NRMP publish their data about fellowship match ..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

one11

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although data were published one year ago, its worth looking at the data

Results of the 2016 NRMP Program Director Survey Specialties Matching Service
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/2016-PD-Survey-Report-SMS.pdf

For peds, looks like letters, PD letter, residency program reputation and research play a big part for interview selection. Steps score not as important as the previous ones. ITE scores nobody really cares about them!

Members don't see this ad.

Although data were published one year ago, its worth looking at the data

Results of the 2016 NRMP Program Director Survey Specialties Matching Service
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/2016-PD-Survey-Report-SMS.pdf

For peds, looks like letters, PD letter, residency program reputation and research play a big part for interview selection. Steps score not as important as the previous ones. ITE scores nobody really cares about them!

Maybe it is subspecialty specific, but Step scores are pretty important. Not specifically in matching (though in my experience, it matters there too), but getting ones foot in the door to interview. The rest is pretty spot on.

I think it's definitely subspecialty specific. Multiple specialties have so few applicants compared to spots that even the top programs aren't really competitive enough to have scores play any kind of a significant role. I'm sure indirectly it probably does (e.g. reputation of residency plays a role and the residency people go to is often influenced by step scores). I'm sure for the competitive ones, it may play a larger role but there's only a few of those in pediatrics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also might have something to do with the response rate. Out of the 60-some endo programs, only 20-some responded. It's hard to know where in the range of reputation those programs fall.

well, looking at the data for one the most competitive peds specialties (cards for example), 52% of programs require a pass only on step 1 to consider an applicant for an interview. Scores above 220 for step 1 almost always grant an interview (220 is below the national ravage for step 1 takers).

Considering an applicant and ranking an applicant at not the same. While I don't disagree with that percentage, as I've seen people who didn't do well or failed a exam once still get interviews, come rank time, they typically don't find themselves at the top of the list. Of course, if one has outstanding research experiences, has a great interview, is motivated and has a career plan, that can make up for poor exams, but they always count. An again, this is specialty specific.