NOVA vs SCO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

preoptometrystudent13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently just interviewed at NOVA and got accepted. I really loved the environment and the integration with the other health professional students. I really felt comfortable on campus and in fort lauderdale in general.The only thing about NOVA is its very hectic, and I don't know if that would stress me out or not. I also interviewed and got accepted at SCO. I loved their eye center and I know their clinical education is more rigorous. But I didn't like how secluded the optometry school is.

Any advice on which school I should pick? I made a pros and cons list and that just confused me more! Any current students at either school that could give me some insight would be much appreciated.

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I'm Pre-Opt right now about to start studying for the OAT (I'm nervous) but I live in Fort Lauderdale and know a few Eye docs that graduated from NSU and loved it there. Congratulations on the acceptance to both schools! Best of luck!

Hi I'm Pre-Opt right now about to start studying for the OAT (I'm nervous) but I live in Fort Lauderdale and know a few Eye docs that graduated from NSU and loved it there. Congratulations on the acceptance to both schools! Best of luck!

Thank you! I'm leaning towards NSU but just the cost of living I'm worried about as compared to Memphis is a lot higher. And good luck studying for the OAT :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in the same boat as you, even though I live in FL. Ended up choosing Nova :)

May be a little bias since i went to SCO...

1) Huge plus for SCO students is they are learning all this information from OPTOMETRISTS, and professors correlate that information to teach you important things when it comes to patient care.

2) Cost of living in Memphis >>>

3) Memphis is underrated as a city. Loved it there!! Miss it for sure!

I ended up choosing NOVA too. I just felt right at home there, and I just paid my deposit online actually :)

Would you mind sharing your application stats (gpa's, oat scores, etc)? I applied there recently and am waiting to hear...congrats on your choice! =)