Now what do I do? was applying 2008 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDSABeach

Got a Dream Go Get it!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My GPA is 2.2 it was 2.7 and I was taking Organic II now. I sent for copy of transcripts and found out that the first time I took Organic II and drop the course due to overload of course. The school never dropped the course and now it's an "F" on my transcript with no proof that i dropped it. But, it showed my other course I had dropped at the time with Organic. I been studyng for the DAT hoping to apply for the 2008 cycle. Now with a GPA AT 2.2 and an "F" on my transcript ... how am I going to get into dental school? What do I do now?:mad:

Members don't see this ad.

There would probably have to be something really spectacular about your application if you applied with a really low GPA.

If you want confirmation on that, call up a few schools to get a definitive answer directly from them.

You may want to consider a Masters or some other way to showcase that you can handle upper level division sciences. It seems to have worked for other SDN'ers.

My GPA is 2.2 it was 2.7 and I was taking Organic II now. I sent for copy of transcripts and found out that the first time I took Organic II and drop the course due to overload of course. The school never dropped the course and now it's an "F" on my transcript with no proof that i dropped it. But, it showed my other course I had dropped at the time with Organic. I been studyng for the DAT hoping to apply for the 2008 cycle. Now with a GPA AT 2.2 and an "F" on my transcript ... how am I going to get into dental school? What do I do now?:mad:

First thing you should do is Go speak to the professor that gave you an F.

Members don't see this ad :)
if d-schools dont give u satisfying reponse....2nd thing i would do is go talk to my predental or prehealth advisor....i hope everything works out for u!
good luck!

First thing you should do is Go speak to the professor that gave you an F.

I did speak with the professor that gave me the advise about dropping the course the first time. I am currently re-taking the course with the same professor, again. But, he said, his hands are tied about changing the grade. I even asked about changing it to an "I" but, not an "F"! He said, If he was to change a grade he would have to do that for everyone that came to him telling him records didn't drop my course ...etc. He did add that some of his students that he gave bad grades to in the past had mysteriously gotten grade changes like "A's" from the records dept. When he got a copy he would notice the changes. I told him well records didn't hook me up!:mad:

The first thing you need to do is contact the professor that you got an "F" in. Although that semester has ended, instructors can always go back and make modifications to grades and so forth. The second thing you need to do is work on getting that gpa up. Even with stellar DAT scores (19+), it will still be quite difficult for you to snag an interview. Try taking some up level division sciences such as cell biology, microbiology, immuniology, genetics, etc. Take these and score minimum B's in all of them. That means no slacking up. In addition to the gpa, you have to hit the DAT rigorously!!

A few weeks ago the ADEA sent out a mandated notice to all schools informing them that all DATs are 19% more difficult b/c too many people were scoring too well.

A few weeks ago the ADEA sent out a mandated notice to all schools informing them that all DATs are 19% more difficult b/c too many people were scoring too well.

Wow.. i hadn't heard this.. I think this is good for the profession but its rough on you guys who have yet to take the DAT.. Good luck to you all.

The first thing you need to do is contact the professor that you got an "F" in. Although that semester has ended, instructors can always go back and make modifications to grades and so forth. The second thing you need to do is work on getting that gpa up. Even with stellar DAT scores (19+), it will still be quite difficult for you to snag an interview. Try taking some up level division sciences such as cell biology, microbiology, immuniology, genetics, etc. Take these and score minimum B's in all of them. That means no slacking up. In addition to the gpa, you have to hit the DAT rigorously!!

haha, you sure they aren't 42% more difficult?

i'd like to see your source on this one

Do you have a link to something that officially states this? How would they handle the fairness of somebody taken the DAT this summer for the 2008 cycle and someone who took it last fall, both would be applying at the same time?

no no, he wasn't joking, he was just misinformed. the test is in reality 42% more difficult as i suggested before.

really guys, this is for a fact, ADEA stated this themselves, they made the test EXACTLY 42% harder...no less and no more. now freak out!

:rolleyes: :laugh: :rolleyes:

You're dead wrong. I called ADEA and they said the test is exactly 41.5% harder:cool:

You're dead wrong. I called ADEA and they said the test is exactly 41.5% harder:cool:

Stop spreading lies!!! Its 41.549% harder, I just gave them a call.

Most schools have a deadline you have to meet to drop courses to get a W or to have no record. Maybe you should check the records department of your school. They appear to be at fault.

The problem for you is that a lot of people get in over their head with a course and just kind of stop going, but don't ever actually get around to formally withdrawing or dropping. Then, when the F shows up, they complain that record-keeping made an error to try to get out of the mess they're in. The favorite line is, "Well, I never took any exams. Wouldn't I have taken the exams if I knew I was enrolled in the class?" This is pretty much laughed off as being on the same level as, "Officer, I had no idea I was speeding!" Really, this ploy is attempted by a lot of students every single semester; it's funny, in a sad way, that every student who tries it thinks they're the first one who ever thought of it.

I'm not saying you're not telling the truth, but because this phenomenon is so widespread it will probably be assumed that you are lying. This is why whenever you add/drop/withdraw/whatever you want some kind of printout or verification. When it's just your word against theirs, the situation is not good.:(

haha, you sure they aren't 42% more difficult?

i'd like to see your source on this one

Don't be foolish and ignore what I tell you on here. I have a very good source my friend. I sleep next to a very important person in a high position within the ADEA.

Marion

The problem for you is that a lot of people get in over their head with a course and just kind of stop going, but don't ever actually get around to formally withdrawing or dropping. Then, when the F shows up, they complain that record-keeping made an error to try to get out of the mess they're in. The favorite line is, "Well, I never took any exams. Wouldn't I have taken the exams if I knew I was enrolled in the class?" This is pretty much laughed off as being on the same level as, "Officer, I had no idea I was speeding!" Really, this ploy is attempted by a lot of students every single semester; it's funny, in a sad way, that every student who tries it thinks they're the first one who ever thought of it.

I'm not saying you're not telling the truth, but because this phenomenon is so widespread it will probably be assumed that you are lying. This is why whenever you add/drop/withdraw/whatever you want some kind of printout or verification. When it's just your word against theirs, the situation is not good.:(

My professor is checking his records, professors get a notice of you drop the course.
All I can do is pass his class with an "A" prove myself.

i vote this as the most useless thread created in almost 2 years, a joke built within a joke...interesting