NSU (MD) vs. RFU-CMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caped_baldy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel incredibly grateful to have been accepted this cycle as a re-applicant and would like to hear all opinions:

NSU Dr. Kiran Patel College of Allopathic Medicine

Pros:
  1. Location: close to Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. Weather is good and my preferred climate.
  2. Tuition is cheaper, $10k awarded to all students ($52k tuition). More scholarship opportunities. I heard this from a current friend that attends this school.
  3. Close relationships between faculty and student population.
Cons:
  1. MD program is only 3 years old so no residency matches have occurred yet. Not as well known.
  2. Class size is only 50 and I would prefer a bigger class size. Students do get to interact with the DO school students.
  3. Interviewed on Zoom this year due to crisis, so I have no idea what their campus is like.

RFUMS Chicago Medical School

Pros:
  1. Very good residency match rate for a lesser-known school.
  2. Large class size of 170. The more the better for me.
  3. Flexible 4th year where you only have to be in Chicago for 6 weeks the entire year for rotations.
Cons:
  1. Midwest weather with freezing winters.
  2. $62k tuition
  3. Location is North Chicago suburbs with the actual city further away.

Curriculum and research opportunities are pretty much the same for both schools I believe. Also, if any current students could share their experiences, I would greatly appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

I think the common word of advice on SDN is to go with the established school. Thus, I would say RFUMS.
It seems like the difference in cost of tuition is not substantial (40k difference in tuition is a lot but not on the scale I have read from others which is over 100k)

Also both places have great centers in the city to pursue research. Although Chicago is home to far more medical schools than the Miami MSA so perhaps you may have more opportunities there. Also if you state you want a bigger class size (why if you don't mind answering?) then RSUMS has it and NSU does not. Greater class size will give you more connections and a larger network.

Reactions: 1 users
I think the common word of advice on SDN is to go with the established school. Thus, I would say RFUMS.
It seems like the difference in cost of tuition is not substantial (40k difference in tuition is a lot but not on the scale I have read from others which is over 100k)

Also both places have great centers in the city to pursue research. Although Chicago is home to far more medical schools than the Miami MSA so perhaps you may have more opportunities there. Also if you state you want a bigger class size (why if you don't mind answering?) then RSUMS has it and NSU does not. Greater class size will give you more connections and a larger network.

Thanks for the advice! I wanted a bigger class size precisely for the reasons you stated: the potential for more connections and a larger network.

Reactions: 1 user