NP attending at FM residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No, they're treated like physicians, especially in independent practice started. Which is even worse and more insane given the incredible lack of foundational education they have.
Lol bingo. Forget residents. They're treated like attending physicians and have the clinical knowledge of a late ms3-early ms4 (sometimes even, less).

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely report this immediately. You can make an anonymous ombudsman complaint but you should also have your colleagues report it. We had a significant issue in my program and there was a complaint or two and the ACGME did a thorough investigation, with the poisonous individual in the program getting removed. They are also supposed to never release the persons name who makes the compliant. Don’t be intimidated into not reporting - not acceptable for this to happen.

Reactions: 1 user
NPs and PAs arent treated like residents where I am at but they do make a lot more money for working a lot less. One of the reasons I am getting off the training bus (a scam) and taking the money in general medicine (internal med resident).

Members don't see this ad :)
NPs and PAs arent treated like residents where I am at but they do make a lot more money for working a lot less. One of the reasons I am getting off the training bus (a scam) and taking the money in general medicine (internal med resident).
How much they got paid? How many hours do they work?

How much they got paid? How many hours do they work?
probably 80 to 90k a year or so, maybe a bit more. It will be about a 1/3 (less actually) of what I make as a general internist in the rural mountain west. They work around 40 hours a week I'd guess.

For those of you who are looking for a group that will standing up for physicians.
physiciansforpatientprotection.org

Last edited:
We had an NP who was (sort of) treated like an attending, she looked over our home bound and nursing home program.

She’d go with us to supervise. Except she couldn’t co-sign any of our notes, and usually asked us what to do for patients when we made house calls together. We ended up running anything we weren’t entirely comfortable with by a clinic attending anyway.

If it is an off-service rotation, please make sure your PD and department leadership is aware and how this affects your educational experience. Every year, there is a resident survey and most institutions pay a lot of attention to the comments that go in there.

At my program nps were never allowed to supervise residents. This was adhered to very strictly by all of the programs as far as my experience went. Once I ended up at the wrong nursing home (geriatric rotation and several nursing homes spread throughout the city) with one of the NPs instead of the attending so I couldn’t write any notes since then the np would technically be supervising me. I can’t remember what they had me do instead.

The icu was where they were around more than anywhere else but still attending or fellow wrote on my notes and supervised me. Never the np or pa.

At my program nps were never allowed to supervise residents. This was adhered to very strictly by all of the programs as far as my experience went. Once I ended up at the wrong nursing home (geriatric rotation and several nursing homes spread throughout the city) with one of the NPs instead of the attending so I couldn’t write any notes since then the np would technically be supervising me. I can’t remember what they had me do instead.

The icu was where they were around more than anywhere else but still attending or fellow wrote on my notes and supervised me. Never the np or pa.
How is this even a debate? Residents know more than NPs and PAs. The idea of being supervised with someone who knows less than you is comical. End of story.

nice avatar

Thanks! Your prize:
36eca10f67cdfad472e7fafcca60b5ea--so-funny-hilarious.jpg

^
I have a dwight bobblehead at my desk everyone thinks its some famous doctor lol
I dont even bother correcting them I go along with it, "yeah its dr schrute the famous doctor who invented the schrute procedure of brain biopsy" or something like that