NRMP rules for residency switch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeahfoo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in an advanced program as a 2nd year (originally matched through NRMP) and I had a family issue with my wife which has traumatized her and she will not live in the area that we are matched to (I dont want to get into nitty gritty details of this). I decided to look for a switch to a Family Medicine program in an area with more support for her. I am going through NRMP for this..is this okay or is it a match violation?
Also, I decided to ask about a possible PGY-3 spot for the same specialty I am currently in in the same area and they may possibly have one but will not know until March. What if I "matched" through the NRMP for Family Medicine but signed with this program out of the match for the PGY-3 spot before I knew the results of the match? What should I do? Withdraw from NRMP and hope to be offered the PGY-3 spot that "may" be available? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Getting another spot in the NRMP match is not a match violation. Your match commitment simply stated that you needed to start your PGY-2 advanced position, which you did. You are free to match to another program....

... with the small problem that the match deadline was yesterday. So, either you already applied / interviewed / ranked programs, or you didn't, but it's much too late now.

As a PGY-3, you're probably looking for a PGY-2 FM spot anyway, which is not in the match.

So:
1. Forget the match, I doubt you really need a PGY-1 FM spot.
2. Look for a PGY-3 spot in your field, or a PGY-2 FM spot -- both are outside the match and you can start looking now.
3. If you actually did rank programs in the match, then you cannot sign a contract until the match is done, and if you match somewhere you must go -- you cannot change your mind now. Withdrawal deadline was yesterday.