NP to MD - Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MVNT

Reaction score
Hello everyone. As the title says, I am seeking advice on what to do next on this premed path that I will be starting. For a little bit of background, I am currently an NP student who wanted to take the med school route years ago. Due to some financial issues, working as a nurse and then pursuing NP would be more feasible for me. Ultimately, the desire to go to med school never went away, and gaining the clinical experience I'm getting now only makes me want to do it even more.

My stats are as follows:
cGPA: 3.23
sGPA: 3.01
As far as the basic science requirements go, I have only taken Gen Chem 1, Gen Bio 1, and Physics 1. The one class that really brought me down was Gen Chem 1 with a C which I plan to retake since it's been 8 years. I had a strong upward trend in my Junior and Senior years with 3.95 GPAs in both. Currently at a 3.47 in my master's and expecting a 3.7-3.8 after this semester.

Paid Clinical- 3000+ hours. Working as a nurse in various settings. The majority was spent doing home visits for vulnerable patients in underserved communities.
Shadowing- 200+ hours. My grad school clinicals have me in various settings with physicians as preceptors.
Research- 0. Hoping to find something to get at least 100+ hours
Volunteering- probably under 100 hours. I contribute to specific foundations and help with resourcing. Currently looking for something to do.
Interning/clinical observation- 1000+ hours. Not sure how to categorize this, but it is the hours spent doing clinicals in undergrad + grad.
Have not taken the MCAT yet.

I believe that I have a strong story for my personal statement. My question is, what is the best course of action to take? I think I want to do a DIY post-bacc and try applying for the 2023-2024 application cycle. I am planning on taking 6-8 months to prepare for the MCAT and self-teach myself as much as possible while taking the pre-reqs.

TIA.

Edit: Current sGPA updated with upper-level classes.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A DIY post bacc is a good option. You need to increase your sGPA to over 3.0. Where you apply will depend on your MCAT score.

A DIY post bacc is a good option. You need to increase your sGPA to over 3.0. Where you apply will depend on your MCAT score.
Thank you for the response! I am still debating whether to go formal or DIY, but leaning more towards the latter.