NSUCOM or LECOM-Bradenton ?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aqflipino

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been recently accepted to both Nova Southeastern University COM and LECOM-Bradenton. I am pretty much set on attending NSUCOM. However, I was super impressed with LECOM-Bradenton at my interview.

My logic is as follows: NSUCOM is better established (LECOM-B is brand new), it has an outstanding reputation in the region, a nicely mixed curriculum (not just Problem Based Learning), is in AWESOME South Florida (I'm more of a big city person), has the resources of a major university (including the state of Florida's largest library and a new huge campus hospital being built)...

LECOM-B on the other hand is so new. It has a lot of growing up to do. I was however impressed with how happy the students seemed. I am not 100% set on NSUCOM, only 85%... I have a small window to decide, and throw down my deposit. Can anyone give me their two cents on my pseudo-dilemma? :scared: :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

LECOM-Bradenton is an expansion campus of LECOM in Erie, PA. It is not "brand new", it is a campus that took the best of Erie and brought it to Florida. You will notice the students are happier because of the program, faculty and great location. I know nothing about Nova, so I cannot compare the two, but I can tell you that I am more than happy to be attending Bradenton.

But what are clinicals like for bradenton right now?

Members don't see this ad :)
bgreet said:
But what are clinicals like for bradenton right now?

Clinical rotations will be done at the same hospitals as the PA campus. That means, right now, about 80 hospitals around the Eastern US in PA, OH, MI, NJ, GA, FL and other states. Stay in Florida if you choose, or move around.

As for NSU vs. LECOM, I think that's an easy choice depending on your preference of PBL vs. Lecture. By the way, LECOM is not "just" PBL. The first 13 wks of school (anatomy, histo, embryo, neuroanat) are lecture, you have opp and clin exam lectures, and have lecture-based classes in ethics, geriatrics, jurisprudence, healthcare mgmt etc. You are, however, going to have a very different life at these two schools. At NSU, you would be spending most of your day at school in lecture - at LECOM, once anatomy is over, you would be spending just 2 hrs a day at school in a small-group meeting with your PBL group. Do you prefer learning through lecture or reading?

I just wanted to throw ny .02 cents here. I go to nsucom and I am actually happy at where I am at. I do spend a good amount of time in lecture and sometimes its great and sometimes its a waste of time. When its a waste of time many sit in the back, study others things (like me and my earplugs), or AHEM leave and go study elsewhere.

A couple of the things I like about the school is the facilities and the fact we multiple resources and money about us. We have pharm, dental, PA, OT, PT, and nursing. It feels more like a campus here and I get to play intramural sports like football, basketball, or soccer (not the best refs but oh well). Even though i feel like I never leave the health professions division its nice to know there is more of the campus out there. As for our rotations our sites are like broward, miami heart, miami childrens, Joe DiMaggio Childrens Hostpial, Memorial, the VA in West Palm, East Orlando Regional Hostpial, Sun Coast in Tampa and some others. I felt it has a strong clincial background.

I don't know much about bradenton other than talking to their SGA president and Vice Presidents at a recent meeting. They are just in their first year and its a very new program. I know we have been around for near 25 years. If your wondering go with your feeling about the school and the list of whats important to you.

As corny as it sounds, I followed my heart. I have a strong hunch that I will be happiest at NSUCOM. Thank you all for the input. It was a tough decision to make. I really like the fact that Nova is an established major university with resources (and money) galore and an outstanding reputation. Also, I love South Florida and have many close friends from/in the area. Intramural basketball and football... that just sealed the deal. haha jk.

:) Thanks again guys. Now all I have to do is rob a liquor store to pay my 2G deposit... lol