Now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Back 5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been preparing for medical school the past 2 years, either taking courses, studying for the MCAT, obsessing over my application, secondaries, researching interview questions and feedback and generally mulling over my performance etc: all in preparation for that acceptance.

Now what?

I've forgotten just how loooooong the night is :laugh: I found myself pacing around the house trying to find something to do. I contemplated just going to bed, because at least tomorrow will come faster and I can get up and go to work, at least that would be doing something.

I need to find a hobby again.

The gym, at night, is out because it's absolutely slammed. Maybe I will get back into video games or catch up on recreational reading etc.

How have you all handled the long 8 months before school starts?

Members don't see this ad.

Smoke weed, drink and all types of ill ****.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha so true. I spent like 6 hours today comparing the schools I've been accepted to. Probably do the same tomorrow, hah. I've even done some two a day workouts with the extra time.

I've been preparing for medical school the past 2 years, either taking courses, studying for the MCAT, obsessing over my application, secondaries, researching interview questions and feedback and generally mulling over my performance etc: all in preparation for that acceptance.

Now what?

I've forgotten just how loooooong the night is :laugh: I found myself pacing around the house trying to find something to do. I contemplated just going to bed, because at least tomorrow will come faster and I can get up and go to work, at least that would be doing something.

The gym, at night, is out because it's absolutely slammed. Maybe I will get back into video games or catch up on recreational reading etc.

I'm similar in that sense. During this past summer I was restless because I knew I had to do well my last two years. I was up staying late a lot even though I had volunteering the next day early in the morning and MCAT classes at night. At school, I use the gym on long days of classes and when I don't have exams the next day. Finish my class by 9pm, I make sure I wear shorts to that class so I can go to the gym directly. For me playing basketball helps. Depending on my energy level I play 5 v 5. Or just shoot around.

Back in high school, I resorted to video games a lot. But I have outgrown that for the most part. Only play one game on my computer that I've had for like 10 years. I usually play it when I have a light day of work in school which is very rare this term. I used to be a big gamer in my late teens before college started. Made more friends my last two years of high school and became far more outgoing. I would recommend maybe joining some type of recreational activity. I know some areas have adult leagues for like sports, etc.

Dat feel. I know it.

Im counting down the days until Batman arkham origins comes out. Im also working on buying a house (luckily for me I got accepted to my top choice first so I know exactly where I wanna be)

But honestly I'm extremely restless and don't know what to do with myself.

NontradCA's plan is looking more and more appealing ;)

I've crocheted 4 scarves since this process began....yeah....I don't have any sort of need for 4 scarves.

Now that I have an acceptance the stress is gone but the boredom still remains. I don't need 5 scarves....need to find something else to do.

Lol, sounds like we need to make a "post acceptance support group" on SDN :laugh:

I am having serious senioritis. Still finishing my undergrad. I'm finding myself just wanting to skip class and MAYBE even get a C lol!

So. Hard. To. Focus.

All I want to do is be done, pack the house and move!

A support group is a great idea lol.

Do people work around here? I put in 55-60 hrs a week i have no time to get bored:laugh::laugh:

I'm going to start canceling my other interviews and CHILL. I was sitting on pins and needles for the past few years. Now, I get to relax and fanticize about my future career.

Aside from that, I will try to work any overtime opportunity I have. I need to cauterize the bleeding caused by this expensive process. STAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do people work around here? I put in 55-60 hrs a week i have no time to get bored:laugh::laugh:

In my OP, I'm discussing the evenings, after work. I work a ton , which helps me throughout the day and weekends.

Yeah I work 40 hours a week....no opportunity for OT as we just have enough work for the week right now. (Slow season....lol)
However, I am so used to being in school full time and work full time that now I have all this free time after work its weirding me out. Hahaha.

I wish and pray just for a 20 hr work week.

I am ready to start med. school now, I know I will be living off of loans but at least it will be a steady flow of money.

I am currently stressing out abt how I am going to get my bills paid.

Read babypips.com and learn to trade. Great hobby and its all free

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Let's turn this thread into a "post your XBOX live gamertag"

Do not do this 😄, I have started doing more of my hobbies such as rock climbing and painting. I am also saving up for vacations ( Hawaii, Dubai, Australia and many more..😊)

You should interview and go to touro ca instead. That's what you should do.

You should interview and go to touro ca instead. That's what you should do.

To each their own, but why in the hell would the OP invests the time and money to interview at a school that is considered by many inferior to the school he was accepted to?

Touro CA is a great school, I'm sure. I even applied there. However, WesternU is much more established. From reputation to clinical affiliations to curriculum to even location, WesternU wins in every category.

To each their own, but why in the hell would the OP invests the time and money to interview at a school that is considered by many inferior to the school he was accepted to?

Touro CA is a great school, I'm sure. I even applied there. However, WesternU is much more established. From reputation to clinical affiliations to curriculum to even location, WesternU wins in every category.

;(

Do not do this 😄, I have started doing more of my hobbies such as rock climbing and painting. I am also saving up for vacations ( Hawaii, Dubai, Australia and many more..😊)

Do whatever you want. Soak up your freedom. I did, and even though I felt thoroughly bored and eager for orientation by the end of it, I still find myself pining for those days sometimes (this week particularly).

Now what?

I'm still working about 60 hours per week on average, and I'm auditing a couple of classes. I long for free time! Jeez. I'm jealous of you!

I will probably spend 6 weeks in China come next May. I also plan to take a cruise sometime in December. I think the next 8 months will probably fly by.

I also need to dedicate significant time to being less chubby. Damn you, stress eating!

As soon as I get those interview trips paid off, I plan on saving to take one last trip with some friends. But I definitely know how the boredom feels. I work my 40 hours over the weekend so my free days don't really match up with my friends' off days. However living in Colorado, being off in the middle of the week makes for a lot less competition on the mountain come snowboard/ski season. Also attempting to teach myself an instrument and maybe become adequate in another language, actually seen tutorials on pirate-speak haha.

Right now I'm trying to travel as much as possible while I still have the time to. I have a lot of friends that live out of state that I probably won't be able to see for quite a while after med school starts. That and spend time with my husband.

Now what?

Not sure how big the city you live in, but maybe there's another gym?

I am having serious senioritis. Still finishing my undergrad. I'm finding myself just wanting to skip class and MAYBE even get a C lol!

So. Hard. To. Focus.

All I want to do is be done, pack the house and move!

A support group is a great idea lol.

I'm finding myself vacillating from "keep pushing really hard" to some "senioritis." Not sure how to handle this. I had the same feelings after my first semester in my post-bacc. where i couldn't "wind down." The difference this time is, I am taking a pretty hard semester, lol. I will probably just enjoy what i have left and take some "fun" classes in the spring like painting or something. A part of me wants to sign a short-term engineering contract for some quick $$ though.

Not sure how big the city you live in, but maybe there's another gym?

I'm finding myself vacillating from "keep pushing really hard" to some "senioritis." Not sure how to handle this. I had the same feelings after my first semester in my post-bacc. where i couldn't "wind down." The difference this time is, I am taking a pretty hard semester, lol. I will probably just enjoy what i have left and take some "fun" classes in the spring like painting or something. A part of me wants to sign a short-term engineering contract for some quick $$ though.

What are these "fun" classes you speak of? I did not know such entities existed.

A painting class does sound interesting! I have two labs to take and then may fill the rest with PE courses lol! One way to get in shape before med school and get my 12 credits in.

Do whatever you want. Soak up your freedom. I did, and even though I felt thoroughly bored and eager for orientation by the end of it, I still find myself pining for those days sometimes (this week particularly).

That pretty sums up my last summer and the past few weeks for me. This may have been the busiest summer for me. Was volunteering a ton at three different places, was taking classes, traveled abroad, and went to a few weddings. I took my last few weeks of the summer off from activities and just stayed home. It was relaxing. Usually just did some MCAT studying (3 hours a day) and the rest of the day was to myself. I loved walking around my neighborhood to get fresh air. I don't like running outside. This past summer revitalized my dreams of being a doctor and I felt like a new person. I was surprised how I was able to keep up with being busy/taking MCAT classes/preparing for classes for 70-80 hours a week. A lot of my high school friends were doing similar things. Most of my friends were either taking summer classes or were on internships. So different from high school, where most of my high school friends just played ball all day.

This term could have started off better. Lately, I've realized how much I miss the summer and not the worry of getting great grades.

Finally got into Hearthstone beta, so that will at least be a fun distraction for a little while.

I feel like since I found out about my first acceptance last week, I have been extra unmotivated at work. I come in, finish my prioritized tasks for the day, and spend the rest of the time on SDN. I have also had many daydreams about quitting this job, but the money and the health insurance are important. Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. 2013 needs to be over already.

I feel like since I found out about my first acceptance last week, I have been extra unmotivated at work. I come in, finish my prioritized tasks for the day, and spend the rest of the time on SDN. I have also had many daydreams about quitting this job, but the money and the health insurance are important. Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. 2013 needs to be over already.
:laugh: in the exact same boat... except just a small difference -- no acceptance yet :scared:

Guess I should work harder since I might need to stay for another year :D

I guess I can be helpful to others by giving advice on SDN and generate some good karma??? I did donate to SDN yesterday. One of the better $20 I spent this year.

Breaking bad. :p

Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk

Breaking bad. :p

Never seen an episode honestly. Don't typically watch much television, except for sports and 30 minutes of Mike & Mike in the morning as I get ready for work.

Never seen an episode honestly. Don't typically watch much television, except for sports and 30 minutes of Mike & Mike in the morning as I get ready for work.

Me neither. It's on my "to watch" list. I gotta finish Grey's Anatomy first. Although it's getting boring, but I'm too invested into it to quit at this point.

Me neither. It's on my "to watch" list. I gotta finish Grey's Anatomy first. Although it's getting boring, but I'm too invested into it to quit at this point.
I love movies though :) Just got Despicable Me 2 and Turbo today. I looooooove animated movies. I almost prefer watching them to live action anymore.

Don Jon is pretty good

I want to watch the wire but I don't know where to find it on the interwebs

Google "the wire stream or torrent"

I try to avoid torrenting as much as possible. But I will probably end up doing it for this

At least rugby season is picking up again, which helps for the weekends...but I need stuff to do on the weeknights. Maybe I'll go run around during training Tuesday and Thursday nights.

Hopefully my bionic knee will hold up :scared:

I love movies though :) Just got Despicable Me 2 and Turbo today. I looooooove animated movies. I almost prefer watching them to live action anymore.

Love animated too! Need to see Despicable Me 2 and Monsters University badly.

Don Jon is pretty good

You stop it! Such an awful movie :rolleyes:

Prisoners/Gravity/Captain Phillips were all awesome though!

I want to watch the wire but I don't know where to find it on the interwebs

I hear The Wire is the best ever. I really haven't gotten into it after 5-6 episodes though.

I think I watch too many shows/movies :laugh: That will end in about 10 months or so, haha :(