NS a possibility ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cynicalutopian

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I see that ns is pretty competitive sp for IMG with an average step 1 of 235
could anyone pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee guide me a 27 y/o IMG with no research 211 in step 1 , Top 5% of my medical school and plan to improve step 2 to minimum 90+(even if I die trying)

Do I stand ANY REALISTIC CHANCE of making it ? if yes how good.Really would appreciate some help.Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

cynicalutopian said:
Hi I see that ns is pretty competitive sp for IMG with an average step 1 of 235
could anyone pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee guide me a 27 y/o IMG with no research 211 in step 1 , Top 5% of my medical school and plan to improve step 2 to minimum 90+(even if I die trying)

Do I stand ANY REALISTIC CHANCE of making it ? if yes how good.Really would appreciate some help.Thanks

I don't want to discourage you but I saw an article on the AANS website about matching into NS in the average STEP 1 score for those that got in was 235, the average score for those that got rejected was 220. I not 100% sure but I believe the number for IMG are even higher.
But anything is possible, you might have to start in Gen Surgery and try shooting for an unfilled position in NS after a couple of years.
Good Luck

komodor said:
I don't want to discourage you but I saw an article on the AANS website about matching into NS in the average STEP 1 score for those that got in was 235, the average score for those that got rejected was 220. I not 100% sure but I believe the number for IMG are even higher.
But anything is possible, you might have to start in Gen Surgery and try shooting for an unfilled position in NS after a couple of years.
Good Luck

Komodor, what do you feel about my chances in NS... please see my "NS Chances" post.

A year or two off doing reasearch in a neurosurgery department won't hurt. You'll find that some programs do not even accept applications from foreign graduates, but no one can predict your chances. Apply and you'll find out. (by the way, a 90 is not that great for Step 2...shoot for a 99).