NRMP Quotas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prominence

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
the NRMP website indicates that the quota for a psychiatry residency program that i am interested has only 1 categorical position.

however, FREIDA Online states that this same program has 4 PGY-1 positions.

this program has previously given "prematches" in the past, but i havent heard at all from them. can i assume that the 3 other spots went "prematch"?

i would appreciate any thoughts on this topic. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

prominence said:
the NRMP website indicates that the quota for a psychiatry residency program that i am interested has only 1 categorical position.

however, FREIDA Online states that this same program has 4 PGY-1 positions.

this program has previously given "prematches" in the past, but i havent heard at all from them. can i assume that the 3 other spots went "prematch"?

i would appreciate any thoughts on this topic. thanks.

Its most likely the other spots were prematched. I had the same question about other programs and contacted the PD at 2 differents places and both said those spots were filled outside the match.

I would trust the NRMP numbers. Most likely these were prematches, filled at upper levels, or the program has lost funding for spots. Freida is good for general info, but some of the info on that site is just plain false...I don't think they update it very often.

Yeah - the NRMP numbers come from the programs themselves. I think there is a day when programs have to submit to the NRMP the number of spots they will be using the match for. Thus, this number reflects that.

NRMP data is definitely the most reliable and up to date. However, as to the status of the other 3 positions, best check with the program. They may have 4 funded positions, but only offer 1 through the match, or may have permission to have 4 positions but only have funds for 1, which is offered through the match, or may have filled those others outside of the match.