NPI I vs II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

trixter888

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can someone please provide clarification regarding NPI I vs NPI II and how it may apply to my situation?

Currently I own and operate a private practice which is out of network. I have been credentialed with my state’s Medicaid and Medicare with my NPI I, however have not been credentialed with any other private practice at this time. For my patients, I am supplying them with a superbill which has only my NPI I number. Separately, because my practice is an LLC I did apply for an NPI II which I really have not been using.

Recently my situation has changed personally, and I am now considering working for a telemedicine company. I am wondering however how this will affect my current practice, as they will likely want me to be credentialed with insurance companies.

Questions:
1) If I get credentialed with insurance companies, can I still operate my own OON private practice?
2) If I can continue operating my private practice, should I then use my NPI II for billing?
3) From my understanding most insurance companies credential a provider only at a certain location. So am I overthinking this?

Thank you so much for help in advance.
 
1) Yes
2) Ideally yes, you should be using your NPI-II and NPI-I with claims submissions
3) Yes, you are overthinking but its good to in this case to head off claim nightmares.

I believe by consistently using and linking and doing your 90 day updates with NPI-II and NPI-I associations, that it will reduce the likelihood of claim misdirection. Possible, I'm wrong in this assessment. But also in this mix and more of an anchor than the NPI I/II issue, is the TAX ID NUMBER. This with its corresponding W-9 are more of the zip code insurance companies use for claim submission, IMO.

I have 1-2 companies that would use my NPI-II, I still submit it to them that way, but in their eyes the contract is just with my NPI-I and Tax ID number. The rest of my contracts are with my NPI-II and Tax ID number, I just happened to be the 'employed' doc providing the services for the company.