Nsf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ResearchGirlie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone working on an NSF application? Why is it that I'd much rather dole out application advice than work on my NSF application?

Future grad students, be forewarned, writing those personal statements does not end once you're admitted!

My latest challenge with this process is writing a personal statement that doesn't completely rehash my research experience essay, and also staying away from using terms that are too clinical. Anyone want to commiserate?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there.

I've been writing mine. And yeah, there's some overlap b/t personal statement and research experience.

I just learned tho' that the NSF says they don't give out fellowships for clinical...

Do you think we're screwed?

My latest challenge with this process is writing a personal statement that doesn't completely rehash my research experience essay, and also staying away from using terms that are too clinical. Anyone want to commiserate?

I'm applying to internship and I have a consortium site that I have a very limited amount of space to talk about TWO primary areas of interest AND 1 or 2 possible secondary placements. I match up well with both placements, but there is added pressure since it is my top choice (by far) and I have to have stuff done by tomorrow. It is mostly done, but I want to make sure it is my best work. People say that most psych people are a bit OCD.....I can see that. :D

-t

Members don't see this ad :)
The way I understand it, NSF doesn't give out awards for things that are directly clinical, but that still leaves plenty of room for interpretation.

In other words, if you can frame things as neuroscience, behavioral genetics, etc. you've got a shot. If your plan is to run treatment studies...yeah then your probably screwed;)

I do know some people in clinical psych programs who have got them before though, just need to make it abundantly clear you're on the experimental side of things.

thanks for the reply. good to know. good luck everyone.... man... it's coming up pretty soon...

I'm so glad to hear other people are doing NSF too - this forum is the best for commiserating!

I think I had PTSD like symptoms when I first looked at the requirements, because it reminded me so much of grad school applications! I have managed to finish my research proposal (which was actually kind of fun to write!) and send it off to my advisors, but I've barely even started thinking about the other two essays. ResearchGirlie, I'm having the same problem with the personal statement - I'm worried it's just going to end up very fluffy since I don't want to repeat my research experiences.

Quite a few people in my joint clinical-developmental program have managed to get NSFs - you just have to be really careful not to propose a study with an abnormal focus. Make sure you read the program announcement. For instance, there was a guy in my program who was disqualified because his research focus was psychopathy. On the other hand, I know other people have gotten them after proposing studies on aggression, stress reactivity, competence, and substance use, so it can be somewhat clinical in nature.

hey, does anyone know if we have to send something special to ets to have our grad school scores sent to the nsf, or does simply filling out the check boxes in the nsfgradfellowship.com application automatically forward the scores on to the nsf?

ps i just took the subject test today and dang... a lot harder from what i remember than when i took it six years ago.

No, NSF automatically requests it if you want them to. There's nothing else you need to do but check the box.

thanks for the info... appreciate it!