Nrmp violation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicemale

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am really in a bad situation. I was kicked from one of the residency program after completing 7 months of residency. I did not receive any residency credits for that. For 2009 Match I put down this as a work experience and could not fully explain the reasons for leaving in that.

Now my current program when they sent me the paperwork I told them I have a letter from my previous program they reported it to the NRMP. What should I do now ? the Nrmp can waive the contract and also might bar me ? any suggestions please ?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Moving your post to a new thread, as it is very much unrelated to the existing old thread you posted it in.

Hello all,

I am really in a bad situation. I was kicked from one of the residency program after completing 7 months of residency. I did not receive any residency credits for that. For 2009 Match I put down this as a work experience and could not fully explain the reasons for leaving in that.

Now my current program when they sent me the paperwork I told them I have a letter from my previous program they reported it to the NRMP. What should I do now ? the Nrmp can waive the contract and also might bar me ? any suggestions please ?

Thanks.
It would help if you could fill in some details...

1. Why were you dismissed from the other residency?
2. How is it that you "could not fully explain the reason for leaving"?
3. Did you include this information in your ERAS application? If not, why?
4. Who sent the letter? Was it the current program that you just now matched into? Or was it your prior program that you were dismissed from?

Either way, if you were not honest in your application on ERAS... I think they have the right to negate your contract. From their perspective, you lied on your application by not being forthright about the circumstances of you leaving residency. I think its in your best interest to contact your new program director ASAP and tell them everything. You need your new program director to fight to keep your spot, and the only way he/she will do that is if you are being totally honest with them.

I agree with terpskins' excellent advice. It seems that you weren't totally honest during the application process, so yes, they could choose to negate your contract. Your best bet is to be honest with your new program director, and hope that he/she will give you a chance at this new program. But you kind of screwed yourself over by not being up front with this during the application process...I am actually surprised that you weren't asked about this in more detail at your interviews.

I agree with dragonfly.

If you lied or obscured the truth about training in another program previously, you are in violation of the NRMP contract (which requires that you tell the truth on your application) and your matched program can refuse to offer you a contract for residency.