NSU or Lecom Bradenton?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDJH

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So guys i have been accepted to both of these school in florida and having a hard time choosing one has been around forever and the other will take it's first class this fall 07. How would you guys choose between these schools

Members don't see this ad.

So guys i have been accepted to both of these school in florida and having a hard time choosing one has been around forever and the other will take it's first class this fall 07. How would you guys choose between these schools

Does first stands for Nova? Well, this is tough choice. Both schools have full-accredation and good reputation. Compare housing option, tuition, school location, etc.....
I heard NOVA is more like research oriented institute (I heard this from my pre-pharm. counselor) while LECOM is not. If you want to be a retail pharmacist, community pharmacist, independent pharmacist...etc...I think it will be good to go to LECOM. But, if you want to be specialized pharmacist or research pharmacist...etc, I think NOVA might be a good choice.

I personally gave up the offer by LECOM -Brandenton and chose Midwestern because of the same reason.

But, you have to make your own decision. Please, DO NOT RELY on my post.
I hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
i would pick nova. i hear its a pretty good school. besides, lecom bradenton is a new school, so i dont know if u would want to be the first class to test it out.

Hi PharmDJH,

I'm a P4 at NSU...do you have any specific questions about Nova that I can help with? Comet81 mentioned that they'd heard Nova was a research-oriented school. I'd actually have to (respectfully) disagree. The program is, in my opinion, definitely clinically-based.

What are you looking for in a pharmacy school? What's your learning style? Do you know what areas of pharmacy you're interested in? (don't worry if you don't though)...I'm just trying to get an idea of what you are looking for. Will the area or cost of tuition affect your decision? How about things like organizations or fraternities? If I know a little more about what you're interested in, I may be able to tell you if I think you can find it at NSU. ;)

Thank you spririvaSunrise your response really means alot to me. My learning style is very straight forward, I try to stay on top of things and tend to study hard core leading up to a test like 2-3 days ahead 4-5 hour intervals each day. Do you think that well be the same at NSU. How are the teachers, caring about the student? Or more about their research and not about their students. Right now retail and clinical are my picks as far what I want to do. Have you found taking on residency and clinical pharmacy a common thing at NSU or mostly retail. Tuition and housing probly won't be a problem because I hear that you're able to borrow a lot, like over 30 thousand a year. Over all I'm looking for a school that's an easy transition to, and enjoy the experience and learn while im there.

Thank you spririvaSunrise your response really means alot to me. My learning style is very straight forward, I try to stay on top of things and tend to study hard core leading up to a test like 2-3 days ahead 4-5 hour intervals each day. Do you think that well be the same at NSU. How are the teachers, caring about the student? Or more about their research and not about their students. Right now retail and clinical are my picks as far what I want to do. Have you found taking on residency and clinical pharmacy a common thing at NSU or mostly retail. Tuition and housing probly won't be a problem because I hear that you're able to borrow a lot, like over 30 thousand a year. Over all I'm looking for a school that's an easy transition to, and enjoy the experience and learn while im there.

Hi again PharmDJH! No problem, glad to help. Your study habits sound fairly typical of those of my classmates. I always recommend to new students that they put a lot of effort into studying and doing well at the beginning of semesters. That really takes off the pressure towards the end when you have so many exams and they're all rolled into 1 week. As far as professors, yes they are extremely accessible and very willing to help out students. I never once felt like they were too busy with research to concentrate on classes or help you with questions if you visited them in their offices (they have an open-door policy).

Well if retail and clinical are your big interests, I think NSU is right up your alley. Residencies are becoming more and more common (last year's class had about 25 people doing a residency, and there may be even more in my class). So there's definitely something for everyone.

Overall I've really enjoyed it here. The faculty are great, the facilities are beautiful, the retention rate is very very high, there are some really great rotations offered during your 4th year, and I wouldn't consider most people to be competitive (there is of course that small group that's always determined to be at the top...but you'll find that everywhere). In general, most people are very laid back and you should find it very easy to find a core group of friends that you'll enjoy spending time with...and then enjoying the next 4 years! ;)

Thank you for your help it make the picture a lil clearer now.

by the way, Bradenton doesn't have a full accreditation status. I'd definitely go with Nova.

No, they don't. You should call them and ask.

Are you telling me the dean lied to me. He said they got grandfathered in. They're only allowed 78 students now, and will build to 120. I'm not saying your wrong, but where did you get your info?

It says on their website that the accreditation status will last for one year and will depend after that. They are independent from the ERIE campus so we will have to wait and see if they can keep their accreditation. I have no doubt that they will the dean seems to be very motivated about the program I love the campus and the people there just that it's new and haven't heard much about it b/c first class is this fall.