NRMP Rank list with transitional or preliminary year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hatshepsut

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the rank list allow you to rank and advanced program with the stipulation of a specific preliminary or transitional year? For example can I rank, 1. categorical anesth in milwaukee 2. advanced anesthesia in milwauke + tranitional year milwaukee? I have heard individuals tell me yes and no to this question and I need clarification before I apply on Sept. 1st.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't done the match, but my friends said yes, as did my school. You supposedly are able to set up rules that states if match A -> match B -> C -> D etc as it goes down the line. You have a primary match list and a supplemental list and I thought you can have multiple supplemental lists (which is what you are really asking) but maybe someone who has done it can confirm this.

You have one main match list. On that match list, you can rank advanced programs, categorical programs, or simply prelim programs. For each advanced program ranked, you can assign a secondary list for prelim programs only. Each advanced rank can have it's own prelim list, or you can have a single list, or anything in between.

The one thing you cannot do is "give up" an advanced spot if you don't get the prelim you want. For example, let's say you only interview in two advanced programs, A and B, which are in Boston and San Fran respectively. You also interview at two prelim programs, C and D, also in Boston and San Fran. Let's say that being at a prelim and advanced in the same city is very important to you. You'd want to do the following:

1. A and C
2. B and D
3. A and D
4. B and C

However, you cannot do this. Instead, you do:
1. A with supplemental list C and D
2. B with supplemental list D and C

This tries to match to you A first, and if successful to C. But you cannot "give up" your spot in A if you don't get C and try for a B/D match. If you only list C on your supplemental for A above and don't get it, you'll still match at A and end up in the scramble for a prelim.