NPI Question

Started by newOD1214
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

newOD1214

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello. I just took my CA license exam, and still waiting for my actual license. I am still job searching and have not found a job yet, but can I still apply for an NPI #? It asks for practice location information and all. Please help!
 
I'm pretty sure you need a license to apply, but not a practice location.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I don't believe you need a license because NPI relates to billing and HIPPA and lots of non-licensed people bill medicare. eg: opticians in states where licenses are not required or other DME suppliers.

As far as practice location goes, I would just put your home address. They basically just need a place to send correspondence.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You goto the Noridian website. Then you start the Medicare enrollment process. They may need a copy of a license? I'm not sure. I remember when I had to update the medicare stuff I had to send them everything under the Sun, including a copy of my diploma. You may not need license for the NPI, but they will for the PTAN, which will have a CA prefix.