NSU Budget

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanAmPremed

CAD > USD - It's true :D
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I've tried looking everywhere and I can't find the budget that NSUCOM has allotted for living expenses. I've looked everywhere but I can't seem to find it in the student manual or the website....anyone know what it is?

Members don't see this ad.

No doubt...Thanks.

I'm new to gov't student loans in the U.S. and was wondering, lets say I did my FAFSA now, when would I get my money generally speaking. I'm asking because generally in Canada a person applying for student loans doesn't get them until about the first week or two of fall semester. Is that the case in the U.S. with the stafford and gradplus loans?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
No doubt...Thanks.

I'm new to gov't student loans in the U.S. and was wondering, lets say I did my FAFSA now, when would I get my money generally speaking. I'm asking because generally in Canada a person applying for student loans doesn't get them until about the first week or two of fall semester. Is that the case in the U.S. with the stafford and gradplus loans?

Thanks

FAFSA is kind of just the first step. You have to also do paperwork with the school, and sign things and be paranoid. Just as a heads up.

But yeah, you should expect money in your hands after school starts. Nova will get money from the government, subtract tuition and fees (and maybe housing), and then cut you a check for the rest. You'll want to do direct deposit if at all possible, and again, be paranoid.

I expect the facebook group will be helpful with this. I haven't joined yet but I'll be in there soon I reckon.

FAFSA is kind of just the first step. You have to also do paperwork with the school, and sign things and be paranoid. Just as a heads up.

But yeah, you should expect money in your hands after school starts. Nova will get money from the government, subtract tuition and fees (and maybe housing), and then cut you a check for the rest. You'll want to do direct deposit if at all possible, and again, be paranoid.

I expect the facebook group will be helpful with this. I haven't joined yet but I'll be in there soon I reckon.

Be paranoid? Why?

Be paranoid? Why?

Lots of paper-based steps, with deadlines. You want to stay on top of what's expected of you and whether it was received/processed/approved. There are a lot of mistakes to be avoided, and a shortage of authorities who will answer the phone.

Just like applying to med school.

That's all.

17-24K for room and board if you live off campus.. thats a little too insane.

17-24K for room and board if you live off campus.. thats a little too insane.

Yeah, I don't buy it. I've never known a school to offer dorm housing that's cheaper than off-campus housing, if you rent a room in a shared house. I'd guess the monk-style number is closer to $10k off-campus, based on my last several weeks of obsessive craigslisting.

That said, it's ALWAYS good to have a COA that's ABOVE reality. Sucks the other way.

Plus this budget was before the subprime crisis. Rent's cheaper now. subprime lending explained

Try contacting the international students office to get an estimate of how much it's going to cost per year. I did that for the I20 and they gave me a number aroudn $65000 (but that's including tuition). Try calling them and see if that helps any!

Try contacting the international students office to get an estimate of how much it's going to cost per year. I did that for the I20 and they gave me a number aroudn $65000 (but that's including tuition). Try calling them and see if that helps any!
I'm not sure about international students, but I'm sure it is comparable to what you would get if you were a US resident. If you have been accepted and joined the NSUCOM Class of 2012 Facebook Group, I would be happy to post what I wrote up last lear from the Class of 2011 Facebook Group about the loan process.

I'll give you heads up now though. You will most likely not be getting your loan money from the shool until a week or two before classes start (within the orientation time). So, if you plan to secure housing and or live in the area before then, have some money saved up because you may have to support yourself before the money comes. The governmental money first has to go to NSU before it is distributed into your personal accounts. In order to transfer that money to your personal banking about, you'll have to sign a release form providing NSU with your bank account information and what not.

I have a bunch of information to distribute, but I will have to do so on the NSUCOM Class of 2012 FB group and/or through another more convenient means. Enjoy your time before school!!