Nova

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nimette

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just recieved an application for a background check from NSU. Did anyone else get this or am I the only one? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

nimette said:
I just recieved an application for a background check from NSU. Did anyone else get this or am I the only one? :confused:

me too , just received it on Sat..Got my acceptance package about one month ago....

Ditto. I'm mailing it in tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too! I'm walking it in tomorrow. :D

nimette said:

nimette said:

I have a question regarding background checks. Do all schools do background checks for final acceptance? I was kicked out of a four year health professions school due to grades. I left that out of my pharmcas because obviously it would tremendouly hurt me. So do they look for criminal only or education too? And if education, what could happen if I have already been accepted? Are there any other people who know others in this situation?

calrx said:
Ditto. I'm mailing it in tomorrow.

I was out of town for a week and a half and I guess this background check packet has been sitting in my mailbox. I feel crunched for time because it is to be recieved by nova by May 1st. I guess I will be fine. I wish I had known it was coming. Is there any other paper work on the way?????

pillplease said:
I have a question regarding background checks. Do all schools do background checks for final acceptance? I was kicked out of a four year health professions school due to grades. I left that out of my pharmcas because obviously it would tremendouly hurt me. So do they look for criminal only or education too? And if education, what could happen if I have already been accepted? Are there any other people who know others in this situation?

I am not really sure if all schools do background checks, but most schools have it in writing somewhere for students to know.( ie student handbook) I am sorry to hear about your situation. It seems that it would be really difficult to check every student's info. I would have to think they would be checking more criminal info.... But I don't know... I had a friend who failed out of med school and applied to a MBA program and left out her med school experience. She got into and completed her MBA program with no hang ups. But it was a few years back...

Hey, I just saw I hit the 50+ posts mark!! WAHOO! :)

The background check is going to be a criminal one. Most Rotation sites won't let you work there unless you pass one (some may even require their own later on) and so that you can get licensed by the state as an intern. It's better to do it first then find out later that something is keeping you from completing your degree.

Yeah, there will be a physical exam form & an immunization form to fill out. You can start cracking on them if you want, by typing in "immunization form" or "physical exam form" on NSU's main page in a search box. All the health professions use the same one. It's good to get them over with if you have no idea (like I didn't) what shots you have/don't have & what doctor has your records. Also, if you do decide to get the immunization sheet over with, you don't have to start the hepatitis 3-series shots yet, b/c they do it in pharm school for everyone as a group.
-Chilla
PS- you can find out what else you'll need to fill out by looking at pharmacy.nova.edu --> Class of 2010 Orientation Information --> Orientation Checklist

nimette said:
Is there any other paper work on the way?????

Miss Sushi said:
Yeah, there will be a physical exam form & an immunization form to fill out. You can start cracking on them if you want, by typing in "immunization form" or "physical exam form" on NSU's main page in a search box. All the health professions use the same one. It's good to get them over with if you have no idea (like I didn't) what shots you have/don't have & what doctor has your records. Also, if you do decide to get the immunization sheet over with, you don't have to start the hepatitis 3-series shots yet, b/c they do it in pharm school for everyone as a group.
-Chilla
PS- you can find out what else you'll need to fill out by looking at pharmacy.nova.edu --> Class of 2010 Orientation Information --> Orientation Checklist

Ahhh, I feel like I have sooo much to do before the end of July! (Including finding a place to live! :eek: ) Just curious... but what are all of you doing for housing? My parents seem to think the best idea is to buy a 2 bdrm condo in the area.

Members don't see this ad :)
calrx said:
Ahhh, I feel like I have sooo much to do before the end of July! (Including finding a place to live! :eek: ) Just curious... but what are all of you doing for housing? My parents seem to think the best idea is to buy a 2 bdrm condo in the area.

Try looking in Sunrise, Florida. It's not a bad drive to Davie and you can find some condos there for less than 100K.

There are no more decent condos for less than 100K after the housing boom by the way. Maybe some are available in an adult community. A nice 2 BR is a good 150-200K. Good luck and enjoy.

voskoboy said:
There are no more decent condos for less than 100K after the housing boom by the way. Maybe some are available in an adult community. A nice 2 BR is a good 150-200K. Good luck and enjoy.

I use realtor.com, which is the multiple listing service. I didn't think they all said 55 or older. My dad lived in Plantation and worked in Davie at the Dolphins complex. Sunrise is still much less money than Plantation or Ft. Lauderdale and deals can be found there.

do you think nova sends rejection letters by certified mail? tracy said she sent out my letter by certified mail but i never received it. they have to send it again...

fsupharm said:
do you think nova sends rejection letters by certified mail? tracy said she sent out my letter by certified mail but i never received it. they have to send it again...

You got accepted! :laugh:

fsupharm said:

I'm pretty sure that calls for a Congratulations! I was denied last year and the letter came non-cert.; I was accepted this year and my letter came certified. :D

Background checks are criminal, no education but may also include credit.

Fort Lauderdale is where I grew up. It's hot as hell down there if you're from the north so be prepared, especially in August. Living expenses are going to be quite high but I'm sure the cost of education loans you can get are much higher than other places so it should work out. You will have NO shortage of night life down there and the beach is great. Go to Riverwalk, also Marriott Beachplace... total meatmarket and just a lot of fun. I'm jealous as heck being in Monroe NC... where is Monroe? Exactly. At least it's not as bad as Campbell U though. We even got a walmart somewhere...

Find something in Sunrise... Davie's going to be a bit far.

Find a good deal on a gun and don't ever run out of gas.

Rob

voskoboy said:

I've spoken to a few realtors and searched numerous websites and so far it seems like you can definitely find a 2 bedroom condo for less than 150K. Most websites even post pictures so you can get a general idea of what the place looks like. So far, it seems like there are a lot of condos available in Lauderhill, Lauderdale Lakes, Sunrise, Tamarac, Margate, and Plantation. I haven't had a problem finding decent places, but rather more of a problem finding a condo right next to Nova.

i'm going to NOVA for sure now......My plan is to fly down there by the end of June or early July to find an apartment and make a deposit, check around for area first, then will decide whether or not I'll need to take my car with me. Hey, do you guys know the public transportation around Nova school?? I hope there are buses and trains available....I live in Chicago for about 10 years, and yes, the public transportation is like everywhere...any input is welcome..ah, sooo many things to take care of..but it's still good :)

Public transportation is very weak I would say compared to cities like Chicago. There are county buses that comes approx. once every half hour for the route and there are small Nova buses as well that go along campus. Because it is South Florida, I advise for you to bring a car to enjoy the area. Auto insurance will be cheaper than in Chicago anyways. Oh by the way, there are no trains within 5 miles of Nova.

calrx said:
I've spoken to a few realtors and searched numerous websites and so far it seems like you can definitely find a 2 bedroom condo for less than 150K. Most websites even post pictures so you can get a general idea of what the place looks like. So far, it seems like there are a lot of condos available in Lauderhill, Lauderdale Lakes, Sunrise, Tamarac, Margate, and Plantation. I haven't had a problem finding decent places, but rather more of a problem finding a condo right next to Nova.

Apts are harder to find in south florida than before due to the new condo conversion boom. Start looking now. As far as buying. Its been crazy, eversince this housing boom. Look carefully at the cities you are looking into...... Sunrise, Davie, Plantation are advisable. Lauderhill, Lauderdale Lakes are not the best of areas, Tamarac and Margate are pretty far, approximately 45 on off peak taraffice times. You don't want anything too west sunrise, davie, plantation either unless next to the highway. Its tough, the prices are a bit outrageous... Atleast compared to a few years ago... Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

calrx said:

DO NOT live in Lauderdale Lakes or Lauderhill- UNSAFE neighborhoods- that is why it is cheap. Oakland Park area is not safe out West but East by the beach it is fine...but $$$. Sunrise has good and bad areas, Plantation is fine.

In terms of public transportation there is Tri-Rail and Metro-Rail however the problem is that these are one-line only.

You could take a bus from Davie to the Fort lauderdale stop about 5 miles away.

Do a google search, and you will see that the tri-rail goes from Kendall south of miami to Mangonia Park which is the north part of West Palm Beach.

Do not rely on public transportation in South Florida.
But you can do a google search for Tri-Rail there is a bus that goes from nova to the tri-rail though.

Congratulations! I live in South Florida and you most definitely need your car at Nova.

thanks guys...now I know more about Nova's (South Florida) area..It's great to hear from people who live there...yeah, so I'll need my car with me..It will be better that way, but i just hope that my car will survive as long as it can ;)

Going to Nova make me feel great, even though I have to worry about other things, but who doesn't??? awww, a great chance for me to get away cold and windy weather of Chicago, I need more sunshine and to get a tan, a good one!! Thanks again for all yr responses, it's helpful...

ANy more response, advice from people who live around Nova's area are welcome... :)