Now that you have a PharmD... what about nest egg?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Confetti mentioned he has a diverse portfolio. What exactly does that mean? Anyone care to explain how to diversify your investment?

The easy way is to just buy into a targeted retirement fund, they do all the work and invest in all sorts of stocks/bonds and rebalance it every year. Rebalance refers to shifting your money into more conservative investments as you age.

This is also kind of boring. I have money in here because I'm lazy, but I play around and have a separate brokerage account to buy individual stocks and other funds that primarily invest internationally.

Diverse portfolio = different kinds of holdings, basically... different companies in different sectors and different industries, and different types of securities. You do this because...say...if you held only REIT's for the past few years, all your earnings will have gone down the tubes as the RE market crashed. BUT, if you have a diverse portfolio, the damage wouldn't be catastrophic.

Another reason why I say to avoid investing in your employer. They may not go bankrupt, but if they have financial problems and lay you off, you're not only out a job, but you're out the drop in stock price as well. Double whammy.
 
Spiriva... what kind of hours do you typically work? Just curious as I've heard you have to go in pretty early in nuclear pharmacy. (I'm an early-bird, just not sure to what extent)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1351-GoldenRetrieverPuppy30pcSmall.jpg

I want one!

I think I need to look into nuclear.
what part of country do you work?
would one just apply to Cardinal/GE they train?
I think I'd need to observe or shadow a day to make sure, but I'm 99.9% sure I'd like nuclear compared to what I'm doing now.
 
I do 08:30 - 16:30. We have 5 pharmacists. 1 does the night shift (24:00 - 08:00) and the rest of us are on the day shift! 🙂

Great hours! I thought most nuclear pharmacists went in at 2-3 in the morning, so it's nice to see that you can have an "early" shift that is closer to bankers hours. 👍

I'm sure you've answered this before somewhere, but how did you end up going into nuclear? Were you a tech any during school?
 
Great hours! I thought most nuclear pharmacists went in at 2-3 in the morning, so it's nice to see that you can have an "early" shift that is closer to bankers hours. 👍

I'm sure you've answered this before somewhere, but how did you end up going into nuclear? Were you a tech any during school?


I think most nuclear pharms do have that early shift. the 1 or 2 am one. The one I had a rotation at had that early shift of like 1 or 2 to 9 or something. You basically did that for I think one week a month I think, but then the week after you did the really early shift you got like more days off. It worked out really well. I think it is a good option.
 
You do realize she's going to hate you when you pull stunts like that in a few years right? 😛

Good luck and take pics of the fish! Or we won't believe you caught any!!

oh..c'mon. Hasn't your pops done something like that..

Slow fishing with cold front. only 3 fish so I let em go. It's not worth getting my filet knife out for 3 fish..
 
I do 08:30 - 16:30. We have 5 pharmacists. 1 does the night shift (24:00 - 08:00) and the rest of us are on the day shift! 🙂

Be honest...you're really just a marketing rep for nukyuler farmacia.
 
Great hours! I thought most nuclear pharmacists went in at 2-3 in the morning, so it's nice to see that you can have an "early" shift that is closer to bankers hours. 👍

I'm sure you've answered this before somewhere, but how did you end up going into nuclear? Were you a tech any during school?

I like the day hours because I get to deal with the customers/patient issues more than on 1st run...where you spend the bulk of your time in the LAFW. And my manager likes to have me on days. We have a pharmacist who likes to do that shift, so it all works out. But Hpower is right...most nuclear pharmacies rotate their shifts, so the pharmacists probably have to do graveyard for a week, every month or so.

Well, I took the elective at my school...wasn't a nuclear tech though. Nuclear fits my personality I guess? I find it fascinating. And you're always managing multiple things at once...I like the challenge.
 
oh..c'mon. Hasn't your pops done something like that..

Slow fishing with cold front. only 3 fish so I let em go. It's not worth getting my filet knife out for 3 fish..

Of course he did! All the best ones do...doesn't mean I didn't want to crawl under a rock at the time though. 😉

Well, how'd you know after # 3, that 4, 5 and 6 wouldn't be coming along?
 
I think I need to look into nuclear.
what part of country do you work?
would one just apply to Cardinal/GE they train?
I think I'd need to observe or shadow a day to make sure, but I'm 99.9% sure I'd like nuclear compared to what I'm doing now.

I'm working in the mid-atlantic now. But yes...Cardinal/GE/Mallinckrodt will provide all the training you need. One of our pharmacists has 20 years of experience...hospital and home infusion, and decided to make a change to nuclear. So, I have seen people switch over...look into it and see if it's for you.

Let me know if you need a point of contact!