Now or Later?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fitz0809

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok. Here is my situation.

GPA & sGPA 3.32
MCAT- get back on the 30th - may have to retake because PS kicked my *****

I have about 120 hours of ER and peds volunteering
about 60 hours of research
and 40 hours shadowing an MD

My application is pretty much ready to go.

Now... I finally got in touch with a DO who will let me shadow as long as a like a few times a week. I also have a job opportunity in a hospital that I may be able to start in the next week or two. (currently my only work experience is an on campus non medical job) On top of this I found another MD who is willing to let me shadow him as much as I like.

I currently volunteer 6 hours a week and do research for about 5 hours a week.

I don't know if I should wait for my MCAT and apply at the end of this month, or wait and use all these opportunities in a month and be a little later in the cycle.

Any opinions are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely apply early. I cannot emphasize this enough from previous experience that friends have relayed to me. I myself have not applied at this point, but as soon as this deployment to the desert is over trust me my application will be going in after completing some courses needed for the MCAT. Your MCAT score will catch up with your application and being able to defend your score should be fairly easy with the other stats that you are stating here. Definitely shadow the DO, and make sure that your LORs are in place earlier than later. Good luck!

bump.... any other opinions or is everyone in the early boat?

Members don't see this ad :)
No need to bump when the last post was made three hours prior, but yeah early = best.

Submit your application NOW. Applying early is a HUGE advantage.

Ok. Here is my situation.

GPA & sGPA 3.32
MCAT- get back on the 30th - may have to retake because PS kicked my *****

I have about 120 hours of ER and peds volunteering
about 60 hours of research
and 40 hours shadowing an MD

My application is pretty much ready to go.

Now... I finally got in touch with a DO who will let me shadow as long as a like a few times a week. I also have a job opportunity in a hospital that I may be able to start in the next week or two. (currently my only work experience is an on campus non medical job) On top of this I found another MD who is willing to let me shadow him as much as I like.

I currently volunteer 6 hours a week and do research for about 5 hours a week.

I don't know if I should wait for my MCAT and apply at the end of this month, or wait and use all these opportunities in a month and be a little later in the cycle.

Any opinions are appreciated.