and all. In the end, I think I chose here because of the weather and the fact that the people were so nice. Alas, looks can be deceiving. I'm still glad I went here, but I don't think I would be any unhappier had I chosen to go to Boston. And let me just say, it is NOT cheap to live here. In fact, I would guess the costs are pretty comparable. I think the only thing that could win out in Boston is if the class sizes are smaller (I can't remember if they are.) Otherwise, if you want to stay close to home and you can stand the weather, you should just go to Newenco. The curriculums are comparable and I can't imagine that Nova has anything over the other.

I chose Nova and I'm really glad I did. I was a better fit for me. NECO would have been closer to home for me too, but honestly when you're in Optometry school, finding the time to make trips home is really difficult. The cost of living is pretty high in Boston too. If you have a car, factor in that you'll need to spend a good amount of money monthly just to park it. Just check out Nova and see what it has to offer you and pick where you feel most comfortable. If you have any questions, PM me.

I agree with what the others said about making sure its a good fit for YOU. Nova has been awesome for me. I thought I'd end up at either ICO or PCO but I'm soooooooooooo glad I chose Nova. Board pass rates are great for both nationals and state exams but more important is the clinics. the doctors here are really awesome and know their stuff!!!