NSUCOM vs CCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spiderman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm writing to solicit some opinions about my current situation. I've accepted a spot at NSUCOM, needless to say I liked the school very much when I interviewed. However, I also have an interview at CCOM in mid-April. Money is rather tight right now, therefore I'm thinking of cancelling the interview (flight, hotel, car rental for 2 days really adds up). What I know about CCOM is what I've obtained from their website, brochure, and some postings on this site. I feel like it may be a good fit for me, and the clinical rotations may be slightly better than Nova. Is CCOM worth the trip? Should I take on more debt and visit the school or happily accept my admission to Nova and free up an interview spot for someone else. Your comments and opinions would be very appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

i would be happy to answer any questions you might have about CCOM. Email me if you like.

i was in your same position. after being accepted ot nsu i canceled 6 interviews but had a hard time canceling ccom because of its reputation. in the end i did cancel the ccom interview and so far have no regrets. some of the reasons i canceled are:

1. all of the nsu students i spoke with (except "adrianshore" were extremely happy with nsu

2. nsu answered all of my questions

3. too cold and snowy in chicago

4. i understand the nsu facilities are FAR superior to ccom

5. i did not like the 10 week trimester at ccom--sounds like test(s)--several every week

6. i like the curriculum at nsu--its on the nsu site

though i realize that ccom may have a better reputation (though they have never been ranked as far as i know) i believe that if you do well in school and on the boards you should be able to do whatever you want no matter where you go.

email me if you want to talk

Members don't see this ad :)
Spiderman,

Don't cancel your CCOM interview only because of money. Money is tight for most everyone at this stage of the game, but a few hundred dollars spent on visiting CCOM is nothing compared to over $100K debt you will be when all is said and done. The money you spend now during applications/interviews is an investment. CCOM could end up being your dream school, but would you risk not seeing it just for a small amount of money (compared to the big picture overall) spent on hotel, airplane, and car only?

[This message has been edited by Smile (edited 04-03-2000).]

Spidey,

Well, it just so happens that I just got home from sunny Ft. Lauderdale. I attended the spring conference of the Student Osteopathic Surgical Assn which was hosted by NOVA. As a MS2 at CCOM, I will honestly say the I was impressed with NOVA's facilities. Thats all I can really comment on. I decided on CCOM based on reputation and clincal opportunities. We have a completely different atmosphere at CCOM and it is really hard to compare the two schools. There aren't very many restrictions at CCOM. Attendance isn't mandatory (in most cases)and you are free to learn in the manner that is best for you. You will get a good education from either school. I would make the trip, but it is hard to beat the South Florida climate. Good luck.

make your decision based upon the third and fourth year hospitals and training programs...do your research now...don't believe a word that any student says to you during interview day. Four years ago the big heated discussion on the internet was whether a student should be told that an interview day was over, asked to lunch by students and then secretly evaluated by the students they were eating with...this wasn't at Nova or CCOM that this occurred, but this stupidity does exist...Dont cancel your interview.

Thanks for all your replies. Those of you who said that I could e-mail you with some questions, I will probably take you up on that offer sometime in the near future when I get all my info together. Smile and Shoey, good points were made about how another $350 is nothing compared to the big picture and the importance of 3rd/4th year hospitals and programs, respectively. I think I need to visit CCOM myself to get a "feeling" for the school. It may be an ideal fit. I plan to attend the interview. I follow this board regularly, but this was my first post. Thanks to all.

if money is an issue, like it was for me, you may want to consider the odds of getting in in a mid-april interview...probably not good. also ccom's tuition is a couple thousand a year higher than Nova's...though cost of living may be cheaper.

jscott, when did we speak regarding Nova?
feel free to email me and we can discuss its pros and cons completely, i just dont recall ever speaking with you so was somewhat confused by your posting, also I would be glad to direct you to some first years that would be willing to give you their opinions...not my own...the biggest beefs I have heard thus far revolve around:

1. poor handouts in the physiology department (actually they have improved drastically in the last two years, so quinns points may hold more weight) This year, one of the first years told me (ironically he has the initials JS LOL) that as a former teacher, he was very disappointed in the teaching quality from a educators viewpoint...also being from a teaching background i tended to agree)
2. Bad attitudes by some of the clinical practicum instructors (not just dr. SS, but a couple of others,
3. the plethora of "alternative" type courses that detract from the time necessary for studying and that often are condescending in presentation...e.g. Ethnocultural medicine, Medical Ethics, Rural medicine, and some of the other courses that are not basic science or medicine related.

Those have been the biggest complaints, that and the student representative and several others felt they were not able to talk openly on the internet because of some things the dean said.
They also seem happier now that they have backed him down regarding mandatory rotations in an inherently dangerous environment.

The big thing to focus on in the first two years is that MOST of your learning is NEVER in the classroom (nor has it ever been) therefore the ideal EFFICIENT student is one who uses classroom hours only when there is information to be learned...A mandatory attendance policy restricts this freedom and places the mature postgraduate student in an auditorium with 180 students (many barely out of diapers) making noise and playing computer games....not an ideal learning environment and not a sound educational policy in postgraduate coursework.

The postives are: lots of nightlife, good weather, good facilities, free use of very good microscopy, extended lab hours (these often are UNDERUTILIZED). Histology and Anatomy are strong. Biochem and Physiology are not. Neuroanatomy could be better, but is pretty good. BUT I am hardly in a position to say that any one particular course is better or worse than what CCOM has, that wouldn't be an honest assessment.

Second year is very haphazard educationally, many of the professors dont seem to prepare very hard for their lectures (as with elsewhere, cancellations occur more frequently in second year) it doesnt do a great job of transitioning people to third year, some professors who are poor presenters are kept on as lecturers due to some debt or relationship they have to the university not due to their ability to disseminate information (this also seems common industry wide).., but it wouldn't take much tweaking to make the transition easier and there are clinical professors here fighting very hard to make this change
Some of the Third year tracks seem very good.
People at North Broward tell me they like it despite the rough call schedule. Palmetto and Mount Sinai seem good. West Palm Beach would probably be good as an intern, but is very weak for third year (imho), I hear lots of good things about suncoast and the New Jersey track, Orlando seems very well organized and structured, with PAID faculty (which is a rare bonus). You apply to whatever track you desire but NO ONE is guaranteed a particular track, however a majority get their first or second choice.
Hope this helps a little. Dont put money down as a reason not to interview...you are gonna be 120,000 dollars in debt fairly quickly, dont base your decision on a $1000 trip. Above all else, remember that your education is YOUR education, If YOU take responsibility for it early, it completely anhilates any false sense of loyalty or reliance upon the school...These schools are in it for money, not your development as a physician and there are 3 applicants for every position filled...While they all would like to be ranked number one educationally, it is only natural that there is much less incentive for this than if there were 3 positions for every applicant. This should continue to improve however at Nova. The merger of southeastern which was a wholly market driven health professions university with Nova which is a much more sophisticated CENTER FOR HIGHER LEARNING (albeit market driven, the larger variety of programs means that the less market driven programs depend more on the POSTIVE REPUTATIONS of the market driven programs) this means that there is now a much greater demand on the HPD for quality in the medical education industry than if HPD were a university unto itself.
good luck. shoey.

About NSU
Adrian's points are pretty valid. He has a pretty good opinion, and when someone is speaking calmly about a school (especially a 4th year) they are usually give their honest opinion. Just watch out for a lot of exclamation points and bragging...

You really can't beat NSU climate, that is a big plus, in re: to reputation, I have no idea what school is better, CCOM or NSUCOM... I feel that most of the "older" DO schools are the same, dunno what i think about the ones that have sprung up recently... I think cost of living should be about the same in Chicago and Ft. Lauderdale... and in re: to the attendance policy, its pretty easy to get around, just show up at 9:00 everyday...

Questions, just email me, [email protected]
Q