Now or later?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweet2th

ready to roll
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I could potentially put in my application NOW and get LOR in before PCOMs deadline of Feb 1. I am ready. Spoke with undergrad pre-med advisor today and she will not work with me since she thinks it is too late and wants me to take MCAT again in April (first time in 2002 got a 21). Then she will put my packet together this summer and thinks I will be a strong candidate. Also she would have me get 4 science teacher recommendations and 1-4 non-science teacher recs. Is this not totally excessive??

Can I not just get my science advisor, spanish advisor, master level prof letter, my current MD boss, a DO letter....seal 'er up and say a prayer??? Or should I take the advise of the advisor??

Members don't see this ad.

Can I not just get my science advisor, spanish advisor, master level prof letter, my current MD boss, a DO letter....seal 'er up and say a prayer??? Or should I take the advise of the advisor??[/QUOTE]

You can definetely do this...plenty of people apply without committee letters. And whats nice about it is, you can get these letters, and if you don't get into PCOM this cycle, just put them in your file for next cycle when you apply to a broader range of schools. This way, you'll have a good chunk of your LOR preparation done.

With that said, applying to PCOM so late (especially if you have not sent in your aacomas yet) with an mcat of 21 is somewhat of a longshot, IMO. Waiting till next cycle might save you money and stress. Best of luck!

If You can get it all together, go for it.

I didn't use the pre-med committee. I took the August MCAT and decided what the heck, I get round 4 people up to write LORs...that's all it takes... plus, since they have those LORs on file already, if I don't get in this year. In June all the LORs will be ready for me. The only thing I'll lose is the money that already wasted with the Primary apps...so just add a few more school... No problem!! :)

sweet2th said:
I could potentially put in my application NOW and get LOR in before PCOMs deadline of Feb 1. I am ready. Spoke with undergrad pre-med advisor today and she will not work with me since she thinks it is too late and wants me to take MCAT again in April (first time in 2002 got a 21). Then she will put my packet together this summer and thinks I will be a strong candidate. Also she would have me get 4 science teacher recommendations and 1-4 non-science teacher recs. Is this not totally excessive??

Can I not just get my science advisor, spanish advisor, master level prof letter, my current MD boss, a DO letter....seal 'er up and say a prayer??? Or should I take the advise of the advisor??

Members don't see this ad :)
So with the LOR...I ask these people to write for me (supplying them with my resume, transcript, personal statement) and they make a few copies...lets say I ask for 6 copies. Then they sign over the 6 envelope seals, give it me, then I mail them out to the appropriate schools. That doesn't sound so bad. Also, could you guys give me an idea of who and how many LOR you have sent in? If I ask for letters this week, what is my deadline that I should give them?
THANKS a TON....don't know how people did this without SDN.

As far as in Seal envelope... I thought all letter are dated. But most schools won't accept LORs that are more than 2 yrs old. But sealed envelopes until June is fine.

:) I asked 4 people (just in case 1 or 2 will be slow. Guess what? All of them were slow. It took them 2 months. But at least when I ask them again in June ... I hope they keep extra copies :))... LECOM asked for 3 ... I think 2 letters are the minimum. Then, if you're waitlisted then you can send in letter of intent, extra LORs, and updating on your CV/Resume', grades, etc.

PCOM is very specific that you MUST have a premed committee letter. As a substitute you may use a letter from your premed advisor or academic advisor. There was a big thread on this earlier. I used my biochem academic advisor and received an interview invite.

so for you
get 2 science LORs
get LOR from academic advisor. This letter must:
be dated and signed
on official letterhead
*must clearly state that it is your academic advisor*
state you are in good standing(hopefully this is actually the case)
preferably sent from the school/advisor

I started thinking about DO schools later than Junior year so I did not get the chance to know my schools pre-med advisor. I have no LORs for a pre-med advisor, they are all from professors, employers, and doctors that know me well. I asked 3 science professors, 1 non-science professor, and 1 doctor.

and this got you an interview at PCOM?

fitnessexpert said:
I started thinking about DO schools later than Junior year so I did not get the chance to know my schools pre-med advisor. I have no LORs for a pre-med advisor, they are all from professors, employers, and doctors that know me well. I asked 3 science professors, 1 non-science professor, and 1 doctor.

Also note that most schools require an MCAT from 2003 or later... so you would need to make sure that PCOM would even accept your score from 2002.

About the sealed letters thing...are you sure your school doesn't have a letter service? That way, the people you ask for letters send one original to the office at your school. Whenever you ask the office to send letters for you, they make copies and seal them and send them for you (they do it when YOU want, not your advisor). You won't need multiple copies...and I would think that some med schools wouldn't even take the letters from you (providing they found out - which they may if they're dated) because what's to stop you from opening one to see what it says...(not that you would, just sayin'). Ad you're supposed to waive your rights to see them and all...

Meh...sounds like a tricky one to me...