NOVA vs UF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

landakerjenna

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
NOVA vs UF

give me pros and cons, i could not find like ranking on nova so i m kinda confused

lol

Members don't see this ad.

UF=I've heard of NOVA=I haven't

Members don't see this ad :)
NOVA vs UF

give me pros and cons, i could not find like ranking on nova so i m kinda confused

lol

There are a million posts on the subject. The only thing you need to know is that it is cheaper to go to UF. Anything else is debatable.

UF is by far the better choice if there are no other factors involved besides money and education. not only is UF half as cheap, but it's also ranked in the top 10, and NSU isn't. simply put, go to UF. its better.
BUT if there are other factors, such as family, location,etc...then you decide how you see fit.

UF is by far the better choice if there are no other factors involved besides money and education. not only is UF half as cheap, but it's also ranked in the top 10, and NSU isn't. simply put, go to UF. its better.
BUT if there are other factors, such as family, location,etc...then you decide how you see fit.

Hey Stringtheorist, I remember some of your earlier posts, particularly the manila envelope thread. I think the OP would benefit if you, as a P2, reflected a bit on your P1 year.

P.S. A school's rank is usually based on research monies granted. As such, pharmacy like medical schools use this information to entice students of their competitiveness. Many students who come out of lesser known program are just as knowledgeable. If NSU, like an earlier poster pointed out, haven't been heard of, what should I do with my future PBA Pharmacy education? If UF is far behind John's Hopkins and Harvard medical schools, what should the future UF medical grad do about the 'lesser' known degree? That being said, I would have gone to UF if it were in Gainesville. At the distance campuses, I probably would not trust myself too much doing lectures on line (where internet connection might be a problem at times), staring at the screen might also put me to sleep).

Truthfully, a Pharm.D. is a Pharm.D. I don't think most employers or residencies look at where a candidate is coming from - only that they have a Pharm.D. and are licensed.

The big difference between the private and public schools down here in FL is cost - FAMU and UF are by far the cheapest (one FAMU student I spoke with let me know that 4 years of their program cost the same as one year of NSU's loans).

(My class has a little under 10% of its graduates getting residencies.)

Dr. Stephen :)

--
NSU Class of 2008

PGY-1 Resident, Pharmacotherapy
Memorial Regional Hospital
Hollywood, Florida

I am biased because I go to UF for undergrad and LOVE it. But honestly, besides the fact that UF is a lot cheaper, it's really a personal choice. Both schools are going to grant you a PharmD. If you are interested in research, UF would probably be better for that.

Loving the distant site/online oriented UF program. I keep hearing hospital preceptors in Orlando giving preference to UF students over other schools... so on average we may be better prepared for rotations, who knows.

UF has a rich history of college sports and along with its academic reputation further cement the school as the best in the state of Florida. NSU also has a rich history and offers several degrees. In the link provided, look who's represent your (my) school!

Please click on current residents (2007-2008) to see what schools they represent!

Simply put: A pharmD is a PharmD.

UF's tuition is almost 15,000 and Nova is 18,000 roughly so the tuition is not a big difference as before. If u live at home and go to Nova then it would work out the same or a few thousand less which is not a big deal. Go to where makes u happy and not worry about money so much.

Nova is now $20,000 + another $900 for fees a yr. UF Jax is b/w $12,000 and $13,000 which includes fees. so thats almost a $10,000 diff a yr. I have bright futures which would pay part of my 1st n 2nd years which is why im strongly considering UF. Im on the same boat as landerkajenna. the only thing is i need sum1 to room with in jax.

hey cantw8 I am lookin for a roomie tooo.. do u still have my email or soemthing contact me lol

seriously, considering how much you'll be making once you get out, the minminal difference in tuition for both school is of pure triviality. I would go to Nova since its closer to where I live.