NSU Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adelarin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I just wanted to know how the rotations for the third and fourth years in NSUCOM go. Do we have to relocate for these years or can we just stay in Fort Lauderdale? I have been travelling all my life and all I want to do right now is spend the next four years of my life in one place. Of course with the exception of the occassional holiday. I know this was discussed at the interview but cant remember.
Any insight will be appreciated.

Adelarin:)

Members don't see this ad.

I will be attending next year and this is what I know.....There are 12 core rotation sites throughout Florida and you go through a lottery system where you choose your top 3 and are given your choice depending on what number you have in the lottery. So, if your top choice is Miami and you are the 5th person in your class to choose, you have a 100% chance of getting that spot. However, if you are much lower, it's more likely that you get your second or third choice. They made it sound like most people get their first or second choice. As far as Ft. Lauderdale, I am not sure if there is a rotation site there, maybe some of the seniors can help with this one?

do you think that most people get their top choice or does the school just talk garbage? the only reason i ask is b/c wouldn't most people want to go to either miami or southbeach or nice locations instead of ....holes in who knows where in florida. i really like nsu but i don't know florida at all and i'm worried of where i will end up my third year...also, you only have to stay in florida for 3 years, right? do you have to come back the 4th year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not really sure but i doubt they are talking "garbage". hopefully a current student will chime in and let us know, since I am pretty much ignorant to the whole process of rotations. The info I posted is just what I got out of the interview.

Originally posted by sholly
do you think that most people get their top choice or does the school just talk garbage? the only reason i ask is b/c wouldn't most people want to go to either miami or southbeach or nice locations instead of ....holes in who knows where in florida. i really like nsu but i don't know florida at all and i'm worried of where i will end up my third year...also, you only have to stay in florida for 3 years, right? do you have to come back the 4th year?

I personally am interested if I go there in going to Orlando for my clerkships. I'm keeping my options open because I also am interested in that school due to its affiliation with the Childrens's Hospital of Miami as well.

If you search in the osteo forum, I replied to a similar post about all the rotations sites... I am currently in the twilight of my second year and we have all had our rotation sites solidified for the past month. my class has 168 people in it and 91%, when the computer program was ran, got one of their top 3 choices. The other 9 %, one of which was I, were allowed to appeal and state our cases and in the end, they accomodated everyone. I will be very happy going to West Palm Beach next year and doing my rotations at Columbia, JFK medical center, the VAMC, and Palms West hospital. They are all excellent rotations. By the time all of you get to the point where you are choosing there will probably be even more options since they upped the class size to 200. I wouldn't worry about it, almost every person is happy with their situation next year.

Your third year and the first couple months of your 4th is spent in florida at one of the core hospital sites and that sites local branches and affiliates. The rest of your 4th year are electives you can do anywhere you want all over the country. Let me know if there is anything else i can answer, but do a search in the osteo forum... The point is, most of the class is fine with their rotation sites during the selection process, I was one of the few that weren't fine and they accomodated me so I wouldn't worry if I were any of you.

thank you guys for all your input. you've been great!! :clap:

so i can go back to ny part of my 4th year?...what happens after? do i have to come back to florida?

Originally posted by sholly
so i can go back to ny part of my 4th year?...what happens after? do i have to come back to florida?

Yea you have to come back to florida..... for graduation.

can you stay in florida for all 4 years then?...meaning, what does the 4th year mean? they say it's a showcase year but what does that mean?

Showcasing yourself and your talents to various hospitals you want to do your residency at. If you desire to do a residency in FL, then you can set up your electives at hospitals down here. But you electives are just that, electives. You can do them wherever you want.

oh, so you have to do the 4th year where you want to do your residency?

You do your 4th year at several places, or one place, depending on what you want. If you want to look around at several hospitals in lots of different cities, then you can do your electives at lots of places. If you are dead set on ONE particular hospital, then you can stay there the rest of your 4th year. I depends on what is right for you.